Re: best free usenet access

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Doe, Sep 16, 2009.

  1. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <4ab01c81$>, says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a good way to get real usenet access? Preferably
    > free and preferably with an nntp interface, so I can connect to it from
    > my usenet client and not through a web interface.

    I'll vote w' Shaun's recommendation. Good selection of groups (lemme
    check... 31,111 according to my client (MicroPlanet Gravity) - all text
    based groups (no binaries)).

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Sep 16, 2009

  2. In article <-september.org>,
    says...

    > In article <4ab01c81$>, says...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Can anyone recommend a good way to get real usenet access? Preferably
    > > free and preferably with an nntp interface, so I can connect to it from
    > > my usenet client and not through a web interface.

    > I'll vote w' Shaun's recommendation. Good selection of groups (lemme
    > check... 31,111 according to my client (MicroPlanet Gravity) - all text
    > based groups (no binaries)).

    Talking of which: I just installed Gravity 2.9 alongside my old install
    of 2.6 --- speed is much improved! Unfortunately it still only uses a
    single connection to the newsserver, but this version is much more
    responsive regardless.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Sep 16, 2009