Re: Best freeware to create a DVD image on disk directly from JPG, AVI, & MP3 files

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by M.L., Feb 16, 2010.

  1. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >I'm interested in using as few programs as possible on Windows XP to
    >combine home video (avi), pictures (jpg), and background music (mp3) files
    >into a DVD compilation on the hard drive (video_ts folders).
    >What's the best freeware for creating DVD images on disk?
    >The best freeware I've found so far is Photostage Slideshow Producer
    >But NCH Software's PhotoStage Slideshow Producer can't create DVD images on
    >the hard drive so an external post processing step is required to convert
    >the AVI to DVD.

    >Is there ANY freeware program that will create a DVD image on disk from
    >JPGs, AVIs, and MP3s (suitable for burning to a DVD to play in almost any
    >DVD player)?

    DVD slideshow GUI (not recommended) and Foto2Avi are multimedia
    slideshow apps that can directly output a VIDEO_TS compilation. BTW,
    PhotoStage claims the capability to burn output directly to a DVD

    Why make PhotoStage output to AVI instead of a DVD-compliant MPEG2
    file? Authoring a DVD-compliant MPEG2 to a VIDEO_TS compilation will
    take much less time than reencoding an AVI to a VIDEO_TS compilation.
    If you prefer using PhotoStage and don't need menus, chapters or
    subtitles, 007 DVD Author Free can quickly author a DVD-compliant
    MPEG2 from PhotoStage to a VIDEO_TS compilation.

    007 DVD Author Free
    Pros: No reencoding of DVD-compliant MPEG2 files, preserves AC3 5.1
    channel audio
    Cons: Registerware, no DVD menus, chapter or subtitle support
    Input: MPEG2
    Output: VOB(VIDEO_TS folder)
    OS: Win NT/95/98/ME/2000/XP/2003/Vista

    Pros: Effects/filters, supports photos and videos, can output Avisynth
    script for video export via other AVS compatible apps
    Input: Video(AVI, FLV, MOV, MPEG1, MPEG2, WMV/ASF), Audio(MP3, OGG,
    WAV), Photos(BMP, JPG, PNG)
    Output: AVI (uncompressed), FLV, MP4(IPOD,PSP,ZUNE), MPEG1, MPEG2,
    VOB(VIDEO_TS folder)
    OS: Win 2000/XP/Vista

    DVD slideshow GUI
    Pros: Effects/Filters, supports photos and videos
    Cons: Difficult to use
    Input: Video(AVI, AVS), Audio(MP3, WAV), Photos(BMP, JPG, PNG)
    Output: AVI, FLV, VOB(VIDEO_TS folder)
    OS: Win 2000/XP/2003/Vista
    M.L., Feb 16, 2010