Re: Blank web page when trying to open .wmv files on Yahoo groups

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Jul 8, 2010.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Lookout <> wrote in

    > Win XP SP3
    >
    > Suddenly, when trying to view a .wmv on a Yahoo groups files page all
    > I get is a blank black web page. The same files open fine with IE. I'm
    > thinking an update did it but I can't find it. Has anyone heard of
    > anything like this?
    >
    > Thanks

    Why are you opening wmv files that contain DRM anyways (or wmv files at
    *all* for that matter)? They're only designed to infect people with malware
    on the website they go to. You quite probably *are* infected. When a website
    doesn't exist, you *don't* get a blank page. Use mplayer to test such files
    to see if they
    actually *contain* any video if you simply *must* use wmv files. mplayer
    doesn't launch web browsers and won't bring up the web sites. Use *just*
    the command line version. It's a simple batch file:
    ==== snip
    mplayer %1
    ==== snip
    That's all you need.
    o turns on the time display and q quits
    left advances 1 minue page up 10 minutes
    and right and page down go back similarly.

    http://freshmeat.net/projects/mplayer

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 8, 2010

  2. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 02:30:22 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Why are you opening wmv files that contain DRM anyways (or wmv files
    >>at *all* for that matter)? They're only designed to infect people with
    >>malware on the website they go to.

    > Oh geez, here we go again.
    >
    >>You quite probably *are* infected.

    > Yes. Scan your computer for malware. Format your hard drive. Reset
    > your BIOS.
    >
    >>When a website doesn't exist, you *don't* get a blank page.

    > Oh? Give me a few minutes and I can configure my webserver to give a
    > blank page if you try to go to a page that doesn't exist on my server.
    > A bad apache configuration could do just that.
    >
    > Or, a fault in the browser not able to play the wmv file may result in
    > a blank page.

    Oh, lovely. The chronically unemployed want-to-be-rent-a-cop thinks he knows
    something. ROFL

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 8, 2010

  3. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Jul 8, 2010
  4. chuckcar

    Tony Guest

    Chuck was last seen working as a towel boy at the Holiday Inn. Before that he
    only had one job answering calls from *rank* noobs and we all know how that one
    ended up... fired the first day on the job for "potty" mouth.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day on
    the job for potty mouth,

    realm of understandability

    Tony, Jul 8, 2010
  5. chuckcar

    Tony Guest

    I imagine mplayer is another one of your freeware programs with the m in mplayer
    standing for moron or morons.

    Tony, Jul 8, 2010