Re: Best way to get large files from a friend?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wolfgang Weisselberg, Apr 15, 2013.

  1. Jennifer Murphy <> wrote:

    > Actually, they are are fine using Dropbox to receive files from me. For
    > that, they only need a link and they control the download. If Dropbox
    > had the reverse option, a link where they could upload, we'd be good. I
    > think it's a glaring hole in the Dropbox service. I check their user
    > forum. Someone suggested just that and the response was arrogant and a
    > little hostile. So I think Dropbox or at least some of their followers
    > have a bit of an attitude problem.

    Well, would you like it if anyone could stuff your Dropbox
    account? Or sent you files with viruses or trojans? Or send
    some child porn and tipped off the police?

    So your friends would have to authenticate themselves. Which
    means they need an account with Dropbox. Which means they
    might as well install Dropbox (this is in the best interest
    of Dropbox).

    Dropbox allows you to deliver files, not to receive them;
    this is the business model.

    Feel free to build a service that offers what you think
    Dropbox lacks.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Apr 15, 2013

  2. Wolfgang Weisselberg

    OG Guest

    On 15/04/2013 19:31, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    > Jennifer Murphy <> wrote:
    >
    >> Actually, they are are fine using Dropbox to receive files from me. For
    >> that, they only need a link and they control the download. If Dropbox
    >> had the reverse option, a link where they could upload, we'd be good. I
    >> think it's a glaring hole in the Dropbox service. I check their user
    >> forum. Someone suggested just that and the response was arrogant and a
    >> little hostile. So I think Dropbox or at least some of their followers
    >> have a bit of an attitude problem.

    > Well, would you like it if anyone could stuff your Dropbox
    > account? Or sent you files with viruses or trojans? Or send
    > some child porn and tipped off the police?
    >
    > So your friends would have to authenticate themselves. Which
    > means they need an account with Dropbox. Which means they
    > might as well install Dropbox (this is in the best interest
    > of Dropbox).
    >
    > Dropbox allows you to deliver files, not to receive them;
    > this is the business model.
    >
    > Feel free to build a service that offers what you think
    > Dropbox lacks.
    >
    > -Wolfgang

    As mentioned, Dropitto.me does what the OP has requested.

    OG, Apr 17, 2013