Re: Body Armor [stop whining]

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by wilmadockery@hotmail.com, Jun 27, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Harvey Scobie wrote:
    > Does anyone have any idea the cost of each body armor unit that is issued to
    > the troops in Iraq.

    It's too expensive, the troops don't need it. Rumsfeld said it so stop
    your bitching and get out on patrol.

    , Jun 27, 2005

  2. RTO Trainer Guest

    On 26 Jun 2005 21:13:38 -0700, wrote:

    >Harvey Scobie wrote:
    >> Does anyone have any idea the cost of each body armor unit that is issued to
    >> the troops in Iraq.

    >It's too expensive, the troops don't need it. Rumsfeld said it so stop
    >your bitching and get out on patrol.

    You haven't got a clue what you are talking about.
    --
    COFFEE.EXE missing. Insert CUP and press ENTER to retry.

    SGT Robert White
    25U20, OKARNG

    RTO Trainer, Jun 27, 2005

  3. Just to get a plain idea, an armored personel transport vehicle (not a real
    tank, but looks remarcably like one)cost 2 million euro.A real tank cost 4
    million euro, at least.A Milan anti-tank missile cost 40,000 euro.An
    ordinary 0.30" bullet (ball) cost 80 cents.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

    Dimitrios Tzortzakakis, Jun 27, 2005
  4. Omega Guest

    On 26 Jun 2005 21:13:38 -0700, wrote:

    |Harvey Scobie wrote:
    |> Does anyone have any idea the cost of each body armor unit that is issued to
    |> the troops in Iraq.
    |
    |It's too expensive, the troops don't need it. Rumsfeld said it so stop
    |your bitching and get out on patrol.

    Did they have Level IV (IBA, police only wear Level II or IIIA, a flack vest is
    only Level I) body armor during Vietnam? NO During WW2 or WW1?

    NO. In fact the last time body armor was widely worn was in the Middle Ages.

    ---
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty ... servitude better than ... freedom,
    go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel or your arms ... May your
    chains set lightly upon you. May posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    - Samuel Adams

    Omega, Jun 28, 2005
  5. On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:38:34 GMT, in rec.photo.digital , Omega
    <> in <>

    Yes. http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_body_armor.php

    >NO. In fact the last time body armor was widely worn was in the Middle Ages.

    Because that was the last time, until now, when it was useful.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    I needed a drink, I needed a lot of life insurance, I needed a vacation, I needed a home in the country. What I had was a coat, a hat and a gun.

    Raymond Chandler

    Matt Silberstein, Jun 28, 2005
  6. Omega Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:23:15 GMT, Matt Silberstein
    <> wrote:

    |On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:38:34 GMT, in rec.photo.digital , Omega
    |<> in <>
    |wrote:

    |>|
    |>|It's too expensive, the troops don't need it. Rumsfeld said it so stop
    |>|your bitching and get out on patrol.
    |>
    |>Did they have Level IV (IBA, police only wear Level II or IIIA, a flack vest is
    |>only Level I) body armor during Vietnam? NO During WW2 or WW1?
    |
    |Yes. http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_body_armor.php

    I stand corrected. That is funny!!!

    Omega, Jun 28, 2005
  7. Mike P Guest

    Omega wrote:
    > On 26 Jun 2005 21:13:38 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > |Harvey Scobie wrote:
    > |> Does anyone have any idea the cost of each body armor unit that is issued to
    > |> the troops in Iraq.
    > |
    > |It's too expensive, the troops don't need it. Rumsfeld said it so stop
    > |your bitching and get out on patrol.
    >
    > Did they have Level IV (IBA, police only wear Level II or IIIA, a flack vest is
    > only Level I) body armor during Vietnam? NO During WW2 or WW1?
    >
    > NO. In fact the last time body armor was widely worn was in the Middle Ages.

    Are you trying to say there were no Flack Vests or any other kind of
    Body Armor in VietNam?

    Mike

    Mike P, Jun 28, 2005
  8. Omega Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:49:48 GMT, Mike P <> wrote:

    |Omega wrote:

    |> |
    |> |It's too expensive, the troops don't need it. Rumsfeld said it so stop
    |> |your bitching and get out on patrol.
    |>
    |> Did they have Level IV (IBA, police only wear Level II or IIIA, a flack vest is
    |> only Level I) body armor during Vietnam? NO During WW2 or WW1?
    |>
    |> NO. In fact the last time body armor was widely worn was in the Middle Ages.
    |>

    |Are you trying to say there were no Flack Vests or any other kind of
    |Body Armor in VietNam?
    |
    |Mike

    No, I am saying that they had only Level I body armor which was about as bad as
    having nothing. A Flak vest is only Level I which will not stop even a pistol
    round. Police currently wear Level II or IIIa which will stop most pistol
    rounds. the IBA armor that the military is currently using is Level IV which
    will stop a .30 cal. rifle round.

    The point is that expectations have been raised far more than any war in
    history.

    ---

    Omega, Jun 28, 2005
  9. RTO Trainer Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:55:13 GMT, Omega <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:49:48 GMT, Mike P <> wrote:
    >
    >|Omega wrote:

    >|> |

    >|> Did they have Level IV (IBA, police only wear Level II or IIIA, a flack vest is
    >|> only Level I) body armor during Vietnam? NO During WW2 or WW1?
    >|>
    >|> NO. In fact the last time body armor was widely worn was in the Middle Ages.
    >|>

    >|Are you trying to say there were no Flack Vests or any other kind of
    >|Body Armor in VietNam?
    >|
    >|Mike
    >
    >No, I am saying that they had only Level I body armor which was about as bad as
    >having nothing. A Flak vest is only Level I which will not stop even a pistol
    >round. Police currently wear Level II or IIIa which will stop most pistol
    >rounds. the IBA armor that the military is currently using is Level IV which
    >will stop a .30 cal. rifle round.
    >
    >The point is that expectations have been raised far more than any war in
    >history.

    Actually, the literature withthe SAPI plate says it will stop *one*
    30mm AP round. I'd imagine that anything behind the plate would be
    jelly, notwithstanding that systems that fire 30mm rounds don't tend
    to fire only one at a time.

    RTO Trainer, Jun 28, 2005
  10. Omega Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 03:08:45 GMT, RTO Trainer <> wrote:

    |On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:55:13 GMT, Omega <> wrote:

    |>|> |

    |>|
    |>|Are you trying to say there were no Flack Vests or any other kind of
    |>|Body Armor in VietNam?
    |>|
    |>|Mike
    |>
    |>No, I am saying that they had only Level I body armor which was about as bad as
    |>having nothing. A Flak vest is only Level I which will not stop even a pistol
    |>round. Police currently wear Level II or IIIa which will stop most pistol
    |>rounds. the IBA armor that the military is currently using is Level IV which
    |>will stop a .30 cal. rifle round.
    |>
    |>The point is that expectations have been raised far more than any war in
    |>history.
    |>

    |Actually, the literature withthe SAPI plate says it will stop *one*
    |30mm AP round. I'd imagine that anything behind the plate would be
    |jelly, notwithstanding that systems that fire 30mm rounds don't tend
    |to fire only one at a time.

    Unless you are trying to be a candidate for the Darwin Award, I doubt that there
    are few volunteers to be a test subject for a 30mm round.

    ---

    Omega, Jun 28, 2005
  11. Tim May Guest

    In article <>, Omega
    <> wrote:
    > |Mike
    >
    > No, I am saying that they had only Level I body armor which was about as bad
    > as
    > having nothing. A Flak vest is only Level I which will not stop even a pistol
    > round. Police currently wear Level II or IIIa which will stop most pistol
    > rounds. the IBA armor that the military is currently using is Level IV which
    > will stop a .30 cal. rifle round.

    Which of these do you mean?

    ".30 cal. rifle round" covers a wide range, from wimpy .30 Cal Carbine
    WWII relics to 7.62 x 39 AK-47 to 7.62 x 54 NATO (essentially the same
    as .308 Winchester, what I fire in my Remington 700 VS-SS sniper
    rifle). And even more powerful hunting rifles were widely available in
    Iraq before the American invasion, as hunting was a popular sport.

    I have a vest with ceramic plates, but it ain't rated to stop a .308
    Winchester, least of all one of the black-tipped rounds.

    Were I a sniper in Occupied Iraq, I wouldn't bother with the advice
    here to go for "thigh" shots. I'd go for center of mass shots and
    assume the vest won't do much to stop the trauma.

    (The kill rate of the Baghdad Sniper suggests he isn't much deterred by
    body armor, meant mostly to deal with pistol rounds and shrapnel.)

    And of course some of the freedom fighters have access to .50 BMG
    rifles of various makes.

    Baghdad is the newest training ground for snipers.

    Maybe they'll even recruit some of those old Bedouin guys who were
    certainly not "spray and pray" shooters. They know how to make single
    rounds count.

    --Tim May

    Tim May, Jun 28, 2005
  12. On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:55:13 GMT, in rec.photo.digital , Omega
    <> in <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:49:48 GMT, Mike P <> wrote:
    >
    >|Omega wrote:

    >|> |

    >|> Did they have Level IV (IBA, police only wear Level II or IIIA, a flack vest is
    >|> only Level I) body armor during Vietnam? NO During WW2 or WW1?
    >|>
    >|> NO. In fact the last time body armor was widely worn was in the Middle Ages.
    >|>

    >|Are you trying to say there were no Flack Vests or any other kind of
    >|Body Armor in VietNam?
    >|
    >|Mike
    >
    >No, I am saying that they had only Level I body armor which was about as bad as
    >having nothing. A Flak vest is only Level I which will not stop even a pistol
    >round. Police currently wear Level II or IIIa which will stop most pistol
    >rounds. the IBA armor that the military is currently using is Level IV which
    >will stop a .30 cal. rifle round.
    >
    >The point is that expectations have been raised far more than any war in
    >history.

    Yeah, technology marches on. Do you want to claim that we did not
    equip our soldiers with the best available technology in WWI, WWII,
    Korea, or Vietnam? If so, it was wrong then. You don't argue that
    something is right because we made the same error in the past.

    Matt Silberstein, Jun 28, 2005
  13. Mike P Guest

    Omega wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:49:48 GMT, Mike P <> wrote:
    >
    > |Omega wrote:

    > |> |

    > |> Did they have Level IV (IBA, police only wear Level II or IIIA, a flack vest is
    > |> only Level I) body armor during Vietnam? NO During WW2 or WW1?
    > |>
    > |> NO. In fact the last time body armor was widely worn was in the Middle Ages.
    > |>

    > |Are you trying to say there were no Flack Vests or any other kind of
    > |Body Armor in VietNam?
    > |
    > |Mike
    >
    > No, I am saying that they had only Level I body armor which was about as bad as
    > having nothing. A Flak vest is only Level I which will not stop even a pistol
    > round. Police currently wear Level II or IIIa which will stop most pistol
    > rounds. the IBA armor that the military is currently using is Level IV which
    > will stop a .30 cal. rifle round.
    >
    > The point is that expectations have been raised far more than any war in
    > history.

    The Flack Vests sure stopped 7.62 from a AK-47. I'm living proof. I've
    also seen them stop a 30, but it's according to how far away it's fired
    from. I knew some that had jock strap protectors when they flew, and
    some that used full body armor. All in VietNam. True most Infantry just
    carried the Flack Vest, and Steel Pot. But that was because you had to
    hump a lot of clicks, and the rest of the armor was to bulky, and weigh
    was a factor back then.
    You will find that the type of body armor advances with the types of
    weapons used in each war, and the training of the Soldier in their use.

    Mike

    Mike P, Jun 28, 2005
  14. Omega Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 03:30:29 GMT, Matt Silberstein
    <> wrote:

    |On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:55:13 GMT, in rec.photo.digital , Omega
    |<> in <>
    |wrote:

    |>|> |

    |>|
    |>|Are you trying to say there were no Flack Vests or any other kind of
    |>|Body Armor in VietNam?
    |>|
    |>|Mike
    |>
    |>No, I am saying that they had only Level I body armor which was about as bad as
    |>having nothing. A Flak vest is only Level I which will not stop even a pistol
    |>round. Police currently wear Level II or IIIa which will stop most pistol
    |>rounds. the IBA armor that the military is currently using is Level IV which
    |>will stop a .30 cal. rifle round.
    |>
    |>The point is that expectations have been raised far more than any war in
    |>history.
    |
    |Yeah, technology marches on. Do you want to claim that we did not
    |equip our soldiers with the best available technology in WWI, WWII,
    |Korea, or Vietnam? If so, it was wrong then. You don't argue that
    |something is right because we made the same error in the past.

    Actually we generally were behind the times. The US always is. We go to war
    with the Army, and equipment, that we have. We do not wait until we have the
    army, or equipment, that we want.

    Vietnam had all sorts of problems. What we now see as Vietnam era equipment did
    not even come into the supply lines until 1968 or so. Pre '68 was more likely
    to see Korean war equipment.

    ---

    Omega, Jun 28, 2005
  15. redc1c4 Guest

    Tim May showed his ass again when he wrote:

    (snipage occurs)

    > Which of these do you mean?
    >
    > ".30 cal. rifle round" covers a wide range, from wimpy .30 Cal Carbine
    > WWII relics to 7.62 x 39 AK-47 to 7.62 x 54 NATO (essentially the same
    > as .308 Winchester, what I fire in my Remington 700 VS-SS sniper
    > rifle). And even more powerful hunting rifles were widely available in
    > Iraq before the American invasion, as hunting was a popular sport.

    please cite when 7.62 x 54 mm was NATO type certified. also, please
    explain how it "essentially the same as .308 Winchester)

    > I have a vest with ceramic plates, but it ain't rated to stop a .308
    > Winchester, least of all one of the black-tipped rounds.

    thanks for the aiming tip...... %-)

    > Were I a sniper in Occupied Iraq, I wouldn't bother with the advice
    > here to go for "thigh" shots. I'd go for center of mass shots and
    > assume the vest won't do much to stop the trauma.

    we all know what happens when you "assume"..... besides, if you were
    a "sniper" in "Occupied Iraq", your life expectancy would be measured
    in days, at best. RL is not usually too forgiving of wannabes. hell,
    your heroes might cut your head off just for kicks, saving the GI's
    the trouble of waxing your dumb ass.

    > (The kill rate of the Baghdad Sniper suggests he isn't much deterred by
    > body armor, meant mostly to deal with pistol rounds and shrapnel.)
    >
    > And of course some of the freedom fighters have access to .50 BMG
    > rifles of various makes.

    cite, please.

    > Baghdad is the newest training ground for snipers.

    their attrition rate will be high enough to eliminate the need for
    a graduation ceremony for any class.

    > Maybe they'll even recruit some of those old Bedouin guys who were
    > certainly not "spray and pray" shooters. They know how to make single
    > rounds count.

    and their motivation for abandoning their traditional way of life
    would be what, exactly?

    you really should have someone who has knowledge of whatever
    subject you're posting on review your posts prior to transmission.

    redc1c4,
    (it'd keep you from looking like a moron on Google forever. %-)
    --
    "Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear
    considerable watching."

    Army Officer's Guide

    redc1c4, Jun 28, 2005
  16. RTO Trainer Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:26:06 -0700, Tim May
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Omega
    ><> wrote:
    >> |Mike
    >>
    >> No, I am saying that they had only Level I body armor which was about as bad
    >> as
    >> having nothing. A Flak vest is only Level I which will not stop even a pistol
    >> round. Police currently wear Level II or IIIa which will stop most pistol
    >> rounds. the IBA armor that the military is currently using is Level IV which
    >> will stop a .30 cal. rifle round.
    >>

    >Which of these do you mean?
    >
    >".30 cal. rifle round" covers a wide range, from wimpy .30 Cal Carbine
    >WWII relics to 7.62 x 39 AK-47 to 7.62 x 54 NATO (essentially the same
    >as .308 Winchester, what I fire in my Remington 700 VS-SS sniper
    >rifle). And even more powerful hunting rifles were widely available in
    >Iraq before the American invasion, as hunting was a popular sport.
    >
    >I have a vest with ceramic plates, but it ain't rated to stop a .308
    >Winchester, least of all one of the black-tipped rounds.
    >
    >Were I a sniper in Occupied Iraq, I wouldn't bother with the advice
    >here to go for "thigh" shots. I'd go for center of mass shots and
    >assume the vest won't do much to stop the trauma.
    >
    >(The kill rate of the Baghdad Sniper suggests he isn't much deterred by
    >body armor, meant mostly to deal with pistol rounds and shrapnel.)
    >
    >And of course some of the freedom fighters have access to .50 BMG
    >rifles of various makes.
    >
    >Baghdad is the newest training ground for snipers.
    >
    >Maybe they'll even recruit some of those old Bedouin guys who were
    >certainly not "spray and pray" shooters. They know how to make single
    >rounds count.
    >

    >--Tim May

    IBA is not "meant mostly to deal with pistol rounds and shrapnel."
    The OTV part of the IBA does that on it's own. Add the SAPI plates
    and it easily defeats 5.56 and 7.62 rifle fire.

    RTO Trainer, Jun 28, 2005
  17. Tim May Guest

    In article <>, RTO Trainer
    <> wrote:

    > Actually, the literature withthe SAPI plate says it will stop *one*
    > 30mm AP round.

    I think you've confused .30 caliber with 30 mm.

    Not surprising. Get back to your National Guard unit.

    --Tim May

    Tim May, Jun 28, 2005
  18. RTO Trainer Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:32:43 -0700, Tim May
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, RTO Trainer
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >> Actually, the literature withthe SAPI plate says it will stop *one*
    >> 30mm AP round.

    >I think you've confused .30 caliber with 30 mm.
    >
    >Not surprising. Get back to your National Guard unit.

    Nope. I know what I read.

    RTO Trainer, Jun 28, 2005
  19. On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 06:45:49 GMT, RTO Trainer <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:32:43 -0700, Tim May
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, RTO Trainer
    >><> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Actually, the literature withthe SAPI plate says it will stop *one*
    >>> 30mm AP round.

    >>I think you've confused .30 caliber with 30 mm.
    >>
    >>Not surprising. Get back to your National Guard unit.
    >>

    >Nope. I know what I read.

    I don't think you understand RTO

    A 30 mm round is more than 1 inch in diameter.

    There are 25.4 mm to the inch.

    Whomever is on the incoming side of that trauma plate is D.E.A.D.

    Otoh, since you're such a genius, do the experiment and get back to
    us.

    Lg

    Lawrence Glickman, Jun 28, 2005
  20. RTO Trainer Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:23:33 -0500, Lawrence Glickman
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 06:45:49 GMT, RTO Trainer <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:32:43 -0700, Tim May
    >><> wrote:

    >>>I think you've confused .30 caliber with 30 mm.
    >>>
    >>>Not surprising. Get back to your National Guard unit.
    >>>

    >>Nope. I know what I read.

    >I don't think you understand RTO
    >
    >A 30 mm round is more than 1 inch in diameter.
    >
    >There are 25.4 mm to the inch.
    >
    >Whomever is on the incoming side of that trauma plate is D.E.A.D.
    >
    >Otoh, since you're such a genius, do the experiment and get back to
    >us.
    >
    >Lg

    Never said that it would be survivable,only that the SAPI manufacturer
    claims that the plate will stop a 30mm round.

    In fact, I said that the occupant in such a case would probaly become
    jelly.

    And I do know what millimeters are. Thanks.

    RTO Trainer, Jun 28, 2005