Re: blocking the worst websites

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Jon Cosby, Jul 12, 2009.

  1. Jon Cosby

    Jon Cosby Guest

    tg wrote:
    > I want to know if there's a list available of say 100 (or less) most
    > dangerous ip addresses to avoid. Not spam blacklists, but ip's that hack
    > and infect visitors. I know about hosts.zip and I've got this file in my
    > PC, but this list is too big for the config of my cisco router and I want
    > these sites blocked at my router, so I have to trim the list down to about
    > 100 ip's at most. Thanks for any advice.

    What would be your criteria for the "most dangerous?" You realize lists
    such as HOSTS will be obsolete in a few weeks, as many of those sites
    will come down and many new ones will spring up. Like an AV database,
    these are only added to the list when they have been reported to its
    maintainers, and that's only after damage has been done.

    Your router will provide a lot of protection, but a lot depends on your
    practices as well. Keep up to date on security patches. Don't click
    "Yes" when you are not even sure what you are being prompted for. Don't
    click links from people you don't trust. And try switching to Firefox
    and adding NoScript.

    jc

    Jon Cosby, Jul 12, 2009