Re: best swordfight?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by jryoidve@search26.com, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. Robert Kronitis, Dec 7, 2004

  3. "Robert Kronitis" <> wrote in message
    > Can't remember the movie, can't remember much about it at all, but it was
    > great.
    >
    > I'm probably going to get crucified for saying this, but Highlander had

    some
    > reasonably memorable swordplay.

    I won't be crucifying you. Highlander has some great swordfighting. When
    you have Bob Anderson as your swordmaster, it really couldn't be anything
    but great.

    michael wheeler, Dec 7, 2004
  4. "michael wheeler" <> wrote in message

    > "Robert Kronitis" <> wrote in message
    >> Can't remember the movie, can't remember much about it at all, but it was
    >> great.
    >>
    >> I'm probably going to get crucified for saying this, but Highlander had

    > some
    >> reasonably memorable swordplay.
    >>

    > I won't be crucifying you. Highlander has some great swordfighting. When
    > you have Bob Anderson as your swordmaster, it really couldn't be anything
    > but great.

    And Richard Bonehill as Cristopher Lambert's fight double.

    Jason

    Jason Gorringe, Dec 7, 2004
  5. In article <41b5d308$0$19163$>,
    "Jason Gorringe" <> wrote:

    > "michael wheeler" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Robert Kronitis" <> wrote in message
    > >> Can't remember the movie, can't remember much about it at all, but it was
    > >> great.
    > >>
    > >> I'm probably going to get crucified for saying this, but Highlander had

    > > some
    > >> reasonably memorable swordplay.
    > >>

    > > I won't be crucifying you. Highlander has some great swordfighting. When
    > > you have Bob Anderson as your swordmaster, it really couldn't be anything
    > > but great.
    > >

    > And Richard Bonehill as Cristopher Lambert's fight double.
    >
    > Jason

    The first fight in Princess Bride was pretty cool, too. In a different
    way, of course.

    --
    Life Continues, Despite
    Evidence to the Contrary

    Steven

    Steven J. Weller, Dec 7, 2004
  6. Mark Guest

    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:18:22 GMT, "michael wheeler"
    <> wrote:

    >"Robert Kronitis" <> wrote in message
    >> Can't remember the movie, can't remember much about it at all, but it was
    >> great.
    >>
    >> I'm probably going to get crucified for saying this, but Highlander had

    >some
    >> reasonably memorable swordplay.
    >>

    >I won't be crucifying you. Highlander has some great swordfighting. When
    >you have Bob Anderson as your swordmaster, it really couldn't be anything
    >but great.

    Highlander was good, but I really liked the swordfights in the
    Three/Four Musketeers.

    Mark, Dec 7, 2004
  7. Matt Ferrari Guest

    Raiders of the Lost Arc

    all those fancy moves.......indy pulling out a gun.........thud.....

    lol

    Thats my best one.

    Matt Ferrari, Dec 8, 2004
  8. >Raiders of the Lost Arc

    >all those fancy moves.......indy pulling out a gun.........thud.....
    >
    >lol
    >
    >Thats my best one.

    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, my personal favorite.
    Best,

    Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

    MarkZimmerman, Dec 9, 2004
  9. Guest

    > Can't remember the movie, can't remember much about it at all, but it was
    > great.
    >
    > I'm probably going to get crucified for saying this, but Highlander had
    > some reasonably memorable swordplay.
    >

    > <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.zared.com/Arts/Movies/Titles/A/Adventures_of_Don_Juan/

    Basil Rathbone as the bad guy = nice sword fights.

    I guess I can admit this with a broadminded person such as yourself! ;)

    , Dec 9, 2004
  10. MonkeyHawk Guest

    Forgive me, but I seem to remember a thread from a couple of years ago --
    maybe during "Crouching Dragon" or that Nija "3 Musketeers" movie, in which
    somone alleged that virtually *all* of Hollywood's sword fights were
    choreographed/staged/fought by students of one guy. Some guy in the valley
    who's old man taught Douglas Fairbanks and the family's been in on every
    cinema swordfight ever since.

    Maybe you have to be a fencing freak or something.

    But the point of the post was that every swashbuckling movie essentially had
    the same swordplay.

    I might be confused.

    Joe Myers
    "Swashless and unbuckled."

    MonkeyHawk, Dec 9, 2004
  11. <> wrote in message
    > http://www.zared.com/Arts/Movies/Titles/A/Adventures_of_Don_Juan/

    The Court Jester (Kaye didn't know anything about swordplay, so the
    choreographer designed a routine where he only had to make 4 moves. It was
    so intricate Basil Rathbone, one of the finest swordsmen in Hollywood,
    couldn't learn it in time. So, for the first time in any film, he had a
    double in a sword scene. Think how galling it must have been for him to see
    this comic who couldn't fight not get a double, but he did!)

    Pam or C. Wayne Owens, Dec 10, 2004
  12. Matt Guest

    Princess Bride

    I love this not just because it is a good fight, but the guys are being
    so polite to each other while fighting!

    Matt, Dec 10, 2004
  13. I'm going with either Flynn's Robin Hood or Scaramouche.

    As I recall, The Vikings had some great fight sequences too.

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Dec 10, 2004
  14. Bret81C Guest

    I like robing hood with flynn

    Bret81C, Dec 11, 2004
  15. Any of the Lone Wolf and Cub films.

    John339077353, Dec 12, 2004
  16. Mike Jackson Guest

    >> > I won't be crucifying you. Highlander has some great swordfighting.
    >> > When
    >> > you have Bob Anderson as your swordmaster, it really couldn't be
    >> > anything
    >> > but great.

    > The first fight in Princess Bride was pretty cool, too. In a different
    > way, of course.

    That's because Bob Anderson was the swordmaster :) Same goes for the fancy
    fighting in "Pirates of the Caribbean."

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com

    Mike Jackson, Dec 13, 2004
  17. Guest

    The Tyrone Power / Basil Rathbone duel in "Mark of Zorro", in my
    opinion, is about the best sword fight I've ever seen -- just for sheer
    fencing skill. It's really one of the few times I've seen two a sword
    fight and thought -- "Hey, these guys actually know what they're
    doing." No over-the-top acrobatics, no huge set pieces -- just two
    guys who actually had some real skill fighting -- and what was
    memorable about it was just how fast it was. You could barely see the
    swords, they were moving so fast -- and the final strike, when Rathbone
    is killed -- it just comes in an instant - he leaves an opening, it's a
    mis-step -- and bang, he's dead.

    NMS

    , Dec 13, 2004
  18. Kishan Guest

    What about Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Hero and what looks like to be a
    fanastic martial film in its own right "House of Flying Daggers"?

    Kishan

    Kishan, Dec 19, 2004
  19. FredBillie Guest

    << From: "Kishan"
    Date: Sun, Dec 19, 2004 4:46 AM

    >> The first fight in Princess Bride was pretty cool, too. In a different
    >> way, of course.

    > That's because Bob Anderson was the swordmaster :) Same goes for the
    > fancy fighting in "Pirates of the Caribbean."
    >
    > Mike Jackson
    > Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    > www.dvdverdict.com
    >

    >><BR><BR>

    Stewart Granger in “Scaramouche�

    FredBillie, Dec 19, 2004
  20. Mysti Berry Guest

    My husband, who taught fencing for cal state for over ten years, says:

    Scaramouch (Mel Ferrer & Stewart Granger)
    Mark of Zorro (Rathbone/Power)
    Four Muskateers (York/Lee)

    Best known currently: Princess Bride, and it is very good.

    Mysti Berry, Dec 19, 2004