Re: Best palce to buy a Seagate ST37500330AS at the moment?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jul 7, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> need a new backup disk...
    >>
    >> Somewhere that will honour the 5yr warrantee as well.
    >>
    >> Might consider the 1Tb unit if its a hot price....
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> thing

    > hmmm $144 for 500, $243 for 750 or $303 for 1TB.
    >
    > 750Gb looks expensive....

    The 750 has always been more expensive per GB than the 500 and the 1TB. I
    guess they sell less units, economics of scale. People either go for the
    faster 500 or the bigger 1TB. (I've corresponded with people who've bought
    500 and 1TB, never heard of anyone buying a 750. Seems almost like a
    compromise buy.)

    The 500s have gone up a bit in the last month, I haven't checked all the
    websites this week (being Monday, heh!) but anything sub~$150 from a
    reputable company is about it I think.

    As an aside... DAMN it's cold!!! I might have to sell one of my old machines
    so I can heat the house for a few weeks, my fingers are numb. 11°C at my
    desk and, even though I've turned off half the fans in my PC the HDDs are
    still running at 21 22 25 24 °C respectively. (First two are 500s, they run
    cooler than the 320s. All Seagate, SATA II.) They're running a bit cold for
    my liking but there's only one case fan running at that temp. If I turn that
    off the CPU goes up 15° and the HDDs start running in the 30s. Damned if I
    do.....

    I might try running the 12cm fan that's going at the moment on 5 or 7V. LOL,
    thinking out loud. (So to speak)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 7, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:

    >>> hmmm $144 for 500, $243 for 750 or $303 for 1TB.
    >>>
    >>> 750Gb looks expensive....

    >> The 750 has always been more expensive per GB than the 500 and the
    >> 1TB. I guess they sell less units, economics of scale. People either
    >> go for the faster 500 or the bigger 1TB. (I've corresponded with
    >> people who've bought 500 and 1TB, never heard of anyone buying a
    >> 750. Seems almost like a compromise buy.)
    >>
    >> The 500s have gone up a bit in the last month, I haven't checked all
    >> the websites this week (being Monday, heh!) but anything sub~$150
    >> from a reputable company is about it I think.
    >>
    >> As an aside... DAMN it's cold!!! I might have to sell one of my old
    >> machines so I can heat the house for a few weeks, my fingers are
    >> numb. 11°C at my desk and, even though I've turned off half the fans
    >> in my PC the HDDs are still running at 21 22 25 24 °C respectively.
    >> (First two are 500s, they run cooler than the 320s. All Seagate,
    >> SATA II.) They're running a bit cold for my liking but there's only
    >> one case fan running at that temp. If I turn that off the CPU goes
    >> up 15° and the HDDs start running in the 30s. Damned if I do.....
    >>
    >> I might try running the 12cm fan that's going at the moment on 5 or
    >> 7V. LOL, thinking out loud. (So to speak)
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > bugger its cold here but not 11!

    Just got back from the Salvation Army thrift shop with a 'new' jersey. Pak'n
    Save don't sell fingerless gloves. :-(

    > My backup drive is full so I need a disk, 500 would not last very
    > long, the 160 lasted 2 weeks...I like bacula but god it chews through
    > disk.
    > :/
    >
    > So I think its the 1Tb..$303...

    Yeah, that's a good price. Less, big disks = lower power consumption too.
    I'd like to be able to swap out my 320s for one larger disk. Might have to
    look to Trademe.... Maybe see what prices I can get and trade up my 500s for
    a 1TB too. Although I *do* like the speed of the 500s.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 7, 2008

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:

    > When I bought 2 x 750s they were cheaper per Gb than the 1TBs by a
    > long way...the 1Tbs were $400+ odd now they are $300 while the 750s
    > seem to have stuck around the $250 mark.

    Ahh, OK. I've only been looking at the prices since they've been more
    affordable. Before that I would have been only teasing myself.

    >>> bugger its cold here but not 11!

    >> Just got back from the Salvation Army thrift shop with a 'new'
    >> jersey. Pak'n Save don't sell fingerless gloves. :-(
    >>
    >>> My backup drive is full so I need a disk, 500 would not last very
    >>> long, the 160 lasted 2 weeks...I like bacula but god it chews
    >>> through disk.
    >>> :/
    >>>
    >>> So I think its the 1Tb..$303...

    >> Yeah, that's a good price. Less, big disks = lower power consumption
    >> too. I'd like to be able to swap out my 320s for one larger disk.
    >> Might have to look to Trademe.... Maybe see what prices I can get
    >> and trade up my 500s for a 1TB too. Although I *do* like the speed
    >> of the 500s.

    > for a desktop 500 seems heaps....you are going to save peanuts in
    > wattage....

    I see 15 - 25W per 7,200 rpm desktop disc quoted often.

    I'm turning down the termostat on my tropical fish tank daily at the moment,
    watching to see that none of the pets are stressed, trying to save every
    cent.

    > Id stick to the 500s for speed myself...

    Hell yeah.

    > My existing machine
    > has a 320....seems to be getting slower and noisier, but I think thats
    > just XP doing its usual Windows trick....

    I always only give XP a 5GB partition to itself (and AV) and defrag it
    (PerfectDisk) often. Also, just after install and update I image it to a
    seperate partition and a DVD +/- R using Acronis True Image. No more
    re-installs from scratch and, being limited to 5 GB seems to keep XP under
    control nicely too. It can't go throwing files all over the place. (If I'm
    running a swapfile I set a fixed size contigous one on another partition.)

    Also, most of the Seagate 320 GB 7200.10 HDDs we got in NZ have the infamous
    AAK firmware. It's supposedly optimised for fast read/write of small,
    scattered files and has a terrible sequential read figure. (~50 MB/sec
    compared with the same drive with other firmware starting at ~95 MB/sec)....
    Which shouldn't make a difference to your case anyway.

    > time for a re-install
    > soon..

    I'm not sure but doesn't the cut-down version of Acronis True Image that
    Seagate have licenced for use free with their discs (Seagate DiskWizard)
    also allow the option of making a disc image? Might be worth going the
    'small OS partition" route...

    >not going to upgrade it I really dont think its worth it...Id
    > put the $150 to a new video card.
    >
    > :/

    Hmmm. For now my GPU is doing all I need. However, Diablo III was announced
    last week....

    > Kinda wondering what Seagate will do to replace/upgrade the 500, its a
    > hell of a OS disk for the money....reading the US sites I'm p*ssed
    > that disks and GPUs seem so cheap....

    See my comment about the Tom's article you referenced in another thread.
    They're using a 7200.10 rather than a 7200.11. Are you comparing apples with
    apples?

    >here we are earning less that a
    > Yank but paying more for $. A 500 I see at <$80US..../0.75 = $106NZ v
    > $144NZ here...
    > Having small disks isnt all bad, If you do a R5 of 3 x 500s v 2 x 1TB
    > (in a R1) that's $450 v $600 for an effective 1TB....or R5(3+1) =
    > 1.5TB raided for the same cost as 2 x 1TB disks....

    I've never used RAID (other than playing with some small SCSI discs once).
    However, already having this ICH9R and two of these awesome Seagate 500s I
    suppose that it's something I should seriously consider. If I could afford
    another one, LOL. I'd never go RAID 0 as it's double the points of failure
    (Hehee!) and my data doesn't require RAID 1. However, RAID 5 sounds
    tempting. Too bad I'm broke as hell for the foreseeable future.

    Ehhh, it seems odd talking about computers in nz.comp. <g>

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 7, 2008