Re: BIOS on old Compaq

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by wangchung, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. wangchung

    wangchung Guest

    "olfart" <> wrote in message news:<bco7gq$l71mi$>...
    > Thanks. I'll d/l the file and give it a try. The bios partition on the H/D
    > is gone since when I got the mach the H/D was bad and I replaces it with one
    > dormatted for win 95(one drive no partitions). It's working pretty well for
    > a old clunker but would still like to be able to get into the bios.
    > "wizzle" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "olfart" <> wrote in message
    > > > Fixing up old Compaq 575 for grandkids games. Need to know how to get in

    > > > the BIOS. Tried Del key-no luck. Thanks
    > > >

    > > BIOS setup keystrokes
    > > The first item is the key or key combination. The second is the model

    > of
    > > PC or the maker of the BIOS. You'll see some companies listed many times,
    > > with different keystrokes. That's normal. (It's not that manufacturers

    > can't
    > > make up their minds. It's just that they change suppliers and use

    > different
    > > BIOS setups.)
    > > Delete: AMI or Award BIOS.
    > > Esc: Toshiba
    > > F1: Toshiba; Phoenix; some IBM PS/1 models.
    > > F10: Compaq.
    > > F2: NEC.
    > > Insert: IBM PS/2.
    > > Tab: eMachines.
    > > Reset button (press twice): Some old Dells.
    > > Ctrl-Alt-+: Various computers.
    > > Ctrl-Alt-?: Some old IBM PS/2 models.
    > > Ctrl-Alt-Enter: Some Dells, others.
    > > Ctrl-Alt-Esc: AST, Tandon, others.
    > > Ctrl-Alt-Ins: Zenith PCs, Phoenix BIOS.
    > > Ctrl-Alt-S: Phoenix BIOS.
    > > Ctrl-Alt-Shift with Del (on number pad): Olivetti.
    > > Ctrl-Esc: Many PCs.
    > > Ctrl-Ins: Some IBM PS/2s.
    > > Ctrl-S: Phoenix BIOS.
    > > Ctrl-Shift-Esc: Tandon
    > >

    > > Try looking at this site:
    > >
    > > http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/deskpro/us/download/263.html
    > >

    > > I remember trying to fix up an old Deskpro as I recall, to get into bios
    > > setup it needed to be booted from a utility floppy that was downloaded

    > from
    > > Compaq which is now HP.
    > >
    > > I never did figure out how to get the OS loaded because it actually had a
    > > SCSI hard drive, couldn't get the right drivers onto the boot disk.

    Hey I found this article which finally clarified this situation for
    me...now it makes sense.

    taken from:
    http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x1f2f63f96280d711abdc0090277a778c,00.html

    "On the Compaq computers from around that time, the F10 setup was
    stored on the hard drive. If you've re-partitioned or replaced the
    hard drive, the F10 setup is gone. You can download it from this site
    and run it from diskettes or install it on your hard drive. To install
    it on your hard drive, you need to either wipe the existing partitions
    off of the drive or create some space with a program like
    PartitionMagic...which costs about $70, last I saw. My suggestion
    would be to get the upgrade. Despite the probability that the F10
    setup is gone, your CMOS still contains the settings. You could reset
    the CMOS by moving the appropriate jumper to the Clear position.

    As for accessing the F10 setup, yes...it's F10. The timing of hitting
    the F10 key is when, at the Compaq screen, you see the flashing cursor
    move to the upper right of the screen. I understand that if the F10
    setup isn't present, the cursor won't go up to the upper right corner.

    I have a Presario from right about the same time. I simply use the
    diskettes to run the F10 setup. I made the diskettes from the
    downloads on this site. The F10 setup is present on my Presario, but
    so is EZ-BIOS, which makes timing the hitting of the F10 key very
    difficult. So I use the diskettes to boot off of when I want the F10
    setup...so the computer never reads EZ-BIOS."
    wangchung, Jun 24, 2003

  2. wangchung

    olfart Guest

    Thanks for all the help.