Re: BEWARE SYMANTIC INTERNET SECURITY

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by privacy.at Anonymous Remailer, Sep 16, 2004.

  1. NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway.
    No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.
    --------------------------------------------------------


    It's not just Symantec Internet Security you know. Almost all programs in
    the Norton product range are buggy resource hungry bloatware.

    I refuse to use any Symantec product, and have done so for over 5 years
    now.
    It's a shame Symantec/Norton are so well known. Millions of computer
    illiterates buy Norton products thinking it will protect their computers
    from viruses and hackers. They think an antivirus and a firewall will
    protect them from 100% of viruses and hackers 100% of the time. Little do
    they know that by installing the Norton product they get minimal
    protection, and system destabilization. Either the computer crashes or
    they get infected by some virus which NAV failed to detect.
    They then contact Symantec 'support' wait a few hours in a que only to get
    through to some Indian call centre who you cant understand what they are
    saying. Eventually, after saying 'pardon, could you repeat that please?' a
    few times you manage to decrypt the poor English you hear down the phone
    and it appears to say 'reinstall Norton product. If problem persists go to
    the Symantec support website for more information. If this does not work
    then ring us back. Thanks for calling Symantec support. Goodbye!'.
    This is just a typical scenario all too common with Symantec products.

    I am renowned in my area for being the 'computer geek/repair guy'. When
    the W32/Blaster-A virus was released I was asked to repair several
    computers. Guess which 'antivirus' they were using?
    Of course, you knew it - Good old Norton! (McAfee was also installed on
    another user's pc). I fixed the problem with Sophos Resolve and advised
    them to uninstall the Norton product immediately, which I did for them.
    I replaced NAV with NOD32 as on access scanner and Sophos Anti-Virus as on
    demand scanner, and installed and configured Tiny Firewall correctly.
    The users who followed my advice have not yet had another virus infection,
    and I have not been called to assist them.

    All I can say is that my experience and the experience of many other users
    indicates that Symantec/Norton products are indeed poor and should be
    avoided unless you want to get infected by some virus or end up having some
    cracker attacking your pc.
    privacy.at Anonymous Remailer, Sep 16, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. privacy.at Anonymous Remailer

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > All I can say is that my experience and the experience of many other users
    > indicates that Symantec/Norton products are indeed poor and should be
    > avoided unless you want to get infected by some virus or end up having some
    > cracker attacking your pc.


    Any you will find hundreds of more users that are fully protected by the
    Norton products, never have experienced a virus because of them, and
    that have no need for other products.

    Our customers, with many systems across the US and outside, are
    protected by Symantec products (in addition to others) that they have
    never had a virus in more than 10 years. In fact, in 28+ years of my
    working with computers I've never been infected with any virus, and
    neither has any computer system that I've been responsible for managing.

    Norton and Symantec products work great. Keep in mind, all AV products
    are reactionary, you need to understand the threats to protect your
    systems, and AV products are only a small part of that protection plan.

    --
    --

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Sep 16, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. privacy.at Anonymous Remailer

    Anonymous Guest


    > Any you will find hundreds of more users that are fully protected by
    > the Norton products, never have experienced a virus because of them,
    > and that have no need for other products.
    >
    > Our customers, with many systems across the US and outside, are
    > protected by Symantec products (in addition to others) that they have
    > never had a virus in more than 10 years. In fact, in 28+ years of my
    > working with computers I've never been infected with any virus, and
    > neither has any computer system that I've been responsible for
    > managing.
    >
    > Norton and Symantec products work great. Keep in mind, all AV products
    > are reactionary, you need to understand the threats to protect your
    > systems, and AV products are only a small part of that protection
    > plan.
    >


    I must agree with Theodore Spoonbender and the user who was hiding behind
    the remailer. Norton Anti-Virus is pretty crap. The main problem is the
    severe bloatedness, slow scan speeds and increased frequency of computer
    crashes and BSODs. Detection is fair, but not as good as all the pc
    magazines make it out to be. Most pc magazines say NAV is the best
    antivirus. lol. They obviously have not heard of NOD32!
    I guess Symantec just pays the pc magazines large sums of money for
    promoting their product. If Aladdin were as big as Symantec, I wonder if
    eSafe would emerge as the best antivirus (according to pc magazines), even
    though it is probably the worst.
    Anonymous, Sep 16, 2004
    #3
  4. privacy.at Anonymous Remailer

    Lee Higdon Guest

    Anonymous wrote:

    > I must agree with Theodore Spoonbender and the user who was hiding behind
    > the remailer. Norton Anti-Virus is pretty crap. The main problem is the
    > severe bloatedness, slow scan speeds and increased frequency of computer
    > crashes and BSODs. Detection is fair, but not as good as all the pc
    > magazines make it out to be. Most pc magazines say NAV is the best
    > antivirus. lol. They obviously have not heard of NOD32!
    > I guess Symantec just pays the pc magazines large sums of money for
    > promoting their product. If Aladdin were as big as Symantec, I wonder if
    > eSafe would emerge as the best antivirus (according to pc magazines), even
    > though it is probably the worst.
    >


    Now I'm using a version of Symantec AV CE, which is a much different
    product than the home user editions. It is not bloated, doesn't scan
    slowly, nor does it blue screen. It's a Symantec product, so your
    generalizations doesn't hold true.

    BTW, I know the difference. I'm a licensed user of NOD32 on another
    system and own several licenses for several other AV products I use on
    several other systems.
    Lee Higdon, Sep 16, 2004
    #4
  5. privacy.at Anonymous Remailer

    vb Guest

    "privacy.at Anonymous Remailer" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway.
    > No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.
    > --------------------------------------------------------
    >
    >
    > It's not just Symantec Internet Security you know. Almost all programs in
    > the Norton product range are buggy resource hungry bloatware.
    >
    > I refuse to use any Symantec product, and have done so for over 5 years
    > now.
    > It's a shame Symantec/Norton are so well known. Millions of computer
    > illiterates buy Norton products thinking it will protect their computers
    > from viruses and hackers. They think an antivirus and a firewall will
    > protect them from 100% of viruses and hackers 100% of the time. Little do
    > they know that by installing the Norton product they get minimal
    > protection, and system destabilization. Either the computer crashes or
    > they get infected by some virus which NAV failed to detect.
    > They then contact Symantec 'support' wait a few hours in a que only to get
    > through to some Indian call centre who you cant understand what they are
    > saying. Eventually, after saying 'pardon, could you repeat that please?'

    a
    > few times you manage to decrypt the poor English you hear down the phone
    > and it appears to say 'reinstall Norton product. If problem persists go

    to
    > the Symantec support website for more information. If this does not work
    > then ring us back. Thanks for calling Symantec support. Goodbye!'.
    > This is just a typical scenario all too common with Symantec products.
    >
    > I am renowned in my area for being the 'computer geek/repair guy'. When
    > the W32/Blaster-A virus was released I was asked to repair several
    > computers. Guess which 'antivirus' they were using?
    > Of course, you knew it - Good old Norton! (McAfee was also installed on
    > another user's pc). I fixed the problem with Sophos Resolve and advised
    > them to uninstall the Norton product immediately, which I did for them.
    > I replaced NAV with NOD32 as on access scanner and Sophos Anti-Virus as on
    > demand scanner, and installed and configured Tiny Firewall correctly.
    > The users who followed my advice have not yet had another virus infection,
    > and I have not been called to assist them.
    >
    > All I can say is that my experience and the experience of many other users
    > indicates that Symantec/Norton products are indeed poor and should be
    > avoided unless you want to get infected by some virus or end up having

    some
    > cracker attacking your pc.
    >
    >


    I use Norton and have NEVER had a problem....

    V.B.
    vb, Sep 16, 2004
    #5
  6. privacy.at Anonymous Remailer

    An Metet Guest

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, "vb" <> wrote:
    >"privacy.at Anonymous Remailer" <> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway.
    >> No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.
    >> --------------------------------------------------------
    >>
    >>
    >> It's not just Symantec Internet Security you know. Almost all programs in
    >> the Norton product range are buggy resource hungry bloatware.
    >>
    >> I refuse to use any Symantec product, and have done so for over 5 years
    >> now.
    >> It's a shame Symantec/Norton are so well known. Millions of computer
    >> illiterates buy Norton products thinking it will protect their computers
    >> from viruses and hackers. They think an antivirus and a firewall will
    >> protect them from 100% of viruses and hackers 100% of the time. Little do
    >> they know that by installing the Norton product they get minimal
    >> protection, and system destabilization. Either the computer crashes or
    >> they get infected by some virus which NAV failed to detect.
    >> They then contact Symantec 'support' wait a few hours in a que only to get
    >> through to some Indian call centre who you cant understand what they are
    >> saying. Eventually, after saying 'pardon, could you repeat that please?'

    >a
    >> few times you manage to decrypt the poor English you hear down the phone
    >> and it appears to say 'reinstall Norton product. If problem persists go

    >to
    >> the Symantec support website for more information. If this does not work
    >> then ring us back. Thanks for calling Symantec support. Goodbye!'.
    >> This is just a typical scenario all too common with Symantec products.
    >>
    >> I am renowned in my area for being the 'computer geek/repair guy'. When
    >> the W32/Blaster-A virus was released I was asked to repair several

    >I use Norton and have NEVER had a problem....
    >

    So what, wait until you come to uninstall the thing!!!
    It leaves traces of itself all over the HD; The last two computer repairs
    I've done had these issues, and the program had to be manually uninstalled.

    As the pervious posters have recommended, try NOD32, AVG or the one I use
    AVAST.


    Cheers
    Fred
    An Metet, Sep 17, 2004
    #6
  7. privacy.at Anonymous Remailer

    vb Guest

    "An Metet" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, "vb" <> wrote:
    > >"privacy.at Anonymous Remailer" <> wrote in
    > >message news:...
    > >> NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway.
    > >> No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.
    > >> --------------------------------------------------------
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> It's not just Symantec Internet Security you know. Almost all programs

    in
    > >> the Norton product range are buggy resource hungry bloatware.
    > >>
    > >> I refuse to use any Symantec product, and have done so for over 5 years
    > >> now.
    > >> It's a shame Symantec/Norton are so well known. Millions of computer
    > >> illiterates buy Norton products thinking it will protect their

    computers
    > >> from viruses and hackers. They think an antivirus and a firewall will
    > >> protect them from 100% of viruses and hackers 100% of the time. Little

    do
    > >> they know that by installing the Norton product they get minimal
    > >> protection, and system destabilization. Either the computer crashes or
    > >> they get infected by some virus which NAV failed to detect.
    > >> They then contact Symantec 'support' wait a few hours in a que only to

    get
    > >> through to some Indian call centre who you cant understand what they

    are
    > >> saying. Eventually, after saying 'pardon, could you repeat that

    please?'
    > >a
    > >> few times you manage to decrypt the poor English you hear down the

    phone
    > >> and it appears to say 'reinstall Norton product. If problem persists

    go
    > >to
    > >> the Symantec support website for more information. If this does not

    work
    > >> then ring us back. Thanks for calling Symantec support. Goodbye!'.
    > >> This is just a typical scenario all too common with Symantec products.
    > >>
    > >> I am renowned in my area for being the 'computer geek/repair guy'.

    When
    > >> the W32/Blaster-A virus was released I was asked to repair several

    > >I use Norton and have NEVER had a problem....
    > >

    > So what, wait until you come to uninstall the thing!!!
    > It leaves traces of itself all over the HD; The last two computer repairs
    > I've done had these issues, and the program had to be manually

    uninstalled.
    >
    > As the pervious posters have recommended, try NOD32, AVG or the one I use
    > AVAST.
    >
    >
    > Cheers
    > Fred


    Well, since I don't have problems with it, why would I want to uninstall
    it????

    V.B.
    vb, Sep 18, 2004
    #7
  8. On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, "vb" <> wrote:
    >"An Metet" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, "vb" <> wrote:
    >> >"privacy.at Anonymous Remailer" <> wrote in
    >> >message news:...


    >
    >Well, since I don't have problems with it, why would I want to uninstall
    >it????



    Oh you will one day.

    I helped a mate with his ADSL connection yesterday, and he had Nortons
    installed, and yes it was the latest with the definitions uptodate too.
    After removing Nortons from his HD, we installed AVAST, and it promptly
    found 9 viruses !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    Cheers
    Fred
    Tarapia Tapioco, Sep 18, 2004
    #8
  9. privacy.at Anonymous Remailer

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, "vb" <> wrote:
    > >"An Metet" <> wrote in message
    > >news:...
    > >> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, "vb" <> wrote:
    > >> >"privacy.at Anonymous Remailer" <> wrote in
    > >> >message news:...

    >
    > >
    > >Well, since I don't have problems with it, why would I want to uninstall
    > >it????

    >
    >
    > Oh you will one day.
    >
    > I helped a mate with his ADSL connection yesterday, and he had Nortons
    > installed, and yes it was the latest with the definitions uptodate too.
    > After removing Nortons from his HD, we installed AVAST, and it promptly
    > found 9 viruses !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    Run it in safe-mode and see if you find any more.

    --
    --

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Sep 18, 2004
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. nori

    worm from symantic

    nori, Apr 23, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    778
    Plato
    Apr 24, 2004
  2. TX2
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    335
  3. Theodore Spoonbender

    BEWARE SYMANTIC INTERNET SECURITY

    Theodore Spoonbender, Sep 14, 2004, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    475
    Theodore Spoonbender
    Sep 14, 2004
  4. Joe
    Replies:
    49
    Views:
    1,074
  5. greta deboer

    Norton symantic

    greta deboer, Mar 19, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    413
    Bigbri
    Mar 19, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page