Re: Best system components for video editing?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Solomon Kozanski, Aug 30, 2004.

  1. "Rob Beattie" <rob@/remove/ghosh.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I'm about to build a new system which I hope to be using for video
    > editing (I have just got a mini dv camcorder).
    > Does anyone have any recommendations on what components would be

    best
    > for this task?
    > I think a P4 processor with hyperthreading would be a good point to
    > start but which mainboard would be the best in terms of value for

    this
    > cpu. Also Tom's hardware suggests that dual ddr 400 is a must for P4
    > systems but I don't understand why this is so and in what way does
    > dual DDR differ from normal DDR(does it handle twice as much data?).
    > Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    PCs are not designed for full motion video, and the P4 is possibly the
    worst of all the [un]intel CPUs you could use (they lobotomized the
    barrel shifter!). if you were going to use obsolete equipment like
    'doze based peecees, i would probably recommend a thunderbird or an
    athlon XP.

    on the other hand, i would not recommend peecees for that task. what i
    would use is an iMac (or even an eMac), which has built in software
    and hardware that is more than up to the task (not to mention,
    relatively free of trouble), and with the altivec functionality of the
    G4, you'll get very decent, high quality MPEG compression, not to
    mention the obvious speed advantage of recording directly to disk
    since you're not using obsolete and inherently dangerous port mapped
    i/o schemes with drives and other devices.

    on yet another hand, if you are really serious about working with full
    motion video, nothing compares to the functionality of an Amiga.

    oh and if you simply buy an i/eMac, you wont have much in the way of
    "building" to do.
    --
    Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill

    Solomon Kozanski, Aug 30, 2004

  2. Solomon Kozanski

    BigGuy2004 Guest

    Actually, most Pro PC based linear editing suites use dual-processor mobo's
    with fast SCSI controllers and HDD's. A few years back, Amiga was making
    add on cards for PC's.

    BigGuy2004, Aug 30, 2004

  3. "BigGuy2004" <> wrote in message
    > Actually, most Pro PC based linear editing suites use dual-processor

    mobo's

    like dual p3 xeons (which are actually up to the task, ironically), or
    powermacs. the primary reason i recommended a mac is that he won't
    have much in the way of tinkering to do and the software comes with
    the system. as for peecees, if he wants a system that is up to the
    task, he'll have to either buy a high priced system from a clone
    manufacturer (which will cost more than a decent mac) or build it
    himself (which involves tinkering) to save money.

    if he doesnt mind tinkering and wants to utilize wintendo, i would
    recommend no less than the following for serious video editing:

    asus mobo w/ dual opteron 240s or higher (w/ 1024kb L3 cache each) -
    comparable to a xeon for way less money
    at least 512 megs ddr dram
    scsi 160/320 controller (otoh, SATA is looking good these days) - go
    w/ adaptec, very well supported
    a couple of them WD raptor drives
    ati radeon 9800 pro (or better yet, a fireGL) - again, very well
    supported
    'doze XP pro (64 bit edition for amd64 if its out yet - no point to
    using dualies w/o xp pro, no?)

    and as far as fast drives go, SIIG makes a board that allows you to
    use cheap IDE drives w/ a scsi controller. those would be sweet with
    one of them HD write buffer cards (provided you have the $$$)

    > with fast SCSI controllers and HDD's. A few years back, Amiga was

    making
    > add on cards for PC's.

    which originally was so that amiga users could run peecee software,
    and unfortunately, since the amiga platform has been all but abandoned
    from an engineering standpoint, peecees have surpassed the raw
    processing abilities of amigas (even a lobotomized p4 is faster than a
    cyberstorm 060-50), thus virtually requiring amiga users to switch.

    damn shame the way they wasted the amiga's potential.
    --
    Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill

    Solomon Kozanski, Aug 31, 2004