Re: birds

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Peter, Jul 8, 2010.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "John Navas" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 07:31:18 -0700 (PDT), in
    > <>, Val
    > Hallah <> wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...ans-high-definition-photographs-new-book.html

    > Amazing images, but a bit garish for my taste, more science than art.

    I am trying to craft my comment, artfully.

    Science is certainly on of the uses of photography. While there may very
    well be art in a science shot, the lack of art does not make it an
    uninteresting shot.

    I think the shots were excellent if considered as an accurate representation
    of the birds involved.
    --
    Peter

    Peter, Jul 8, 2010

  2. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "Floyd L. Davidson" <> wrote in message
    > "Peter" <> wrote:
    >>"John Navas" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 07:31:18 -0700 (PDT), in
    >>> <>, Val

    >>> Amazing images, but a bit garish for my taste, more science than art.
    >>>

    >>I am trying to craft my comment, artfully.
    >>
    >>Science is certainly on of the uses of photography. While there may very
    >>well be art in a science shot, the lack of art does not make it an
    >>uninteresting shot.
    >>
    >>I think the shots were excellent if considered as an accurate
    >>representation
    >>of the birds involved.

    Perhaps it's my hangup. I like to see some blurring to indicate motion.

    > I was talking with a young lady a few days ago about
    > photography and art, and when I suggested to her that
    > the concept (which she very clearly understood) of an
    > image as a medium to communicate a message to a viewer
    > was something many photographers did not understand, and
    > that I was pleased to see that she did understand it...
    >
    > She responded by sayng, "But I'm not a photographer! I'm
    > an artist who uses photography."

    Sounds like the typical comments of some of the fine art photographers I
    know. INterestingly, females and gay photographers have made similar
    statements. The straight photo artists I consider themselves to be
    artist-photographers, as opposed to artists who use photography as a medium.
    I wonder if its simply a different way each views themselves. Indeed several
    very successful fashion photographer friends of mine, who are definitely
    straight, simply consider themselves as good photographers, not artists.
    Yet, I consider them to be excellent artists.

    The above is said simply as my observation. It is not intended to disparage.
    Perhaps the observations of others differ.

    > One of her most recent shows, which is now on tour, was
    > 15 images of herself, all distinctly different, all with
    > a white background, and very similar in many ways to the
    > bird images cited above. (Incidentally, the 15 images
    > were very carefully planned, and shot using 4x5 sheet
    > film.)
    >
    > <http://ericalord.com/section/22658_Un_Defined_Self_Portrait_series.html>
    >
    > For a very different view (my art, as opposed to her's) of
    > just who she is,
    >
    > <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson/gallery2/d3s_5221.s.jpg>
    > <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson/gallery2/d3s_5504.s.jpg>
    >
    > I would suggest that anyone who does not see art in the
    > bird pictures of Andrew-Zuckermans is not an artist, but
    > just a photographer. His work is not "standard"
    > photography, but is art at a level well beyond what most
    > photography represents.
    >
    > (The "young lady", Erica Lord, teaches Art at the
    > University of Alaska Fairbank, has a Masters degree in
    > Art from Chicago's School of Art Institute, and has
    > exhibited her work at the Smithsonian's National Museum
    > of the American Indian.)

    Fascinating that she views herself so completely different from the way you
    have portrayed her.
    But then, I am not a psychologist.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Jul 9, 2010

  3. Peter

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 22:19:03 -0400, "Peter"
    <> wrote:

    >Perhaps it's my hangup. I like to see some blurring to indicate motion.

    Oh, man, have I taken some photos that you would *love*. I can get a
    blurry photo of a dead log. In my Maxwell Smart voice: Would you
    believe a falling log?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 9, 2010
  4. Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    > John Navas <> wrote:

    << Snipped bits out >>

    > If art is in the eye of the beholder, and *you* don't
    > see any art, then *you* are the one lacking (your are
    > the beholder) art.

    Floyd -

    Why don't you spit the hook out and get on to something better??

    --
    lsmft

    John McWilliams, Jul 9, 2010
  5. Peter

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, John Navas
    <> wrote:

    > If you don't want to get treated like a pompous and rude ass,
    > then don't act like one.

    take your own advice.

    nospam, Jul 9, 2010