Re: Bobs wishes to get a lcd monitor

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Robert Cooze, Jan 16, 2005.

  1. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    BTMO wrote:
    > "Robert Cooze" <> wrote
    >

    >>As a Photographer I find LCD's next to Impossibal to work with (COLOUR
    >>matching). I know the old saying a poor craft man blames his tools But I
    >>choose A CRT does the job better for this photographer.
    >>
    >>Agreed ther can be Less eye strain with a lcd and there is no such thing
    >>as pincusion/trap ect ect.
    >>
    >>It is just the colour seems out to me.

    > You may just need to calibrate the monitor properly.
    >
    > This is a recent article I read about apple monitors.
    >
    > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/displays.shtml
    >
    > Oh, for what its worth, I don't own one (or work for apple!). I use a CRT -
    > it is what I have, and it works for me. I will probably change to an LCD
    > when the CRT gives up the ghost.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Brenton

    Calabration is always a sticking point. even the ambient light can
    affect your peception of what things should look like I calabrate my
    screen from 2 different sources and average out the difference for
    critical work. the point is the LCD screens dont seem to be consintant
    enough give them a few more years of R&D and they should be right.

    Robert Cooze, Jan 16, 2005

  2. Robert Cooze

    BTMO Guest

    "Robert Cooze" <> wrote

    > Calabration is always a sticking point. even the ambient light can affect
    > your peception of what things should look like I calabrate my screen from
    > 2 different sources and average out the difference for critical work. the
    > point is the LCD screens dont seem to be consintant enough give them a few
    > more years of R&D and they should be right.

    Do you use one of the external calibration devices?

    Personally, I don't but I don't do any commercial colour matching at this
    stage...

    Cheers,

    Brenton

    BTMO, Jan 16, 2005

  3. On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 21:39:41 +1300, Robert Cooze <>
    wrote:

    >BTMO wrote:
    >> "Robert Cooze" <> wrote
    >>

    >>>As a Photographer I find LCD's next to Impossibal to work with (COLOUR
    >>>matching). I know the old saying a poor craft man blames his tools But I
    >>>choose A CRT does the job better for this photographer.
    >>>
    >>>Agreed ther can be Less eye strain with a lcd and there is no such thing
    >>>as pincusion/trap ect ect.
    >>>
    >>>It is just the colour seems out to me.

    >> You may just need to calibrate the monitor properly.
    >>
    >> This is a recent article I read about apple monitors.
    >>
    >> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/displays.shtml
    >>
    >> Oh, for what its worth, I don't own one (or work for apple!). I use a CRT -
    >> it is what I have, and it works for me. I will probably change to an LCD
    >> when the CRT gives up the ghost.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Brenton
    >>

    >Calabration is always a sticking point. even the ambient light can
    >affect your peception of what things should look like I calabrate my
    >screen from 2 different sources and average out the difference for
    >critical work. the point is the LCD screens dont seem to be consintant
    >enough give them a few more years of R&D and they should be right.

    Sony has fixed that by using Led back lights, its now even better than a CRT..

    26" LCD TV only sold in Japan that has it..

    BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au, Jan 16, 2005
  4. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    BTMO wrote:
    > "Robert Cooze" <> wrote
    >

    >>Calabration is always a sticking point. even the ambient light can affect
    >>your peception of what things should look like I calabrate my screen from
    >>2 different sources and average out the difference for critical work. the
    >>point is the LCD screens dont seem to be consintant enough give them a few
    >>more years of R&D and they should be right.

    > Do you use one of the external calibration devices?
    >
    > Personally, I don't but I don't do any commercial colour matching at this
    > stage...
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Brenton

    I wish

    Just dont have the dosh for that stuff at the moment what I do is sort
    of cheets way but gets the same effect.

    It does not help when A CRT or a LCD is a RGB device and photo printing
    is a CMY and yet colour rips and poster printers use CMYK out put from
    CMY and CMYK is very dependant on the PIGMENTS and the White MEDIA used
    to print some.

    What I use is some computer generated RGB and CMYK scales some Digital
    Photos (film and CCT) that I Know. Yes it is done by my eyes but for the
    last 5 or more years I have been callerbrating Colour Photocopiers (they
    are much easer to callabrate).

    Robert Cooze, Jan 16, 2005