Re: Best system components for video editing?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Metric Jester, Jul 31, 2004.

  1. On 18 Mar 2004 20:13:25 -0800, (Albert Pike)
    wrote:

    >rob@/remove/ghosh.co.uk (Rob Beattie) wrote in message news:<>...
    >> I'm about to build a new system which I hope to be using for video
    >> editing (I have just got a mini dv camcorder).
    >> Does anyone have any recommendations on what components would be best
    >> for this task?

    >Get a RAID card and at least 2 high speed drives like Western Digital
    >10K RPM Raptors.

    I've had marginal experience with this and I've found that when it
    comes to video editing what you need is to find yourself a motherboard
    with the RAID capability already built in, and preferably have it use
    Serial ATA so you can actaully use those Raptors to their full
    potential. ASUS makes a couple of these but, unfortunately, these
    motherboards are usually rather expensive, and don't have a built-in
    sound card, video card, LAN or Modem. This means you're gonna need
    all the PCI Slots you can get. AGP 4x and above is a must. And you
    will have to do a lot research into HOW you want to capture your
    video. since you've got a minidv I strongly suggest you use FireWire.
    For your video card I suggest you take a good long hard look at ATI's
    website before buying, cause Radeon 9600 cards come in MANY different
    flavours, and you need at least 64MB DDR Video RAM(bare minimum use
    128MB+ please) and it needs A/V out just in case you decide to tape it
    on a VCR (blech!). If you can't use FireWire for capturing the video
    from your camcorder (cause you're a cheapskate and didn't know it'd
    save you hours and hours of fiddling with capture cards) You'll have
    to find yourself a decent video capture card (I have yet to see one
    that's the least bit easy to use) and a VERY patient technician to
    install it and the software. And your sound card is a big big BIG
    deal. Don't I repeat DON'T go out and buy the cheapest dirtiest
    little old sound card you can find. Buy a Creative Sound Blaster
    Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro. You're going to want a THX rated sound card
    so you can render THX quality sound onto that DVD you want to put your
    home movies on. That's right, you ought to get a DVD burner that can
    burn a double layer DVD (that means 8GB of info) I don't know quite
    enough about DVD burning to tell you which brand to buy (LG is usually
    cheap and reliable), but suffice it to say all your friends'll be
    jealous when they see, hear, and feel that football to the groin in
    DVD quality 5.1 speaker THX surround sound on a plasma screen ha ha ha
    ha HAAAAA!!!!(sorry got a little carried away)

    OK to recap:
    - Mother board: ASUS Serial ATA RAID, FireWire, USB 2.0, bells &
    whistles
    - Hard Drive: Raptors were suggested, 2 to 4 cheap SATA drives works
    too
    - RAM: bloody fast, ridiculously large (4 to 8GB of DDR)
    - Video card: ATI Radeon 9600 AGP(4x) with 64MB+ DDR and AV out
    - Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro (for all
    those nice inputs and outputs in the front and that handy remote)
    - DVD Burner: LG possibly that can burn double layer DVDs
    - Power supply: Redundant 300W at least to run those Raptors reliably
    - Case: Big and shiny (but that's up to you)

    And if you think all of this is just way too much for you, and seems
    expensive, well, it is. All of this plus the insanely large 21"
    screen you'd need for the high-res editing would cost around $3000 CDN
    (with taxes) from the Niagara Region/Southern Ontario. And you still
    need to find the software to edit it (Adobe Premier $700 US).

    or you could skip all of that and get a reliable, stable machine just
    like the pros use, and buy yourself a nice Mac G4 with an LCD screen
    for a measly $2000 US and have the software sent to you with the
    machine for an extra $50 US, and then all you need is to find yourself
    a mac-friendly DVD Burner (I think Apple sells them) and some more RAM
    and Hard Drives.

    (Prices are estimates, and don't include any incidentals)
    Metric Jester, Jul 31, 2004