Re: Binary Pixel and High Dynamic Range Imaging

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wolfgang Weisselberg, Apr 17, 2013.

  1. Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > https://talks.stanford.edu/ai1ec_ev...l-and-high-dynamic-range-imaging/?instance_id
    > or
    > http://tinyurl.com/d3pep2t

    > I don't quite know what's going on here. Can anyone throw any light on
    > what is meant by 'binary pixels'?

    Oh, they just let the pixels overflow, empty them then and
    count how often that happens. Probably using pixels that
    overflow whenever a photon or three are captured, compared to
    our many 10's of thousands sensors.

    I had similar ideas, (count the time to overflow, very bright
    pixels overflowing really fast), but (unfortunately) didn't
    get the step to 'multiple overflows', which solves certain
    problem with non-static scenes. Oh well, I'm not a professional
    sensor designer.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Apr 17, 2013

  2. Wolfgang Weisselberg

    David Taylor Guest

    On 18/04/2013 18:10, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > I wonder how the noise performance is, because perhaps the step of
    > discharging the pixel could introduce some inaccuracies or the threshold
    > when the pixel is discharged perhaps is not so exactly measured. These
    > inaccuracies would mean additional noise.

    If you have so many photons you're getting overflows, does noise matter?
    I suppose it depends what the overflow count is, though....
    --
    Cheers,
    David

    David Taylor, Apr 18, 2013

  3. Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    > I wonder how the noise performance is, because perhaps the step of
    > discharging the pixel could introduce some inaccuracies

    Same as A/D converting. There's also noise added and
    inaccuracies introduced.

    > or the threshold
    > when the pixel is discharged perhaps is not so exactly measured.

    That only matters if that influences the end result more than
    tolerable as defined by the maker and sold to the customer
    (e.g. smartphone makers).

    > These
    > inaccuracies would mean additional noise.

    On the other hand you are not limited at all by the limited
    well size.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, May 2, 2013