Re: Bobs wishes to get a lcd monitor

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Tony McKee, Jan 17, 2005.

  1. Tony McKee

    Tony McKee Guest

    "Bobs" <> wrote in message
    > I liken my crt monitor to that of waking up and discovering that a
    > bunch of mozzies are dining out on your exposed scrotum. It hurts me and
    > it irritates me. No one should be subjected to such an atrocity. While
    > no one can avoid having mozzies gnawing on their sack for a snack, they
    > certainly can avoid frying their eyes on CRT monitors. So I have decided
    > to get an lcd monitor. Problem being I know very little about good
    > brands. This is due to the fact that I'm a Sex Champion and don't waste
    > my time reading up about LCD monitors and their insipid technical specs.
    > However, most people here are pathetic little peons without an ounce of
    > charisma or raw unbridled sexual magnestism, so I suspect asking in
    > newsgroups is a good option.
    >
    > All I know is that response time is important. Anything over 16ms is
    > crap. What else is important? And which places sell good monitors? 17"
    > is what I'm after, but 19" could be a possibly if Bobs is suitably
    > impressed.

    Yo, Bobs!

    Within the next few months, I'll be assembling a new PC system to replace
    this somewhat 'obsolete' early model HP Pavilion. It'll be something with
    plenty of 'grunt'. Recently I made a quick list of the features desired in a
    new LCD flat-panel display for the new toy.

    19" 'wide-screen'; 16ms or lower response; true 16.7mill colours; portrait
    mode (pivot) as well as the usual tilt and swivel; in-built power brick;
    500:1 or greater contrast ratio; good viewing angles; good brightness;
    Kensington lock; DVI & analogue inputs; speakers not crucial but would be a
    nifty bonus. Price range: anywhere up to $1600.

    That's my particular feature wish-list. Should you stumble upon such a gem,
    or if any ace out there knows of an LCD model that satisfies all the above
    requirements, I'm listening.

    Ascent Technologies (www.ascent.co.nz) carry an extensive monitor range,
    although perhaps their prices are not the absolute cheapest. OTOH, their
    service is good - speaking from experience. Haven't found one from their
    list that satisfies *all* the above desirables - not yet anyway - still
    looking.

    Good luck in your hunt - and Bobs, your impeccable stallion instincts are
    right: 19" is *so* much better suited for sex. More room to move! (chortle)
    ;-)

    Cheers, Tony McKee

    --

    ---
    I am a part of all that I have met... yet all experience is but an arch

    ===-- Ulysses --===

    Tony McKee, Jan 17, 2005

  2. Tony McKee

    Tony McKee Guest

    "Tony McKee" <> wrote in message

    > 19" 'wide-screen'; 16ms or lower response

    ^^^^^^
    Ach! That should be 16ms or higher reponse. (must be the heat to-day)

    Cheers, Tony McKee

    --

    ---

    Tony McKee, Jan 17, 2005

  3. Tony McKee

    Bobs Guest

    Tony McKee wrote:
    > "Bobs" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I liken my crt monitor to that of waking up and discovering that a
    >>bunch of mozzies are dining out on your exposed scrotum. It hurts me and
    >>it irritates me. No one should be subjected to such an atrocity. While
    >>no one can avoid having mozzies gnawing on their sack for a snack, they
    >>certainly can avoid frying their eyes on CRT monitors. So I have decided
    >>to get an lcd monitor. Problem being I know very little about good
    >>brands. This is due to the fact that I'm a Sex Champion and don't waste
    >>my time reading up about LCD monitors and their insipid technical specs.
    >>However, most people here are pathetic little peons without an ounce of
    >>charisma or raw unbridled sexual magnestism, so I suspect asking in
    >>newsgroups is a good option.
    >>
    >>All I know is that response time is important. Anything over 16ms is
    >>crap. What else is important? And which places sell good monitors? 17"
    >>is what I'm after, but 19" could be a possibly if Bobs is suitably
    >>impressed.

    > Yo, Bobs!
    >
    > Within the next few months, I'll be assembling a new PC system to replace
    > this somewhat 'obsolete' early model HP Pavilion. It'll be something with
    > plenty of 'grunt'. Recently I made a quick list of the features desired in a
    > new LCD flat-panel display for the new toy.
    >
    > 19" 'wide-screen'; 16ms or lower response; true 16.7mill colours; portrait
    > mode (pivot) as well as the usual tilt and swivel; in-built power brick;
    > 500:1 or greater contrast ratio; good viewing angles; good brightness;
    > Kensington lock; DVI & analogue inputs; speakers not crucial but would be a
    > nifty bonus. Price range: anywhere up to $1600.

    Well, using that link that flabby fudgepacker Mr Scabs gave me, I will
    now use my incredible detective skills to find you such a monitor.

    Firstly, just let me insult Scabs first and call him a pathetic and
    pompous little piker. That said, I have found the following monitors
    that come close...well....slighly close.....well, not really that close
    but they...**** it. They're miles off.

    19" Viewsonic VX912 LCD Flat Panel, 250 Brightness, 500:1 Contrast
    Ratio, 12ms Response Time, 1x Analog Input, 1x DVI Input, Silver,
    Onsite* Warranty, Zero Bright Pixel Warranty

    19" Viewsonic VP912S LCD Flat Panel, 400 Brightness, 800:1 Contrast
    Ratio, 12ms Response Time, 2x Analog Inputs, 1x DVI Input, Silver,

    Bobs, Jan 17, 2005
  4. Tony McKee

    John B Guest

    "Bobs" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > 19" Viewsonic VP912S LCD Flat Panel, 400 Brightness, 800:1 Contrast
    > Ratio, 12ms Response Time, 2x Analog Inputs, 1x DVI Input, Silver,
    > Onsite* Warranty, Zero Bright Pixel Warranty
    >

    > > That's my particular feature wish-list. Should you stumble upon such a gem,
    > > or if any ace out there knows of an LCD model that satisfies all the above
    > > requirements, I'm listening.
    > >
    > > Ascent Technologies (www.ascent.co.nz) carry an extensive monitor range,
    > > although perhaps their prices are not the absolute cheapest. OTOH, their
    > > service is good - speaking from experience. Haven't found one from their
    > > list that satisfies *all* the above desirables - not yet anyway - still
    > > looking.
    > >
    > > Good luck in your hunt - and Bobs, your impeccable stallion instincts are
    > > right: 19" is *so* much better suited for sex. More room to move! (chortle)

    There's a few lcd's with 25ms response time that are much better than those with
    12ms. Response time 'aint everything, nor is contrast ratio.

    Check out Tom's Hardware for starters to see some of their reviews/comparisons.

    --
    John B

    John B, Jan 17, 2005