Re: Bill Gates: a 21st century Robin Hood?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bobs, Mar 12, 2005.

  1. Bobs

    Bobs Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Jay wrote:
    >
    >>Don't buy it. Simple!

    > It is not so easy - MS is a monopoly.
    > (and that's not just my opinion, it is court finding)

    So what? Without Microsoft the internet and computing in general
    wouldn't be where it is today. Imagine a world with no Microsoft. There
    would be dozens of competing standards all trying to get their noses in.
    Like what the Roman Empire did for Europe, the power of MS has done more
    good than harm for PC's and the rise of IT in the last 20 years.

    And no, I'm not some William Gates fanboy. I am using Thunderbird to
    post this message for example. But for the average cretin that knows as
    much about computers as Cuntabs know about hygiene, MS products tend to
    be a good choice.

    I mean, just imagine trying to buy a game without Windows existing. LOL.
    Christ, there would be no profit for anyone trying to make a game. They
    would have to program it for about a dozen different OS's. Same goes for
    business software.

    Bobs, Mar 12, 2005

  2. Bobs

    Peter Guest

    Bobs wrote:
    > So what? Without Microsoft the internet and computing in general
    > wouldn't be where it is today. Imagine a world with no Microsoft. There
    > would be dozens of competing standards all trying to get their noses in.
    > Like what the Roman Empire did for Europe, the power of MS has done more
    > good than harm for PC's and the rise of IT in the last 20 years.

    I think we are a lot better off without monopolies (if fact, better off
    without any dominant central rule, whether it is religious, monachy,
    communism, whatever).

    It would be misleading to imply that multiple suppliers inevitably means
    competing (incompatible) standards. For example, consider mobile phones -
    many manufacturers, so customers have choice, competitive pricing and
    vigourous innovation.
    Compare this with software, customers lack choice, suffer monopoly prices
    and get little innovation.
    The innovation aspect is currently being illustrated by web browsers. The
    monopoly browser has shown no innovation for years, while the competing
    browsers have lots of new features and innovations.

    Peter
    Peter, Mar 12, 2005

  3. Bobs

    Bobs Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Bobs wrote:
    >
    >>So what? Without Microsoft the internet and computing in general
    >>wouldn't be where it is today. Imagine a world with no Microsoft. There
    >>would be dozens of competing standards all trying to get their noses in.
    >>Like what the Roman Empire did for Europe, the power of MS has done more
    >>good than harm for PC's and the rise of IT in the last 20 years.

    > I think we are a lot better off without monopolies (if fact, better off
    > without any dominant central rule, whether it is religious, monachy,
    > communism, whatever).
    >
    > It would be misleading to imply that multiple suppliers inevitably means
    > competing (incompatible) standards.

    Not in IT. IT is riddled with competing products having different
    standards. Even today.

    Let us say you are a company that wants to program a piece of software
    that makes images of your hard drive, such as Ghost. Now, if Windows
    never existed...which platform would you use? And how would they sell
    any units to make a profit from it? You say Microsoft has stifled
    innovation, the argument can just as easily be the reverse. Because of
    the dominance of Windows, programmers have the confidence to know that
    any software they write for it can be used by 95% of the public.

    Bobs, Mar 12, 2005
  4. Bobs

    Jay Guest

    "Bobs" <> wrote in message
    > Peter wrote:

    > Not in IT. IT is riddled with competing products having different
    > standards. Even today.
    >
    > Let us say you are a company that wants to program a piece of software
    > that makes images of your hard drive, such as Ghost. Now, if Windows never
    > existed...which platform would you use? And how would they sell any units
    > to make a profit from it? You say Microsoft has stifled innovation, the
    > argument can just as easily be the reverse. Because of the dominance of
    > Windows, programmers have the confidence to know that any software they
    > write for it can be used by 95% of the public.

    And given the advent of the .NET framework (MS innovation) these programmers
    can continue to write code in the language of their choice with zero loss of
    function.

    Jay
    Jay, Mar 12, 2005
  5. In <FJtYd.8892$> Bobs wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >> Jay wrote:
    >>
    >>>Don't buy it. Simple!

    >> It is not so easy - MS is a monopoly.
    >> (and that's not just my opinion, it is court finding)

    > So what? Without Microsoft the internet and computing in general
    > wouldn't be where it is today.

    The Internet? Er, Microsoft didn't even notice the Internet until after
    1995, by which time it was pretty much the same as it is now. Unless you
    mean the _negative_ impact they're had on the Internet due to the
    combination of the Windows monoculture and their poor security record
    with respect to malware.

    > Imagine a world with no Microsoft.

    It's easy if you try.

    > There would be dozens of competing standards all trying to get their
    > noses in.

    No, some _other_ OS would have become a standard. Just like CP/M did
    before it, and Linux has after it.

    > Like what the Roman Empire did for Europe, the power of MS
    > has done more good than harm for PC's and the rise of IT in the last
    > 20 years.

    What have the Romans ever done for us?

    > And no, I'm not some William Gates fanboy. I am using Thunderbird to
    > post this message for example. But for the average cretin that knows
    > as much about computers as Cuntabs know about hygiene, MS products
    > tend to be a good choice.
    >
    > I mean, just imagine trying to buy a game without Windows existing.
    > LOL. Christ, there would be no profit for anyone trying to make a
    > game. They would have to program it for about a dozen different OS's.

    You mean like they used to back in the 1980s with IBM PC, Apple II,
    Atari, Atari ST, Commodore 64, Amiga, Spectrum, Amstrad CPC etc?
    Fortunately they don't have that problem anymore. Now they only have to
    program for Windows. And Macintosh. And Sony PlayStation 2 and Portable,
    Microsoft Xbox, Nintendo GameBoy Advance, DS and GameCube, and Java,
    Palm, Symbian and Windows CE/Pocket PC/Windows Mobile (or whatever name
    they're calling it this year). It certainly must be a real relief!

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Mar 12, 2005

  6. >
    > Not in IT. IT is riddled with competing products having different
    > standards. Even today.
    >
    > Let us say you are a company that wants to program a piece of software
    > that makes images of your hard drive, such as Ghost. Now, if Windows
    > never existed...which platform would you use? And how would they sell
    > any units to make a profit from it? You say Microsoft has stifled
    > innovation, the argument can just as easily be the reverse. Because of
    > the dominance of Windows, programmers have the confidence to know that
    > any software they write for it can be used by 95% of the public.

    Forgive my ignorance.. but how does the operating system dictate how a
    hard drive is 'ghosted'. Isnt it possible.. for example.. to make a
    bootable floppy and then mount any hard drives which can then be 'ghosted'
    to a cd.
    Or if a floppys too small then use two cd drives etc.
    Also one or two arguments against a 'monopoly' providing confidence to
    know any software they write can be used by 95% of the public would be if
    the monopoly company decides it wants your market (Lotus will tell you
    what I'm talking about).
    Another argument against is a certain company that has a habit of
    'enhancing' standards in such a way as to prevent programmers using
    anything but their product

    Shane (aka froggy), Mar 12, 2005
  7. Bobs

    David Preece Guest

    Jay wrote:
    > And given the advent of the .NET framework (MS innovation) these programmers
    > can continue to write code in the language of their choice with zero loss of
    > function.

    You're new to computers, right?

    Dave
    David Preece, Mar 12, 2005
  8. Bobs

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Bobs wrote:

    > Let us say you are a company that wants to program a piece of software
    > that makes images of your hard drive, such as Ghost. Now, if Windows
    > never existed...which platform would you use?

    Bad example.

    I don't use Windows to do that - I use DOS, and in fact there are
    several kinds of DOS that I could use - not just MSDOS.
    -=rjh=-, Mar 12, 2005
  9. Bobs

    David Guest

    Jay wrote:
    > "Bobs" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Peter wrote:

    >>Not in IT. IT is riddled with competing products having different
    >>standards. Even today.
    >>
    >>Let us say you are a company that wants to program a piece of software
    >>that makes images of your hard drive, such as Ghost. Now, if Windows never
    >>existed...which platform would you use? And how would they sell any units
    >>to make a profit from it? You say Microsoft has stifled innovation, the
    >>argument can just as easily be the reverse. Because of the dominance of
    >>Windows, programmers have the confidence to know that any software they
    >>write for it can be used by 95% of the public.

    > And given the advent of the .NET framework (MS innovation) these programmers
    > can continue to write code in the language of their choice with zero loss of
    > function.
    >
    > Jay

    The only loss of function being the loss of the ability to run more than
    one program at a time without buying a tonne of RAM, and the ability to
    do something quickly.
    David, Mar 12, 2005
  10. Bobs

    Jay Guest

    "David" <> wrote in
    message news:4%wYd.8922$...
    > Jay wrote:
    >> "Bobs" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Peter wrote:

    >>>Not in IT. IT is riddled with competing products having different
    >>>standards. Even today.
    >>>
    >>>Let us say you are a company that wants to program a piece of software
    >>>that makes images of your hard drive, such as Ghost. Now, if Windows
    >>>never existed...which platform would you use? And how would they sell any
    >>>units to make a profit from it? You say Microsoft has stifled innovation,
    >>>the argument can just as easily be the reverse. Because of the dominance
    >>>of Windows, programmers have the confidence to know that any software
    >>>they write for it can be used by 95% of the public.

    >> And given the advent of the .NET framework (MS innovation) these
    >> programmers can continue to write code in the language of their choice
    >> with zero loss of function.
    >>
    >> Jay
    >>

    > The only loss of function being the loss of the ability to run more than
    > one program at a time without buying a tonne of RAM, and the ability to do
    > something quickly.

    You might want to consider rewriting you code
    Jay, Mar 12, 2005
  11. Bobs

    David Guest

    Jay wrote:
    > "David" <> wrote in
    > message news:4%wYd.8922$...
    >
    >>Jay wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Bobs" <> wrote in message

    >>>And given the advent of the .NET framework (MS innovation) these
    >>>programmers can continue to write code in the language of their choice
    >>>with zero loss of function.
    >>>
    >>>Jay
    >>>

    >>The only loss of function being the loss of the ability to run more than
    >>one program at a time without buying a tonne of RAM, and the ability to do
    >>something quickly.

    > You might want to consider rewriting you code

    Hmm. I could rewrite all my code into .NET and lose performance, and
    have my users forced to download/install the runtime, or I can continue
    using the Win32 API/with WTL and know that my code will work perfectly
    and quickly on every version of windows released in the last 10 years,
    and most likely in the next 10 years too. Microsoft always keeps as much
    backwards compatibility as possible, otherwise people get angry when
    they can't use their DOS checkout software on their new Dells
    preinstalled with XP etc.
    (AFAIK XP was the first mainstream, home-user Windows release which
    wasn't based on DOS, they only reason they sold the notoriously crap
    Windows ME when win2000 was also around was for backwards compatiblity
    and user familiarity reasons)
    David, Mar 12, 2005
  12. Bobs

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:54:05 +1300, Bobs wrote:

    > So what? Without Microsoft the internet and computing in general
    > wouldn't be where it is today. Imagine a world with no Microsoft. There
    > would be dozens of competing standards all trying to get their noses in.
    > Like what the Roman Empire did for Europe, the power of MS has done more
    > good than harm for PC's and the rise of IT in the last 20 years.

    Crap. Quite simply bobs you should stick to nz.general, where people are
    generally stupid enough to listen to you. Keep your shit out of nz.comp.

    Gates has done more to hold back computing due to his monopolistic games
    than he ever did to advance it. There have been many examples of superior
    ideas and systems before, during and since his monopoly that have not
    gained acceptance because his company has deliberately used any foul means
    to bankrupt them.

    You are stupid enough to think that is 'business'; people with some modicum
    of intellect recognise it as banditry.

    The lies his company tells about Linux are simply the latest example.

    Like your viruses and worms, do you ? You can thank bill for making it soo
    easy.

    --

    .... Brendan

    Proof by importance: A large body of useful consequences all follow from the proposition in question.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 12/03/2005 10:26:33 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Mar 12, 2005
  13. Bobs

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    Brendan <> provided this moment of wisdom....

    >On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:54:05 +1300, Bobs wrote:
    >
    >> So what? Without Microsoft the internet and computing in general
    >> wouldn't be where it is today.

    As much as I hate to admit it - Bobs is right on this occasion.

    > Imagine a world with no Microsoft. There
    >> would be dozens of competing standards all trying to get their noses in.
    >> Like what the Roman Empire did for Europe, the power of MS has done more
    >> good than harm for PC's and the rise of IT in the last 20 years.

    >Crap. Quite simply bobs you should stick to nz.general,

    Yet, you neglected to notice the crosspost.

    > where people are
    >generally stupid enough to listen to you.

    Lol, no........ the regs of nz.general are indeed stupid..... but
    rarely does anyone listen to Bobs rantings.

    > Keep your shit out of nz.comp.

    Again, crossposting was in play here. Mabe time to get a proper
    newsreader that informs you of the afore-mentioned affliction?

    >Gates has done more to hold back computing due to his monopolistic games
    >than he ever did to advance it. There have been many examples of superior
    >ideas and systems before, during and since his monopoly that have not
    >gained acceptance because his company has deliberately used any foul means
    >to bankrupt them.
    >
    >You are stupid enough to think that is 'business'; people with some modicum
    >of intellect recognise it as banditry.
    >
    >The lies his company tells about Linux are simply the latest example.

    Oh, and we KNOW that the linux fanatics NEVER tell lies. <sarcasm>.

    >Like your viruses and worms, do you ?

    What viruses and worms. I never seem to get these things. And yet they
    are so rampant (according to the linux fanatics).

    > You can thank bill for making it soo easy.

    No, you can thank the uneducated masses who spread lies about security
    issues, due to their ignorance and inablitity to secure systems.

    Do you blame Henry Ford every time a drunk driver kills a pedestrain?

    Ryan Jacobs, Mar 12, 2005
  14. Bobs

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Ryan Jacobs" <> wrote in message
    > Brendan <> provided this moment of wisdom....
    >
    >>On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:54:05 +1300, Bobs wrote:
    >>
    >>> So what? Without Microsoft the internet and computing in general
    >>> wouldn't be where it is today.

    > As much as I hate to admit it - Bobs is right on this occasion.

    He sure is.
    For one thing the dominance of the main OS across most PCs has made damn
    sure that most PC can run completely compatible software with each other.

    Take the common VHS VCR it won't play BETA tapes and it won't even play SVHS
    tapes. It won't play CDs either. You buy software for a PC and you can be
    pretty sure as long as the hardware has enough grunt that you can use that
    software on a PC.

    For MS to be the evil empire that some people claim all MS would have to do
    and very well could've done is make sure that the MS OS will only run MS
    provided software.

    Even DVD players aren't as compatible as PC computers are. A region 1 only
    DVD player from the US would be a fat lot of good in NZ, being the worst
    example.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Mar 12, 2005
  15. Bobs

    Chris Hope Guest

    *sling wrote:

    > "Ryan Jacobs" <> wrote in message
    >> Brendan <> provided this moment of wisdom....

    >> As much as I hate to admit it - Bobs is right on this occasion.

    > He sure is.
    > For one thing the dominance of the main OS across most PCs has made
    > damn sure that most PC can run completely compatible software with
    > each other.
    >
    > Take the common VHS VCR it won't play BETA tapes and it won't even
    > play SVHS
    > tapes. It won't play CDs either. You buy software for a PC and you
    > can be pretty sure as long as the hardware has enough grunt that you
    > can use that software on a PC.
    >
    > For MS to be the evil empire that some people claim all MS would have
    > to do and very well could've done is make sure that the MS OS will
    > only run MS provided software.
    >
    > Even DVD players aren't as compatible as PC computers are. A region 1
    > only DVD player from the US would be a fat lot of good in NZ, being
    > the worst example.

    Do you really believe that if IBM hadn't licensed Microsoft's DOS that
    whatever company they chose wouldn't have ended up with dominance on
    the PC platform? At the very least IBM would have ended up having
    dominance of the desktop PC with OS2, which by many accounts was a far
    better desktop GUI than Windows ever was.

    Chris Hope, Mar 12, 2005
  16. Bobs

    Bubba Ray Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "Ryan Jacobs" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Brendan <> provided this moment of wisdom....

    >>As much as I hate to admit it - Bobs is right on this occasion.

    > He sure is.
    > For one thing the dominance of the main OS across most PCs has made damn
    > sure that most PC can run completely compatible software with each other.
    >
    > Take the common VHS VCR it won't play BETA tapes and it won't even play SVHS
    > tapes. It won't play CDs either. You buy software for a PC and you can be
    > pretty sure as long as the hardware has enough grunt that you can use that
    > software on a PC.
    >
    > For MS to be the evil empire that some people claim all MS would have to do
    > and very well could've done is make sure that the MS OS will only run MS
    > provided software.
    >
    > Even DVD players aren't as compatible as PC computers are. A region 1 only
    > DVD player from the US would be a fat lot of good in NZ, being the worst
    > example.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    And don't forget all the money Bill has helped make for anti-virus
    companies. Without him people would find it much harder to write viruses
    that did significant damage meaning people wouldn't have as much of a
    need for anti-virus software.
    Bubba Ray, Mar 12, 2005
  17. Bobs

    Bobs Guest

    Brendan wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:54:05 +1300, Bobs wrote:
    >

    >>So what? Without Microsoft the internet and computing in general
    >>wouldn't be where it is today. Imagine a world with no Microsoft. There
    >>would be dozens of competing standards all trying to get their noses in.
    >>Like what the Roman Empire did for Europe, the power of MS has done more
    >>good than harm for PC's and the rise of IT in the last 20 years.

    > Crap. Quite simply bobs you should stick to nz.general, where people are
    > generally stupid enough to listen to you. Keep your shit out of nz.comp.

    I will post wherever I want you obnoxious little nerd.

    > Gates has done more to hold back computing due to his monopolistic games
    > than he ever did to advance it. There have been many examples of superior
    > ideas and systems before, during and since his monopoly that have not
    > gained acceptance because his company has deliberately used any foul means
    > to bankrupt them.
    >
    > You are stupid enough to think that is 'business'; people with some modicum
    > of intellect recognise it as banditry.

    No, it's business.

    > The lies his company tells about Linux are simply the latest example.

    Yes, because Linux is such a user friendly platform. I'm sure Mrs Rogers
    can use it.

    > Like your viruses and worms, do you ? You can thank bill for making it soo
    > easy.

    Never had a virus in my life. Can't blame Microsoft for peoples lack of
    technical skill. Windows may be more user friendly than Linux, but even
    Windows requires a person to know the basics of computing.
    Bobs, Mar 12, 2005
  18. Bobs

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:48:42 +1300, Ryan Jacobs wrote:

    > As much as I hate to admit it - Bobs is right on this occasion.

    He is not.

    >>Crap. Quite simply bobs you should stick to nz.general,

    > Yet, you neglected to notice the crosspost.

    I neglected nothing. I simply did not think it relevant.

    >> where people are
    >>generally stupid enough to listen to you.

    > Lol, no........ the regs of nz.general are indeed stupid..... but
    > rarely does anyone listen to Bobs rantings.

    exactly; he should stay in the asylym of nz.general, refrain from talking
    about computers, and all would be well.

    >> Keep your shit out of nz.comp.

    > Again, crossposting was in play here. Mabe time to get a proper
    > newsreader that informs you of the afore-mentioned affliction?

    My news reader is superior to yours. Your petty baiting is beneath my
    notice.

    >>The lies his company tells about Linux are simply the latest example.

    > Oh, and we KNOW that the linux fanatics NEVER tell lies. <sarcasm>.

    Sarcasm only works when you have the wit to make it relevant.

    You do not. A lesson for you:

    1. The lies 'linux fanatics' may tell has nothing to do with the lies
    Microsoft tells. One is not contingent upon the other, and neither gives
    justification for the other.

    2. I have yet to see any major linux organisation compareable to microsoft
    tell lies of the magnitude microsoft has.

    >>Like your viruses and worms, do you ?

    > What viruses and worms. I never seem to get these things. And yet they
    > are so rampant (according to the linux fanatics).

    According to the companies selling anti virus software, and the people whom
    I repair computers for.

    Ryan, feel free to continue to make a burk of yourself. Really, feel free.

    >> You can thank bill for making it soo easy.

    > No, you can thank the uneducated masses who spread lies about security
    > issues, due to their ignorance and inablitity to secure systems.

    No, I will thank bill for leaving so much of the OS open to exploits via
    networks.

    > Do you blame Henry Ford every time a drunk driver kills a pedestrain?

    Your analogy is in no way relevant. And if I thought you had the wit to
    understand how, I would explain why.

    --

    .... Brendan

    BORE, n. A person who talks when you wish him to listen. -- Ambrose Bierce

    Note: All my comments are copyright 13/03/2005 12:17:05 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Mar 12, 2005
  19. Bobs

    Bobs Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "Ryan Jacobs" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Brendan <> provided this moment of wisdom....

    >>As much as I hate to admit it - Bobs is right on this occasion.

    > He sure is.
    > For one thing the dominance of the main OS across most PCs has made damn
    > sure that most PC can run completely compatible software with each other.
    >
    > Take the common VHS VCR it won't play BETA tapes and it won't even play SVHS
    > tapes. It won't play CDs either. You buy software for a PC and you can be
    > pretty sure as long as the hardware has enough grunt that you can use that
    > software on a PC.
    >
    > For MS to be the evil empire that some people claim all MS would have to do
    > and very well could've done is make sure that the MS OS will only run MS
    > provided software.
    >
    > Even DVD players aren't as compatible as PC computers are. A region 1 only
    > DVD player from the US would be a fat lot of good in NZ, being the worst
    > example.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    You are wasting your time with these pathetic little geeks, McDuck. As I
    work in the industry, I see these elitist and envious little hacks all
    the time. They can't stand Microsoft and will never admit to it doing
    anything right. That's why I can't stand nz.comp. It's full of pompous
    little know it alls that think anyone who uses MS products is some kind
    of idiot.

    Basically they spout the same old tired crap over and over. "Gates
    abuses his monopoly" is their favourite line. Along with the usual crap
    about worms and viruses, all the while negleting to factor in that since
    Windows has a 95% monopoly on desktop computers it makes sense that
    virus writers would target it. Why would they target Linux? And as I
    said earlier, I've never had a virus using Windows. All you need is
    common sense, which sadly many people lack. That isn't the fault of Gates.

    Oh yeah, and "Windows crashes all the time". Again, most likely due to
    the fact that they have no technical ability. I've had Windows 2000
    Server running for 2 years now, with no crashes. And by running, I mean
    running 24/7. My Windows XP Pro on this machine has been on for 2 years
    with no problems. Never had a blue screen or a crash outside of playing
    a couple of buggy games. Solid as a rock. Even took my hard drive with
    XP Pro to the states with me and plugged it into a brand new machine and
    it ran fine. Plug and play with a brand new motherboard, cpu, ram, and
    video card and it booted up like nothing had changed.
    Bobs, Mar 12, 2005
  20. Bobs

    Bobs Guest

    Scrooge, here's an example of the pompous elitism I was talking about.

    Bobs, Mar 12, 2005