Re: Blast to the past: Digital deliberately erasing the advancesof 100 years!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Laszlo Lebrun, Apr 16, 2012.

  1. On 16/04/2012 08:38, Mxsmanic wrote:
    > Has anyone noticed this? People are taking more and more digital photographs,
    > but more and more of them have all sorts of stupid filters applied that
    > effectively restore all the defects of the worst photos of 70 years ago.

    The two guys who made that popular are now, after only two years of
    business, billionaires...
    Laszlo Lebrun, Apr 16, 2012

  2. Laszlo Lebrun

    nospam Guest

    Re: Blast to the past: Digital deliberately erasing the advances of 100 years!

    In article <jmhkm0$7hg$>, Laszlo Lebrun
    <> wrote:

    > > Has anyone noticed this? People are taking more and more digital
    > > photographs,
    > > but more and more of them have all sorts of stupid filters applied that
    > > effectively restore all the defects of the worst photos of 70 years ago.

    > The two guys who made that popular are now, after only two years of
    > business, billionaires...

    15 months and it sold for 1 billion. the company has 12 employees. one
    founder will get $400mil when it vests. i don't know what the other one
    will get or rest of the employees.

    the question everyone is asking is *why*?
    nospam, Apr 17, 2012

  3. On 17/04/2012 02:23, nospam wrote:

    > the question everyone is asking is *why*?

    A business model built on the stupidity of people has every chance to be
    successful. The raw material is renewable ad libitum.
    Laszlo Lebrun, Apr 17, 2012
  4. Re: Blast to the past: Digital deliberately erasing the advances of100 years!

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2012, nospam wrote:

    >> The two guys who made that popular are now, after only two years of
    >> business, billionaires...

    > 15 months and it sold for 1 billion. the company has 12 employees. one
    > founder will get $400mil when it vests. i don't know what the other one
    > will get or rest of the employees.
    >
    > the question everyone is asking is *why*?

    Because the iPhone and Android platforms combined make up a large part of
    photography equipment these days, and the Instagram app is one of the
    most-used apps on these devices.

    Ryan McGinnis                         @bigstormpicture
    Follow my storm chasing adventures at http://bigstormpicture.blogspot.com
    Images@Getty: http://bit.ly/oDW1pT        Images@AGE http://bit.ly/w4EuWB
    The BIG Storm Picture:  http://bigstormpicture.com    PGP Key: 0x65115E4C
    Ryan McGinnis, Apr 17, 2012
  5. Laszlo Lebrun

    nospam Guest

    Re: Blast to the past: Digital deliberately erasing the advances of 100 years!

    In article <alpine.DEB.2.02.1204171305080.1890@ryan-BigStorm>, Ryan
    McGinnis <> wrote:

    > >> The two guys who made that popular are now, after only two years of
    > >> business, billionaires...

    > > 15 months and it sold for 1 billion. the company has 12 employees. one
    > > founder will get $400mil when it vests. i don't know what the other one
    > > will get or rest of the employees.
    > >
    > > the question everyone is asking is *why*?

    > Because the iPhone and Android platforms combined make up a large part of
    > photography equipment these days, and the Instagram app is one of the
    > most-used apps on these devices.

    true, but how is it worth 1 billion?? that's a lot of money.

    also, instagram was iphone only until a couple of weeks ago. the
    android version just came out.
    nospam, Apr 17, 2012
  6. Re: Blast to the past: Digital deliberately erasing the advances of100 years!

    On Tue, 17 Apr 2012, nospam wrote:

    > true, but how is it worth 1 billion?? that's a lot of money.
    >
    > also, instagram was iphone only until a couple of weeks ago. the
    > android version just came out.

    Beats me. Maybe they have great patents. Or maybe they look at it as a
    way to solidify their position as the dominant social media platform.

    Ryan McGinnis, Apr 18, 2012