Re: BEWARE Blockbuster's new policy

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Dr. Jai Maharaj, Apr 13, 2005.

  1. In article <>,
    RichA <> posted:

    > Yes, you can keep the dvd you rented, if you pay
    > for it. No more late charges.
    > Just check out the prices they are charging
    > for those DVDs. Think it'll be something like $15
    > for a Warner title, for example? Think again.
    > -Rich

    Does Netflix charge less for the DVDs if you want to keep 'em?

    Jai Maharaj
    http://www.mantra.com/jai
    Om Shanti
    Dr. Jai Maharaj, Apr 13, 2005

  2. Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > RichA <> posted:
    >>
    >> Yes, you can keep the dvd you rented, if you pay
    >> for it. No more late charges.
    >> Just check out the prices they are charging
    >> for those DVDs. Think it'll be something like $15
    >> for a Warner title, for example? Think again.
    >> -Rich

    > Does Netflix charge less for the DVDs if you want to keep 'em?

    With Netflix you can keep them as long as you want without any risk of being
    billed to purchase the DVD. They also are pretty liberal about lost DVDs,
    no hassle if it doesn't happen too often.

    --
    Gregg C.
    Gregg Cattanach, Apr 13, 2005

  3. Dr. Jai Maharaj

    unclejr Guest

    Gregg Cattanach wrote:
    > With Netflix you can keep them as long as you want without any risk
    > of being billed to purchase the DVD. They also are pretty liberal
    > about lost DVDs, no hassle if it doesn't happen too often.

    This sounds like a really cheap way to get (read: steal) a rare OOP
    DVD!

    -Junior
    unclejr, Apr 13, 2005
  4. Dr. Jai Maharaj

    unclejr Guest

    unclejr, Apr 13, 2005
  5. Dr. Jai Maharaj

    TB Guest

    "unclejr" wrote:

    > Gregg Cattanach wrote:
    >> With Netflix you can keep them as long as you want without any risk
    >> of being billed to purchase the DVD. They also are pretty liberal
    >> about lost DVDs, no hassle if it doesn't happen too often.

    > This sounds like a really cheap way to get (read: steal) a rare OOP
    > DVD!

    I doubt you'll find Netflix or Blockbuster for that matter renting truly
    rare dvds like the Criterion "Salo" or even old OOP Disney titles.

    T.B.
    TB, Apr 14, 2005
  6. Dr. Jai Maharaj

    RichA Guest

    On 13 Apr 2005 15:28:18 -0700, "unclejr" <> wrote:

    >Gregg Cattanach wrote:
    >> With Netflix you can keep them as long as you want without any risk
    >> of being billed to purchase the DVD. They also are pretty liberal
    >> about lost DVDs, no hassle if it doesn't happen too often.

    >This sounds like a really cheap way to get (read: steal) a rare OOP
    >DVD!
    >
    >-Junior

    It's one way to get them, if you don't mind one that's written on
    and has no original case.
    -Rich
    RichA, Apr 14, 2005
  7. In article <Mff7e.2109$>,
    "Gregg Cattanach" <> wrote:

    > With Netflix you can keep them as long as you want without any risk of being
    > billed to purchase the DVD. They also are pretty liberal about lost DVDs,
    > no hassle if it doesn't happen too often.

    Actually they are pretty liberal when it DID happen too often to me. I
    was having some nice little thief going through my mail and he took four
    discs total and Netflix never did anything to me. I guess the limit must
    be at least over four. :)
    Reginald Dwight, Apr 14, 2005
  8. Dr. Jai Maharaj

    moviePig Guest

    unclejr wrote:

    > Gregg Cattanach wrote:
    >
    >>With Netflix you can keep them as long as you want without any risk
    >>of being billed to purchase the DVD. They also are pretty liberal
    >>about lost DVDs, no hassle if it doesn't happen too often.

    > This sounds like a really cheap way to get (read: steal) a rare OOP
    > DVD!

    Haven't checked their policy on it, but the practice doesn't sound too
    difficult to spot... and to discourage, as they've got your Visa/MC.

    --

    /---------------------------\
    | YOUR taste at work... |
    moviePig, Apr 14, 2005
  9. Derek Janssen wrote:

    >>> This sounds like a really cheap way to get (read: steal) a rare OOP
    >>> DVD!

    >> Haven't checked their policy on it, but the practice doesn't sound
    >> too difficult to spot... and to discourage, as they've got your
    >> Visa/MC.

    > Oh, and four "losses" (even if the disk "never arrived") over a
    > subscription, and your account's pulled and/or banned for life...

    Not true. It is based on the number of lost DVDs over a rolling time
    period. The post office has lost about 10 DVDs over my several year
    subscription, and I haven't been 'banned'. And besides, if you have too
    many losses, they don't close your account, they will bill you for the cost
    of the last lost DVD.

    Don't post about Netflix when you don't have a clue how they operate.

    --
    Gregg C.
    Gregg Cattanach, Apr 14, 2005
  10. In article <Tbz7e.133$>,
    moviePig <> posted:

    Dr. Jai Maharaj, Apr 14, 2005
  11. In article <_iz7e.4382$>,
    Derek Janssen <> posted:

    Dr. Jai Maharaj, Apr 14, 2005
  12. In article <jYz7e.3501$>,
    "Gregg Cattanach" <> posted:

    Dr. Jai Maharaj, Apr 14, 2005

    Derek Janssen, Apr 14, 2005
  14. Dr. Jai Maharaj

    BTR1701 Guest

    In article <naINo6105elZYi@ZjaUq>, (Dr. Jai Maharaj)
    wrote:

    What's your deal with re-posting other people's stuff and adding nothing
    of your own to it?

    Is this the latest way you've found to be annoying?
    BTR1701, Apr 14, 2005
  15. In article <>,
    BTR1701 <> posted:

    > What's your deal with re-posting other people's stuff and adding nothing
    > of your own to it? . . .

    Restoring original or previous distribution
    when I feel like doing so. In other words,
    if someone comes along and removes one or
    more newsgroups from the distribution -- thereby
    censoring and limiting the discussion -- I may remove
    the censorship by restoring the distribution.

    Jai Maharaj
    http://www.mantra.com/jai
    Om Shanti
    Dr. Jai Maharaj, Apr 15, 2005
  16. Dr. Jai Maharaj

    Justin Guest

    Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote on [Fri, 15 Apr 2005 04:36:09 GMT]:
    > In article <>,
    > BTR1701 <> posted:
    >>
    >> What's your deal with re-posting other people's stuff and adding nothing
    >> of your own to it? . . .

    > Restoring original or previous distribution
    > when I feel like doing so. In other words,
    > if someone comes along and removes one or
    > more newsgroups from the distribution -- thereby
    > censoring and limiting the discussion -- I may remove
    > the censorship by restoring the distribution.

    i.e. when people take your stupid own newsgroup out of the distribution.
    moron.
    Justin, Apr 15, 2005
  17. In article <2go.com>,
    Justin <> posted:
    > [...]
    > [...]
    > [...]
    > moron.

    What a low esteem of yourself you must
    have to sign your post with "moron". Pity.

    Jai Maharaj
    http://www.mantra.com/jai
    Om Shanti
    Dr. Jai Maharaj, Apr 15, 2005
  18. In article <>,
    BTR1701 <> wrote:

    > In article <naINo6105elZYi@ZjaUq>, (Dr. Jai Maharaj)
    > wrote:
    >
    > What's your deal with re-posting other people's stuff and adding nothing
    > of your own to it?
    >
    > Is this the latest way you've found to be annoying?

    This guy is a famous Usenet kook. He doesn't need reasons.
    Urra Dipschitt, Apr 15, 2005
  19. Dr. Jai Maharaj

    BTR1701 Guest

    In article <QouNi8532IkXbu@ZsoOj>, (Dr. Jai Maharaj)
    wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > BTR1701 <> posted:
    > >
    > > What's your deal with re-posting other people's stuff and adding nothing
    > > of your own to it? . . .

    > Restoring original or previous distribution
    > when I feel like doing so. In other words,
    > if someone comes along and removes one or
    > more newsgroups from the distribution -- thereby
    > censoring and limiting the discussion -- I may remove
    > the censorship by restoring the distribution.

    So I was right-- it's just the latest way you've found to be annoying.
    BTR1701, Apr 15, 2005
  20. In article <QouNi8532IkXbu@ZsoOj>, Dr. Jai Maharaj <> wrote:
    >In article <>,
    > BTR1701 <> posted:

    >> What's your deal with re-posting other people's stuff and
    >> adding nothing of your own to it? . . .

    >Restoring original or previous distribution
    >when I feel like doing so. In other words,
    >if someone comes along and removes one or
    >more newsgroups from the distribution -- thereby
    >censoring and limiting the discussion -- I may remove
    >the censorship by restoring the distribution.

    Newsgroups don't get removed easily. There is a call for votes -
    just as there is for creation - and the news propagates to
    thousands and thousands and thousands of servers.

    Nothing you post on Usenet ever goes away - I can find posts of
    mine from the late 1980s if I search carefully.

    And reposting with no added comment is addressed in the RFC's for
    posting. >>IF<< your news provider is dumping newsgroups or
    not keeping article long enough, then YOU need to find a news
    provider who knows how to manage news.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com