Re: best free usenet access

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bruce Sinclair, Sep 16, 2009.

  1. In article <h8paoc$qdp$-september.org>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs vitw wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend a good way to get real usenet access? Preferably
    >> free and preferably with an nntp interface, so I can connect to it
    >> from my usenet client and not through a web interface.

    >
    >I use a free service from Eternal September (previously called Motzarella).
    >
    >http://www.eternal-september.org/
    >
    >I find them reliable and worth far more than they cost. :)


    Check out also
    reader.news4all.se
    aioe

    And there's no such thing as a web interface news reader. It's all down to
    definitions. :) :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 16, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Bruce Sinclair

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs vitw wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a good way to get real usenet access? Preferably
    > free and preferably with an nntp interface, so I can connect to it
    > from my usenet client and not through a web interface.


    I use a free service from Eternal September (previously called Motzarella).

    http://www.eternal-september.org/

    I find them reliable and worth far more than they cost. :)
    --
    Shaun.

    "Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's
    warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.
    ~misfit~, Sep 16, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Bruce Sinclair

    Mike Dee Guest

    vitw wrote:

    > On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 23:28:32 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >
    >> And there's no such thing as a web interface news reader. It's all down
    >> to definitions. :) :)

    >
    > What I'm defining as a 'web interface news reader' is a web-based user
    > interface that allows one to read and submit usenet posts, ostensibly
    > through a server-side application that talks nntp to some usenet server.


    You appear to be using Pan (a nntp only reader) to post through Giganews
    via orcon. So I'm not sure what you mean, still.

    Register with any of the already mentioned services in this thread and use
    Pan or any newsreader to post/read to them.

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Sep 16, 2009
    #3
  4. In article <>, vitw <> wrote:
    >On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 23:28:32 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >
    >> And there's no such thing as a web interface news reader. It's all down
    >> to definitions. :) :)

    >
    >What I'm defining as a 'web interface news reader' is a web-based user
    >interface that allows one to read and submit usenet posts, ostensibly
    >through a server-side application that talks nntp to some usenet server.


    What I'm suggesting is that they are universally awful. :) :)
    Once you've used 'real' news, you'll never go back. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 16, 2009
    #4
  5. Bruce Sinclair

    Mike Dee Guest

    vitw wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 04:09:22 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >
    >>>> And there's no such thing as a web interface news reader. It's all
    >>>> down to definitions. :) :)
    >>>
    >>>What I'm defining as a 'web interface news reader' is a web-based user
    >>>interface that allows one to read and submit usenet posts, ostensibly
    >>>through a server-side application that talks nntp to some usenet server.

    >>
    >> What I'm suggesting is that they are universally awful. :) :) Once
    >> you've used 'real' news, you'll never go back. :)

    >
    > I'm not sure why people are thinking I *prefer* a web-based reader. My OP
    > said that I *don't* want one.
    >
    > And yes, I've been using real nntp clients for nearly 20 years (before
    > the web even existed!) I'd never use a web-based news client if I could
    > avoid it.


    Still unsure what you mean. That is:

    In your OP you asked: "Can anyone recommend a good way to get real usenet
    access? Preferably free and preferably with an nntp interface, so I can
    connect to it from my usenet client and not through a web interface."

    Yet your headers report that you're using Pan, a free OSS (NNTP only)
    news-client, posting through a Giganews feed via news.orcon.net.nz. Pan
    doesn't do http web access AFAIK.

    If what you want is a free usenet server to post/read through? If so, some
    were already mentioned in this thread.

    I'm posting this response using Pan (free) and via Solani.org's NNTP
    server on port 119 (news.solani.org - also free). So I'm having difficulty
    in understanding what it is you actually mean by "real usenet access"
    (because of how you are currently generating your posts).

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Sep 16, 2009
    #5
  6. Bruce Sinclair

    Mike Dee Guest

    vitw wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 16:31:51 +1000, Mike Dee wrote:
    >
    >> Still unsure what you mean

    >
    > You're still misreading me.
    >
    > Mike, methinks you've been at your keyboard too long. Time to go for a
    > nice walk through the spring night air and clear your head.


    Just trying to understand, that is all. Still something that you haven't
    actually explained, I think.

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Sep 16, 2009
    #6
  7. In article <4ab07c46$>, vitw <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 04:09:22 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >
    >>>> And there's no such thing as a web interface news reader. It's all
    >>>> down to definitions. :) :)
    >>>
    >>>What I'm defining as a 'web interface news reader' is a web-based user
    >>>interface that allows one to read and submit usenet posts, ostensibly
    >>>through a server-side application that talks nntp to some usenet server.

    >>
    >> What I'm suggesting is that they are universally awful. :) :) Once
    >> you've used 'real' news, you'll never go back. :)

    >
    >I'm not sure why people are thinking I *prefer* a web-based reader. My OP
    >said that I *don't* want one.


    Apologies. :)

    >And yes, I've been using real nntp clients for nearly 20 years (before
    >the web even existed!) I'd never use a web-based news client if I could
    >avoid it.


    I won't use news if a 'web interface' is all that's available. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 16, 2009
    #7
  8. In article <4ab0a3c8$>, vitw <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 20:27:34 +1200, Crash wrote:
    >
    >> I suspect the OP meant that he wished to continue using an nntp client
    >> and that accessing Usenet through a browser interface was not considered
    >> desirable alternative.

    >
    >That's exactly what I meant


    I can see how the original can be rad like that. Wasn't clear to me ... my
    apologies. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 16, 2009
    #8
  9. Bruce Sinclair

    Woger Guest

    On 16 Sep 2009 18:50:52 +1200, vitw <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 16:31:51 +1000, Mike Dee wrote:
    >
    >> Still unsure what you mean

    >
    >You're still misreading me.
    >
    >Mike, methinks you've been at your keyboard too long. Time to go for a
    >nice walk through the spring night air and clear your head.




    And fill it full of polluting chimneys, no way at all to clear ones head
    around here.
    Woger, Sep 17, 2009
    #9
  10. In article <>, Crash <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 22:57:30 GMT,
    > (Bruce Sinclair)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In article <4ab0a3c8$>, vitw <> wrote:
    >>>On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 20:27:34 +1200, Crash wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I suspect the OP meant that he wished to continue using an nntp client
    >>>> and that accessing Usenet through a browser interface was not considered
    >>>> desirable alternative.
    >>>
    >>>That's exactly what I meant

    >>
    >>I can see how the original can be rad like that. Wasn't clear to me ... my
    >>apologies. :)

    >
    >I'm sure I typed an 'a' between 'considered' and 'desirable'. Usenet
    >must have lost it ;-)


    ... must be with my "e" then. :) :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 21, 2009
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. mg39

    Newbie Question: Free Usenet Access?

    mg39, Jul 11, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    715
    Unknown
    Jul 12, 2004
  2. AKT
    Replies:
    52
    Views:
    3,736
    Kalman Rubinson
    Sep 2, 2009
  3. Dave Doe

    Re: best free usenet access

    Dave Doe, Sep 16, 2009, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    486
    Peter Huebner
    Sep 16, 2009
  4. Mike Easter

    Re: Usenet abuse (addressed to Usenet admins)

    Mike Easter, Jan 17, 2010, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    589
    VanguardLH
    Jan 18, 2010
  5. Tony
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    593
Loading...

Share This Page