Re: Best quiet SATA 7200rpm drive for RAID1

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Alien Zord, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Alien Zord

    Alien Zord Guest

    "Metaphoid" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to buy a couple of 80Gb-120Gb drives to set up in a RAID1

    array
    > on a SerialATA controller. It's obviously going to be considerably

    faster
    > than a normal IDE single drive setup, so my main concerns are

    quietness and
    > reliability. Seeing as Barracuda 4s are just about impossible to find

    out
    > here these days, what else do people recommend that will meet my

    criterial.

    > Barracuda 5s and .7 are common, as are DiamondMax Raptors, Maxtors and

    WD
    > Caviar SEs. What is likely to be my best bet from these four?

    Last June I setup a RAID0 arrays in my video server, it gave about 25%
    increase in performance compared to individual drives. Some 6 months
    later I started hearing cluttering noises from the HDD heads. Running
    chkdsk (Win2k) constantly reported errors yet surface scans revealed
    nothing. I decided that the performance increase was not worth the risk
    of loosing all the video files so I reverted back to individual drives.
    No cluttering of heads and no errors reported since. Maxtor 80GB FDB
    drives BTW. At that point I also introduced Seagate .7 120GB drives (in
    order to copy the content of the arrays) and found them to be much
    quieter (practically inaudible) and a bit faster than the Maxtors.

    Alien Zord, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Alien Zord

    Will Dormann Guest

    Alien Zord wrote:
    > Last June I setup a RAID0 arrays in my video server, it gave about 25%
    > increase in performance compared to individual drives. Some 6 months
    > later I started hearing cluttering noises from the HDD heads. Running
    > chkdsk (Win2k) constantly reported errors yet surface scans revealed
    > nothing. I decided that the performance increase was not worth the risk
    > of loosing all the video files so I reverted back to individual drives.
    > No cluttering of heads and no errors reported since. Maxtor 80GB FDB
    > drives BTW.

    I'll second that. I did the exact same thing, with the same results
    too. Maxtor 80GB FDB drives, too....

    I've currently got a single Seagate Barracuda V instead of the RAID0. I
    feel much more comfortable that way.

    -WD

    Will Dormann, Jul 11, 2003