Re: Blu-ray Numbers Too Low To Release

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by pj, May 1, 2008.

  1. pj

    pj Guest

    Bond Is Gay wrote:
    > If you thought the death of HD DVD would help Blu-ray, you'd be wrong. Sales
    > of stand alone players fell 40% at the beginning of the year, recovered 2%
    > of that and has remained so low that NPD will not release actual numbers
    > Ouch. In fact, sales of Blu-ray standalone players remain so low that NPD
    > has not yet released actual numbers, for fear that it would be easy to
    > identify individual retailers. The research group will start to give actual
    > figures later this year, said Ross Rubin, director of industry analysis at
    > NPD.
    >
    > http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/30/blu-ray-the-future-has-been-delayed/

    Hmmm, yes, I'm one of the guilty.

    When there was an active "war" going on, I tried
    to read widely and consider the relative merits
    of each format. I was leaning toward Blu-Ray
    despite its onerous "security" and DRM qualities.

    Now that the battle is "over" and it's
    get-out-the-checkbook time my interest has
    waned. Last week I went to the store and bought
    a vanilla DVD player for the HT. I suspect
    several years will pass before my interest is
    piqued again.

    As we've settled into HDTV, the 'shock and awe'
    of high resolution and contrast has worn off.
    We seem to be returning to content as the most
    important quality of what we watch.

    --
    pj

    pj, May 1, 2008

  2. pj

    Guest

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 15:09:07 -0700, pj <> wrote:

    >When there was an active "war" going on, I tried
    >to read widely and consider the relative merits
    >of each format.

    First, you need the technical aptitude to make anything close to a
    valid assessment.

    , May 2, 2008

  3. In article <ncrSj.59229$>, pj <>
    wrote:

    > As we've settled into HDTV, the 'shock and awe'
    > of high resolution and contrast has worn off.
    > We seem to be returning to content as the most
    > important quality of what we watch.

    Fascinating.

    I agree, of course--but content was ALWAYS the overriding concern for
    me. That probably comes from me being an avid reader.

    Junk is junk, and no amount of picture resolution can change that.
    Conversely, a high quality story is a high quality story, and not being
    in HD (or even digital) can change that.

    Elmo P. Shagnasty, May 2, 2008
  4. pj

    Guest

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 20:16:49 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >In article <ncrSj.59229$>, pj <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> As we've settled into HDTV, the 'shock and awe'
    >> of high resolution and contrast has worn off.
    >> We seem to be returning to content as the most
    >> important quality of what we watch.

    >Fascinating.
    >
    >I agree, of course--but content was ALWAYS the overriding concern for
    >me. That probably comes from me being an avid reader.
    >
    >Junk is junk, and no amount of picture resolution can change that.
    >Conversely, a high quality story is a high quality story, and not being
    >in HD (or even digital) can change that.

    MacKenna's Gold

    I think that would be cool in HD.

    , May 2, 2008
  5. pj

    Conor Guest

    In article <_bqSj.107428$Cj7.36554@pd7urf2no>, Bond Is Gay says...
    > If you thought the death of HD DVD would help Blu-ray, you'd be wrong. Sales
    > of stand alone players fell 40% at the beginning of the year, recovered 2%
    > of that and has remained so low that NPD will not release actual numbers
    > Ouch. In fact, sales of Blu-ray standalone players remain so low that NPD
    > has not yet released actual numbers, for fear that it would be easy to
    > identify individual retailers. The research group will start to give actual
    > figures later this year, said Ross Rubin, director of industry analysis at
    > NPD.
    >
    > http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/30/blu-ray-the-future-has-been-delayed/

    The only problem is that they're not including the sales of PS3's which
    skews it quite dramatically as there are plenty of people who buy a PS3
    to use as a Media Center/Bl-Ray player because they're cheaper than
    many standalones and can easily do firmware upgrades.

    --
    Conor

    looking good either. - Scott Adams

    Conor, May 2, 2008
  6. pj

    Phisherman Guest

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 15:09:07 -0700, pj <> wrote:

    >Bond Is Gay wrote:
    >> If you thought the death of HD DVD would help Blu-ray, you'd be wrong. Sales
    >> of stand alone players fell 40% at the beginning of the year, recovered 2%
    >> of that and has remained so low that NPD will not release actual numbers
    >> Ouch. In fact, sales of Blu-ray standalone players remain so low that NPD
    >> has not yet released actual numbers, for fear that it would be easy to
    >> identify individual retailers. The research group will start to give actual
    >> figures later this year, said Ross Rubin, director of industry analysis at
    >> NPD.
    >>
    >> http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/30/blu-ray-the-future-has-been-delayed/
    >>

    >Hmmm, yes, I'm one of the guilty.
    >
    >When there was an active "war" going on, I tried
    >to read widely and consider the relative merits
    >of each format. I was leaning toward Blu-Ray
    >despite its onerous "security" and DRM qualities.
    >
    >Now that the battle is "over" and it's
    >get-out-the-checkbook time my interest has
    >waned. Last week I went to the store and bought
    >a vanilla DVD player for the HT. I suspect
    >several years will pass before my interest is
    >piqued again.
    >
    >As we've settled into HDTV, the 'shock and awe'
    >of high resolution and contrast has worn off.
    >We seem to be returning to content as the most
    >important quality of what we watch.

    Currently, I have little interest in Blu-ray (or any other hi-def
    format) as well. I'm waiting for more titles and lower Blu-ray
    burner prices before making the switch. I can wait two months or two
    years. Since we are in an economic pullback (recession?) with higher
    gas prices, most people are watching spending. The hi-def battle has
    hurt the industry so it will be interesting to see how the recovery
    goes. Make Blu-ray prices the same as regular DVD and this industry
    will take off.

    Phisherman, May 2, 2008
  7. pj

    David Guest

    Heck and I'm on of them.

    David, May 2, 2008
  8. pj

    Morgan Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    > Heck and I'm on of them.

    Me too. I've got two games for my PS3 (Might get GTA4 as well) both came
    with it. I got the PS3 because it was a cost effective easily updatable BR
    player.

    Anyone who thinks that BR won't eventually catch on frankly moronic. HD is
    the future of video media and computers are crying of for a storage medium
    to replace DVD. There were naysayers when DVD came out. There always will
    be.

    Morgan, May 2, 2008
  9. pj

    scoopex Guest

    Morgan wrote:
    > "David" <> wrote in message
    >> Heck and I'm on of them.
    >>

    > Me too. I've got two games for my PS3 (Might get GTA4 as well) both came
    > with it. I got the PS3 because it was a cost effective easily updatable
    > BR player.
    >
    > Anyone who thinks that BR won't eventually catch on frankly moronic. HD
    > is the future of video media and computers are crying of for a storage
    > medium to replace DVD. There were naysayers when DVD came out. There
    > always will be.

    BR wont take off and i dont care being labeled moronic.

    lol. :)

    scoopex, May 2, 2008
  10. pj

    Turbohat Guest

    "Morgan" <> wrote in message
    > "David" <> wrote in message
    >> Heck and I'm on of them.
    >>

    > Me too. I've got two games for my PS3 (Might get GTA4 as well) both came
    > with it. I got the PS3 because it was a cost effective easily updatable
    > BR player.
    >
    > Anyone who thinks that BR won't eventually catch on frankly moronic. HD
    > is the future of video media and computers are crying of for a storage
    > medium to replace DVD. There were naysayers when DVD came out. There
    > always will be.

    The problem is that BR doesn't give the quantum leap over DVD that DVD had
    over VHS. When DVD became mainstream the convenience of the format was as
    much of a selling point as the image / audio quality. For the vast majority
    of consumers DVD (even when upscaled on a HDTV) is "good enough". I agree
    that BR (and HD-DVD) offer a big increase in picture and audio, but so
    relatively soon after the last paradigm shift in formats, it's not enough of
    a carrot.

    Turbohat, May 2, 2008
  11. pj

    DanB Guest

    "Turbohat" <> wrote in message

    > "Morgan" <> wrote in message
    >> "David" <> wrote in message
    >>> Heck and I'm on of them.
    >>>

    >> Me too. I've got two games for my PS3 (Might get GTA4 as well) both came
    >> with it. I got the PS3 because it was a cost effective easily updatable
    >> BR player.
    >>
    >> Anyone who thinks that BR won't eventually catch on frankly moronic. HD
    >> is the future of video media and computers are crying of for a storage
    >> medium to replace DVD. There were naysayers when DVD came out. There
    >> always will be.

    > The problem is that BR doesn't give the quantum leap over DVD that DVD had
    > over VHS. When DVD became mainstream the convenience of the format was as
    > much of a selling point as the image / audio quality. For the vast
    > majority of consumers DVD (even when upscaled on a HDTV) is "good enough".
    > I agree that BR (and HD-DVD) offer a big increase in picture and audio,
    > but so relatively soon after the last paradigm shift in formats, it's not
    > enough of a carrot.

    I'd agree with that, if BluRay does eventually take it, it won't be for a
    serious while - and we'll probably be talking about PS4s and Xbox 720s or
    something by then :)

    --
    Dan
    Clio V6

    DanB, May 2, 2008
  12. pj

    Morgan Guest

    "scoopex" <> wrote in message
    > Morgan wrote:
    > > "David" <> wrote in message
    > > > Heck and I'm on of them.
    > > >

    > > Me too. I've got two games for my PS3 (Might get GTA4
    > > as well) both came with it. I got the PS3 because it
    > > was a cost effective easily updatable BR player.
    > >
    > > Anyone who thinks that BR won't eventually catch on
    > > frankly moronic. HD is the future of video media and
    > > computers are crying of for a storage medium to replace
    > > DVD. There were naysayers when DVD came out. There
    > > always will be.

    > BR wont take off and i dont care being labeled moronic.

    Care to explain you reasoning then?

    Mine is that HD TVs are now the norm when buying a new screen so people are
    goign to want to take advantage of them. BR gives a noticeable increase in
    image quality and is well supported by the industry with practically every
    DVD release of new film also having a BR release.

    A in terms or pure data storage duel layer DVD can only hold around 9.8GB of
    data as oppose to about 50GB on BRD. 9.8GB aint that much these days.

    Morgan, May 2, 2008
  13. pj

    Turbohat Guest

    "DanB" <> wrote in message
    > "Turbohat" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Morgan" <> wrote in message
    >>> "David" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> Me too. I've got two games for my PS3 (Might get GTA4 as well) both came
    >>> with it. I got the PS3 because it was a cost effective easily updatable
    >>> BR player.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone who thinks that BR won't eventually catch on frankly moronic. HD
    >>> is the future of video media and computers are crying of for a storage
    >>> medium to replace DVD. There were naysayers when DVD came out. There
    >>> always will be.

    >> The problem is that BR doesn't give the quantum leap over DVD that DVD
    >> had over VHS. When DVD became mainstream the convenience of the format
    >> was as much of a selling point as the image / audio quality. For the vast
    >> majority of consumers DVD (even when upscaled on a HDTV) is "good
    >> enough". I agree that BR (and HD-DVD) offer a big increase in picture and
    >> audio, but so relatively soon after the last paradigm shift in formats,
    >> it's not enough of a carrot.

    > I'd agree with that, if BluRay does eventually take it, it won't be for a
    > serious while - and we'll probably be talking about PS4s and Xbox 720s or
    > something by then :)

    I also can't see BR having the same upgrade factor that DVD had. I binned
    all VHS tapes that I had (inc several hundred Star Trek), can't see the same
    thing happening with DVD to BR

    Turbohat, May 2, 2008
  14. pj

    Morgan Guest

    "Turbohat" <> wrote in message

    > The problem is that BR doesn't give the quantum leap over
    > DVD that DVD had over VHS. When DVD became mainstream the
    > convenience of the format was as much of a selling point
    > as the image / audio quality. For the vast majority of
    > consumers DVD (even when upscaled on a HDTV) is "good
    > enough". I agree that BR (and HD-DVD) offer a big
    > increase in picture and audio, but so relatively soon
    > after the last paradigm shift in formats, it's not enough
    > of a carrot.

    You have to look at the technology as a whole, not just applying it to
    video.

    Morgan, May 2, 2008
  15. pj

    Turbohat Guest

    "Morgan" <> wrote in message
    > "scoopex" <> wrote in message
    >> Morgan wrote:
    >> > "David" <> wrote in message
    >> > >

    >> > Me too. I've got two games for my PS3 (Might get GTA4
    >> > as well) both came with it. I got the PS3 because it
    >> > was a cost effective easily updatable BR player.
    >> >
    >> > Anyone who thinks that BR won't eventually catch on
    >> > frankly moronic. HD is the future of video media and
    >> > computers are crying of for a storage medium to replace
    >> > DVD. There were naysayers when DVD came out. There
    >> > always will be.

    >> BR wont take off and i dont care being labeled moronic.

    > Care to explain you reasoning then?
    >
    > Mine is that HD TVs are now the norm when buying a new screen so people
    > are goign to want to take advantage of them. BR gives a noticeable
    > increase in image quality and is well supported by the industry with
    > practically every DVD release of new film also having a BR release.
    >
    > A in terms or pure data storage duel layer DVD can only hold around 9.8GB
    > of data as oppose to about 50GB on BRD. 9.8GB aint that much these days.

    Most no-mark punters won't see enough of a difference in quality, I'm sure
    that most HD sets are plugged into SD Sky boxes and DVD players.

    Turbohat, May 2, 2008
  16. pj

    scoopex Guest

    Turbohat wrote:
    > "Morgan" <> wrote in message
    >> "scoopex" <> wrote in message

    >>> BR wont take off and i dont care being labeled moronic.

    >> Care to explain you reasoning then?
    >>
    >> Mine is that HD TVs are now the norm when buying a new screen so people
    >> are goign to want to take advantage of them. BR gives a noticeable
    >> increase in image quality and is well supported by the industry with
    >> practically every DVD release of new film also having a BR release.
    >>
    >> A in terms or pure data storage duel layer DVD can only hold around 9.8GB
    >> of data as oppose to about 50GB on BRD. 9.8GB aint that much these days.
    >>

    > Most no-mark punters won't see enough of a difference in quality, I'm sure
    > that most HD sets are plugged into SD Sky boxes and DVD players.

    No need to post about yourself in here bud.

    lol. :)

    scoopex, May 2, 2008
  17. pj

    Turbohat Guest

    "scoopex" <> wrote in message
    > Turbohat wrote:
    >> "Morgan" <> wrote in message
    >>> "scoopex" <> wrote in message

    >>> Care to explain you reasoning then?
    >>>
    >>> Mine is that HD TVs are now the norm when buying a new screen so people
    >>> are goign to want to take advantage of them. BR gives a noticeable
    >>> increase in image quality and is well supported by the industry with
    >>> practically every DVD release of new film also having a BR release.
    >>>
    >>> A in terms or pure data storage duel layer DVD can only hold around
    >>> 9.8GB of data as oppose to about 50GB on BRD. 9.8GB aint that much
    >>> these days.
    >>>

    >> Most no-mark punters won't see enough of a difference in quality, I'm
    >> sure that most HD sets are plugged into SD Sky boxes and DVD players.
    >>

    > No need to post about yourself in here bud.
    >
    > lol. :)

    goon!

    Turbohat, May 2, 2008
  18. pj

    scoopex Guest

    Turbohat wrote:
    > "scoopex" <> wrote in message
    >> Turbohat wrote:
    >>> "Morgan" <> wrote in message

    >>> Most no-mark punters won't see enough of a difference in quality, I'm
    >>> sure that most HD sets are plugged into SD Sky boxes and DVD players.
    >>>

    >> No need to post about yourself in here bud.
    >>
    >> lol. :)

    > goon!

    That i be.

    :)

    scoopex, May 2, 2008
  19. pj

    Turbohat Guest

    "scoopex" <> wrote in message
    > Turbohat wrote:
    >> "scoopex" <> wrote in message

    >>> No need to post about yourself in here bud.
    >>>
    >>> lol. :)

    >> goon!

    > That i be.
    >
    > :)

    that we do know !

    :)

    Turbohat, May 2, 2008
  20. pj

    Mech Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message

    > Heck and I'm on of them.

    yeah me to I saw I Am Legend on sale today for $14 dollars..I said meh.. I
    don't know just getting older I guess and don't need more junk sitting
    around my place for 10-20 years collecting dust until it goes obsolete.
    bring on the next format please because I just don't care about beta ray..
    I want several to fit several HD movies on one medium. so 2-5 TB flash
    drives or something at least or a download streaming service that gives me
    access to ALL HD movies for $10-$15 a month and not the current 1080p HD
    either I want real HD in 5 years or so..hope I live that long to see truly
    impressive HD and video games.
    Lawn mower Man or TRON? :) I know the animation in that movie is old but the
    concept of GOOD virtual reality went up in smoke after The Matrix
    Movies..not enough power :)

    Mech, May 2, 2008