Re: Blue Screen Of Death after installing Vista Service Pack 1

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by G. Morgan, Feb 5, 2010.

  1. G. Morgan

    G. Morgan Guest

    wrote:

    >I have a Dell Inspiron with Vista 32 bit home premium that was working
    >fine and then got message that I needed to install important update. I
    >installed the service pack. It said it was successful.
    >
    > The computer rebooted and went through stage one and two without
    >problem. During stage 3 it stalled and then the BSOD with a message
    >about initialization failure of winsrv. I tried to restore to previous
    >point but was unable to do so. I tried to go into safe mode and
    >selected repair computer but that also was not successful. I also got
    >messages about registry errors.
    >
    >Any suggestions?

    Backup all of your important files first. Do it any way you can. You
    may have to remove the drive and put it in another machine temporarily
    to get access to your stuff. There are other methods, depending on
    what equipment you have available (HDD to USB converter for example).

    If your HDD is not already partitioned into multiple parts, you can
    create a new one and backup your personal files to it. Use a bootable
    Gparted CD to accomplish this:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/gpa...ble/0.5.1-1/gparted-live-0.5.1-1.iso/download

    Use another computer to burn this ISO to a CD. If you don't have a
    good program that does this, use Imgburn:
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_imgburn/

    If these ideas below do not work, you very well may end up having to
    format the drive and re-installing Windows from scratch. Actually,
    this is preferred if you already have a good backup of your docs,
    pics, music, applications, etc... You may want to do this anyway,
    even after you get the system stable enough following the suggestions
    below. To make sure you get all the files and software keys you need.
    SIW (System Information for Windows) is an excellent app for getting
    software keys, passwords, and other stuff to write down before you
    wipe the drive. Get it here (free):
    http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html I suggest you D/L the
    stand-alone version http://www.gtopala.com/download/siw.exe

    Suggestion #1

    Do not follow "Chuckcar's" advice. Seriously, he can easily make you
    do more harm than good. I don't say this out of any personal
    animosity towards him, he just doesn't know WTF he's talking about...
    People who don't follow this NG regularly can easily be fooled because
    he can sound convincing.

    Suggestion #2

    Use the Windows Vista DVD to repair startup

    ===========

    1. Insert the windows Vista DVD and reboot the system.

    2. Press the space bar when “Press any key to boot to CD or DVD”
    appears

    3. When the system comes to the option to install windows, there are
    two links at the bottom; choose the option “Repair your computer”

    4. The system will locate the Windows Vista installation and show you
    drive it is located on. If it is not showing, and you have a
    non-standard SCSI or RAID controller, you will need to load the
    drivers for it to show. Once it is there, highlight it and click
    “Next”.

    5. On the menu that appears, click “Startup repair”. The window will
    state that it is checking for problems, and prompt you to continue
    when it finds one to correct.

    Suggestion #3

    Boot into safe mode from your hard drive and follow the instructions
    here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

    Use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is
    causing the issue, and then replace the file. To do this, follow these
    steps:

    1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All
    Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then
    click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator
    password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

    2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    sfc /scannow
    The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and
    replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

    Suggestion #4

    Download the stand-alone version of Vista SP1 here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6D-5EBB-413B-89C9-CB3D06D12674&displaylang=en

    Go ahead and download SP2 and SP3 stand-alone while you're at it:
    SP2:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...D5-F907-4406-9012-A5C3199EA2B3&displaylang=en

    SP3:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

    SP1 is a pre-requisite before installing SP2. (stupid, I know)

    Write all files to separate CD's (or one DVD) or a flash drive.

    Boot into safe mode and try to install SP1 from the CD/DVD.

    If that works, install SP2 then SP3 from the CD/DVD
    G. Morgan, Feb 5, 2010

  2. G. Morgan

    Tony Guest

    Yes Chuck will tell him something like throw salt over your right shoulder with your left hand then do a tap
    dance on top of your computer case for at least the next 5 minutes, pull the plug make a lasso out of the cord
    plug it back in and viola it's supposed to work perfectly again.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    Nay, Art thou decideth playeth ye simpleton games. *Some* of us know proper manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day on the job for potty mouth,

    Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Feb 5, 2010