Re: blocking the worst websites

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 12, 2009.

  1. In alt.computer.security, tg wrote:
    [comp.security does not exist at my news server]

    > I want to know if there's a list available of say 100 (or less) most
    > dangerous ip addresses to avoid. Not spam blacklists, but ip's that
    > hack and infect visitors.

    IPs that hack and infect .. could be the IP of any Windows computer on
    the planet. You can't block them all.

    > I know about hosts.zip and I've got this file in my PC, but this list
    > is too big for the config of my cisco router and I want these sites
    > blocked at my router, so I have to trim the list down to about 100
    > ip's at most. Thanks for any advice.

    Well, if you have a router, it will block all inbound unsolicited
    traffic. What more could you ask for?

    Use that HOSTS file to prevent your *browser* from *soliciting* anything
    from those domains.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 12, 2009

  2. In alt.computer.security, tg wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> In alt.computer.security, tg wrote:
    >> [comp.security does not exist at my news server]
    >> Use that HOSTS file to prevent your *browser* from *soliciting*
    >> anything from those domains.

    > but I have multiple computers which means continually updating the
    > multiple hosts files. It would be easier to just block the worst
    > websites at the router.

    Well, one does what one needs to do. If your computers are networked,
    you could probably write a little script to do the updating. Otherwise,
    an update should only be a few clicks per computer. 'Drag'n'drop.'

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 12, 2009