Re: black one inch slots

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by JD, Feb 15, 2010.

  1. JD

    JD Guest

    On 15/02/2010 8:13 PM, Pete10016 wrote:
    > I'm looking to expand my computer. However, the only ports left inside are
    > black one inch slots. What is it, what kind of card fits in there?
    > I want to add more slots (USB, eSATA, etc.) to the external of my computer.
    > Can I get a card to do this using these "ports?"
    > Thanks.


    What's the PC's specs (CPU, motherboard model etc)?

    A black one inch slot wont tell us much, it could be a PCIEx1 slot or it
    could be a ARM slot for a modem depending on how old the system is.

    as for what its used for, if it is a PCIEx1 slot you can get sound cards
    (such as the creative XFI) / wifi cards that use it etc.

    for adding more eSATA slots you typicaly use a PCI slot (usually white),
    as for adding more USB's you can use a PCI card or if your motherboard
    has unused USB connectors you can get a cheap cable that gives you a
    back plate with 2x extra USB sockets, or you can use a USB hub plugged
    into a usb port.

    JD
     
    JD, Feb 15, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. JD

    JD Guest

    On 15/02/2010 8:43 PM, Pete10016 wrote:
    >
    > "JD" <> wrote in message
    > news:4b79af9e$0$2525$...
    >> On 15/02/2010 8:13 PM, Pete10016 wrote:
    >>> I'm looking to expand my computer. However, the only ports left
    >>> inside are
    >>> black one inch slots. What is it, what kind of card fits in there?
    >>> I want to add more slots (USB, eSATA, etc.) to the external of my
    >>> computer.
    >>> Can I get a card to do this using these "ports?"
    >>> Thanks.

    >>
    >> What's the PC's specs (CPU, motherboard model etc)?
    >>
    >> A black one inch slot wont tell us much, it could be a PCIEx1 slot or
    >> it could be a ARM slot for a modem depending on how old the system is.
    >>
    >> as for what its used for, if it is a PCIEx1 slot you can get sound
    >> cards (such as the creative XFI) / wifi cards that use it etc.
    >>
    >> for adding more eSATA slots you typicaly use a PCI slot (usually
    >> white), as for adding more USB's you can use a PCI card or if your
    >> motherboard has unused USB connectors you can get a cheap cable that
    >> gives you a back plate with 2x extra USB sockets, or you can use a USB
    >> hub plugged into a usb port.
    >>
    >> JD
    >>

    > I can't find my book... I looked in "System Information" and it doesn't
    > say anything about the MB.
    > Is there a way short of opening the case?


    what's the cpu, that will give us some indacation of the age and what
    may be on the board.

    JD
     
    JD, Feb 15, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. JD

    JD Guest

    On 15/02/2010 8:56 PM, Pete10016 wrote:
    >
    > "JD" <> wrote in message
    > news:4b79b2a8$0$2534$...
    >> On 15/02/2010 8:43 PM, Pete10016 wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "JD" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:4b79af9e$0$2525$...
    >>>> On 15/02/2010 8:13 PM, Pete10016 wrote:
    >>>>> I'm looking to expand my computer. However, the only ports left
    >>>>> inside are
    >>>>> black one inch slots. What is it, what kind of card fits in there?
    >>>>> I want to add more slots (USB, eSATA, etc.) to the external of my
    >>>>> computer.
    >>>>> Can I get a card to do this using these "ports?"
    >>>>> Thanks.
    >>>>
    >>>> What's the PC's specs (CPU, motherboard model etc)?
    >>>>
    >>>> A black one inch slot wont tell us much, it could be a PCIEx1 slot or
    >>>> it could be a ARM slot for a modem depending on how old the system is.
    >>>>
    >>>> as for what its used for, if it is a PCIEx1 slot you can get sound
    >>>> cards (such as the creative XFI) / wifi cards that use it etc.
    >>>>
    >>>> for adding more eSATA slots you typicaly use a PCI slot (usually
    >>>> white), as for adding more USB's you can use a PCI card or if your
    >>>> motherboard has unused USB connectors you can get a cheap cable that
    >>>> gives you a back plate with 2x extra USB sockets, or you can use a USB
    >>>> hub plugged into a usb port.
    >>>>
    >>>> JD
    >>>>
    >>> I can't find my book... I looked in "System Information" and it doesn't
    >>> say anything about the MB.
    >>> Is there a way short of opening the case?

    >>
    >> what's the cpu, that will give us some indacation of the age and what
    >> may be on the board.
    >>
    >> JD

    > The board is definetly less than two years old. Very fast chip. Very
    > humble MB.


    its more than likely a PCIEx1 then, like I said in the first post you
    can get Sound cards, WiFi cards and Raid Controllers for that slot, you
    don't see much of them around tho most ppl still use the PCI slots.

    JD
     
    JD, Feb 15, 2010
    #3
  4. JD

    JD Guest

    On 15/02/2010 9:08 PM, Pete10016 wrote:
    >
    > "JD" <> wrote in message
    > news:4b79b6bd$0$2474$...
    >> On 15/02/2010 8:56 PM, Pete10016 wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "JD" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:4b79b2a8$0$2534$...
    >>>> On 15/02/2010 8:43 PM, Pete10016 wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> "JD" <> wrote in message
    >>>>> news:4b79af9e$0$2525$...
    >>>>>> On 15/02/2010 8:13 PM, Pete10016 wrote:
    >>>>>>> I'm looking to expand my computer. However, the only ports left
    >>>>>>> inside are
    >>>>>>> black one inch slots. What is it, what kind of card fits in there?
    >>>>>>> I want to add more slots (USB, eSATA, etc.) to the external of my
    >>>>>>> computer.
    >>>>>>> Can I get a card to do this using these "ports?"
    >>>>>>> Thanks.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> What's the PC's specs (CPU, motherboard model etc)?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> A black one inch slot wont tell us much, it could be a PCIEx1 slot or
    >>>>>> it could be a ARM slot for a modem depending on how old the system
    >>>>>> is.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> as for what its used for, if it is a PCIEx1 slot you can get sound
    >>>>>> cards (such as the creative XFI) / wifi cards that use it etc.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> for adding more eSATA slots you typicaly use a PCI slot (usually
    >>>>>> white), as for adding more USB's you can use a PCI card or if your
    >>>>>> motherboard has unused USB connectors you can get a cheap cable that
    >>>>>> gives you a back plate with 2x extra USB sockets, or you can use a
    >>>>>> USB
    >>>>>> hub plugged into a usb port.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> JD
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> I can't find my book... I looked in "System Information" and it
    >>>>> doesn't
    >>>>> say anything about the MB.
    >>>>> Is there a way short of opening the case?
    >>>>
    >>>> what's the cpu, that will give us some indacation of the age and what
    >>>> may be on the board.
    >>>>
    >>>> JD
    >>> The board is definetly less than two years old. Very fast chip. Very
    >>> humble MB.

    >>
    >> its more than likely a PCIEx1 then, like I said in the first post you
    >> can get Sound cards, WiFi cards and Raid Controllers for that slot,
    >> you don't see much of them around tho most ppl still use the PCI slots.
    >>
    >> JD
    >>

    > One last question, can I expand for USB and eSATA ports?
    >


    Yes you can get eSATA and USB controllers for the PCIEx1 slot, the
    PCIEx1 will eventually replace PCI.

    JD
     
    JD, Feb 15, 2010
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Rik Bain

    Pix 501 license slots - part II ?

    Rik Bain, Oct 22, 2003, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    684
    Walter Roberson
    Oct 23, 2003
  2. James E Koehler

    Film scanner for 2 1/4 inch by 2 1/4 inch

    James E Koehler, Oct 14, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    6,502
    Bill Hilton
    Oct 16, 2003
  3. Silverstrand
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    787
    Silverstrand
    Oct 10, 2006
  4. akiwi

    19 inch vs 17 inch LCD

    akiwi, Mar 10, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    40
    Views:
    2,401
    Nicolaas Hawkins
    Apr 27, 2005
  5. Jeff Strickland

    Re: black one inch slots

    Jeff Strickland, Feb 16, 2010, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    579
    Jeff Strickland
    Feb 16, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page