Re: Blu-ray Home Authoring?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Dave Farrance, Feb 25, 2008.

  1. Jer <> wrote:

    >Dave Farrance wrote:
    >> Does that mean Blu-Ray players will only play AACS encrypted disks?

    >Apparently not, I've been viewing personally produced HD videos from a
    >friend for a while now on my Sony BD player. He's using some kind of
    >Panasonic HD camera and burns them hisself. I know these videos don't
    >have any sort of copy protection embedded in them.
    >>
    >> Since high-definition video cameras are becoming popular, I'd have
    >> thought that many people would want to do home authoring of, say, holiday
    >> videos, for playback on their disk player.

    >Or documentaries.

    Or corporate presentation discs. I really hope that it's true that all
    Blu-ray players will play non-encrypted disks. I say that because I've
    Googled on "Blu-ray authoring" and on the first page of hits, I've found
    somebody saying that they had problems even with expensive software for
    authoring Blu-ray business presentations. He couldn't use AACS, of
    course, and wondered if that was the reason that his disk played on some
    Blu-ray players but not others. That wasn't resolved.

    http://www.dv.com/features/features_item.php?articleId=196602808

    And at what point would a corporate presentation become "commercial" and
    fall foul of Blu-ray's mandatory requirement to use AACS-encryption on
    commercial disks? I'm sorry that HD-DVD failed, because AACS was
    optional for that. And as a UK resident, it's annoying that Blu-ray
    movies have region-coding -- unlike HD-DVD movies. And I doubt that it
    will be possible to have "region-free" Blu-ray players because of all the
    requirements for unhackable super-strong DRM on Blu-ray.

    --
    Dave Farrance

    Dave Farrance, Feb 25, 2008

  2. Dave Farrance

    T.B. Guest

    "Dave Farrance" wrote:

    (snip)

    > Or corporate presentation discs. I really hope that it's true that all
    > Blu-ray players will play non-encrypted disks. I say that because I've
    > Googled on "Blu-ray authoring" and on the first page of hits, I've found
    > somebody saying that they had problems even with expensive software for
    > authoring Blu-ray business presentations. He couldn't use AACS, of
    > course, and wondered if that was the reason that his disk played on some
    > Blu-ray players but not others. That wasn't resolved.
    >
    > http://www.dv.com/features/features_item.php?articleId=196602808
    >
    > And at what point would a corporate presentation become "commercial" and
    > fall foul of Blu-ray's mandatory requirement to use AACS-encryption on
    > commercial disks? I'm sorry that HD-DVD failed, because AACS was
    > optional for that. And as a UK resident, it's annoying that Blu-ray
    > movies have region-coding -- unlike HD-DVD movies. And I doubt that it
    > will be possible to have "region-free" Blu-ray players because of all the
    > requirements for unhackable super-strong DRM on Blu-ray.

    Please. DVDs have region coding, not to mention NTSC/PAL restrictions and
    that wasn't a big issue to overcome. Where there's a will, there's a way
    and the studios will always be one step behind the curve.

    T.B.

    T.B., Feb 25, 2008

  3. Dave Farrance

    kim Guest

    T.B. wrote:
    > "Dave Farrance" wrote:
    >
    > (snip)
    >
    >> Or corporate presentation discs. I really hope that it's true that
    >> all Blu-ray players will play non-encrypted disks. I say that
    >> because I've Googled on "Blu-ray authoring" and on the first page of
    >> hits, I've found somebody saying that they had problems even with
    >> expensive software for authoring Blu-ray business presentations. He
    >> couldn't use AACS, of course, and wondered if that was the reason
    >> that his disk played on some Blu-ray players but not others. That
    >> wasn't resolved.
    >> http://www.dv.com/features/features_item.php?articleId=196602808
    >>
    >> And at what point would a corporate presentation become "commercial"
    >> and fall foul of Blu-ray's mandatory requirement to use
    >> AACS-encryption on commercial disks? I'm sorry that HD-DVD failed,
    >> because AACS was optional for that. And as a UK resident, it's
    >> annoying that Blu-ray movies have region-coding -- unlike HD-DVD
    >> movies. And I doubt that it will be possible to have "region-free"
    >> Blu-ray players because of all the requirements for unhackable
    >> super-strong DRM on Blu-ray.

    > Please. DVDs have region coding, not to mention NTSC/PAL
    > restrictions and that wasn't a big issue to overcome. Where there's
    > a will, there's a way and the studios will always be one step behind
    > the curve.

    I heard the new encryption was to stop unauthorised players from the far
    east being sold here cheaply rather than to prevent playback of copyright
    material. Just one person's opinion but sounds very plausible.

    (kim)

    kim, Feb 25, 2008
  4. "T.B." <> wrote:

    >"Dave Farrance" wrote:
    >
    >> I hope that it's true that all Blu-ray players will play non-encrypted
    >> disks. Because I've found this guy reporting problems with software for
    >> authoring Blu-ray business presentations. He couldn't create AACS
    >> encrypted disks, of course, and wondered if that was why his disks
    >> played on some Blu-ray players but not others. That wasn't resolved.
    >>
    >> http://www.dv.com/features/features_item.php?articleId=196602808
    >>
    >> And at what point would a corporate presentation become "commercial" and
    >> fall foul of Blu-ray's mandatory requirement to use AACS-encryption on
    >> commercial disks? I'm sorry that HD-DVD failed, because AACS was
    >> optional for that. And as a UK resident, it's annoying that Blu-ray
    >> movies have region-coding -- unlike HD-DVD movies. And I doubt that it
    >> will be possible to have "region-free" Blu-ray players because of all the
    >> requirements for unhackable super-strong DRM on Blu-ray.

    >Please. DVDs have region coding, not to mention NTSC/PAL restrictions and
    >that wasn't a big issue to overcome. Where there's a will, there's a way
    >and the studios will always be one step behind the curve.

    I hope you're right. But I'll be surprised. The Blu-ray Disk
    Association is using very strict licensing compared to the DVD startup
    era. I doubt that the chips in the players will even *have* an
    all-regions option to be enabled. (They'll all play no-region disks.)

    --
    Dave Farrance

    Dave Farrance, Feb 25, 2008
  5. Dave Farrance

    Guest

    In alt.tv.tech.hdtv Dave Farrance <> wrote:

    | I hope you're right. But I'll be surprised. The Blu-ray Disk
    | Association is using very strict licensing compared to the DVD startup
    | era. I doubt that the chips in the players will even *have* an
    | all-regions option to be enabled. (They'll all play no-region disks.)

    Chinese clones, using clone chips, will eventually be made when the market
    is big enough. They will make them region-free like they do now with DVD.

    | first name lower case at ipal.net / |

    , Feb 27, 2008