Re: Best Buy The Worst Buy For Consumers

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by robert sims, Aug 18, 2003.

  1. robert sims

    robert sims Guest

    Commission or no commission and/or getting the best sales help is really not
    what most of us in this group are concerned with. For the average shopper,
    perhaps, but I place most of the folks in this group at least as
    knowledgeable and generally more so. I don't need the sales pitch from
    anyone- I go shopping knowing what I want (having already done my homework).
    I am looking for the best price and the best return policy. This is where
    Best Buy is sorely lacking. Their price matching policies are draconian
    (bring in a printed store flyer for them to match-- my God, somebody tell
    them this is the Internet age), and their return policy is basically the
    pitts. (Restocking fee unless defective- no wonder everything comes back
    "defective"). The biggest joke going is that the Best Buy stores DO NOT
    MATCH their own online prices--- if you go the Circuit City, the will bring
    up the Best Buy website and match the price-- it's the biggest laugh going
    in retail sales right now.

    "Arthur Entlich" <> wrote in message
    > Well, I'm not sure about that. I never like going to stores with
    > commission sales help. I get greeted by 10 salespeople all drooling to
    > "help" me out of my money. They will sell me whatever they think will
    > make them the best "points" on the sale, and they "don't know me" after
    > I leave the store. The turn over rate is very high because the
    > salespeople who are truthful often make lower sales and can't afford to
    > remain.
    >

    > Art
    >
    > Doug wrote:
    >
    > > Thr folks at BB aren't on commission, that's why you can't get any

    help.....

    robert sims, Aug 18, 2003

  2. robert sims

    JK Guest

    robert sims wrote:

    > Commission or no commission and/or getting the best sales help is really not
    > what most of us in this group are concerned with. For the average shopper,
    > perhaps, but I place most of the folks in this group at least as
    > knowledgeable and generally more so. I don't need the sales pitch from
    > anyone- I go shopping knowing what I want (having already done my homework).
    > I am looking for the best price and the best return policy.

    Why do you need a good return policy if you know what you want? Even
    stores with poor return policies will replace a defective unit with another
    of the same model within a week. Since you know what you want, you
    would have no reason to return it if it is not defective.

    > This is where
    > Best Buy is sorely lacking. Their price matching policies are draconian
    > (bring in a printed store flyer for them to match--

    With many manufacturer's using MAP agreements, one will not find
    low advertised prices for many items.

    > my God, somebody tell
    > them this is the Internet age), and their return policy is basically the
    > pitts. (Restocking fee unless defective- no wonder everything comes back
    > "defective"). The biggest joke going is that the Best Buy stores DO NOT
    > MATCH their own online prices--- if you go the Circuit City, the will bring
    > up the Best Buy website and match the price-- it's the biggest laugh going
    > in retail sales right now.

    Best Buy is the one that is laughing. They are doing very well now.

    http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/030807/retail_bestbuy_outlook_3.html

    Circuit City is under pressure now.

    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/yho...o&guid={C0540166-E0A0-42CB-B9DE-96B0930DB299}

    JK, Aug 18, 2003

  3. robert sims

    JK Guest

    robert sims wrote:

    > Commission or no commission and/or getting the best sales help is really not
    > what most of us in this group are concerned with. For the average shopper,
    > perhaps, but I place most of the folks in this group at least as
    > knowledgeable and generally more so. I don't need the sales pitch from
    > anyone- I go shopping knowing what I want (having already done my homework).
    > I am looking for the best price and the best return policy.

    From a link in my previous response:

    "Best Buy, which has consistently outperformed its closest rival, Circuit City
    Stores Inc. (NYSE:CC - News), said gross margins improved as sales staff cut
    down on product exchanges and returns."

    JK, Aug 20, 2003
  4. robert sims

    gilbert Guest

    "Gavyn" <> wrote in message
    > "robert sims" <> wrote in message
    > : Commission or no commission and/or getting the best sales help is really
    > not
    > : what most of us in this group are concerned with. For the average
    > shopper,
    > : perhaps, but I place most of the folks in this group at least as
    > : knowledgeable and generally more so. I don't need the sales pitch from
    > : anyone- I go shopping knowing what I want (having already done my
    > homework).
    > : I am looking for the best price and the best return policy. This is

    where
    > : Best Buy is sorely lacking. Their price matching policies are draconian
    > : (bring in a printed store flyer for them to match-- my God, somebody

    tell
    > : them this is the Internet age), and their return policy is basically the
    > : pitts. (Restocking fee unless defective- no wonder everything comes

    back
    > : "defective"). The biggest joke going is that the Best Buy stores DO

    NOT
    > : MATCH their own online prices--- if you go the Circuit City, the will
    > bring
    > : up the Best Buy website and match the price-- it's the biggest laugh

    going
    > : in retail sales right now.
    > :
    > :
    > : "Arthur Entlich" <> wrote in message
    > : news:b4K%a.752545$...
    > : > Well, I'm not sure about that. I never like going to stores with
    > : > commission sales help. I get greeted by 10 salespeople all drooling

    > : > "help" me out of my money. They will sell me whatever they think will
    > : > make them the best "points" on the sale, and they "don't know me"

    after
    > : > I leave the store. The turn over rate is very high because the
    > : > salespeople who are truthful often make lower sales and can't afford

    > : > remain.
    > : >
    > : >
    > : > Art
    > : >
    > : > Doug wrote:
    > : >
    > : > > Thr folks at BB aren't on commission, that's why you can't get any
    > : help.....
    > : > > they get paid whether you buy something or not.
    > : > > "peter" <> wrote in message
    > : > > news:BGg%a.4879$...
    > : > >
    > : >
    > :
    > :
    > :
    >
    > I used to work for Best Buy. I could go on and on about the horrors and
    > dishonesty of what goes on behind the scenes there. I definitely

    recommend
    > people shop elsewhere.
    >
    > It is true that employees are not paid on commission, but they are
    > constantly driven to sell what is called the "PSP", or the "Performance
    > Service Plan", on equipment that it applies to. Their performance is

    rated
    > on how many they sell and there is quite of bit of training on how to talk
    > someone into it. If they go a month or so without selling to money, it's
    > the pink slip for them.
    >
    > So even though they do not work on commission, there is still an impetus

    > sell sell sell that PSP at all costs. By the way, when it comes time to
    > service a unit with that PSP (I worked as a tech in the service center),

    you

    gilbert, Aug 20, 2003
  5. robert sims

    JIM Guest

    "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    > That's what I hate most about going to a place like Best Buy or Circus

    City.
    > In just about any department of the store I walk into, I'll know more

    about
    > their products than the salespeople.

    .....<cut>....

    You're confusing 'honest labor' with 'knowledgeable laborer. If your
    knowledge is vastly superior to any sales clerk, you should not even need to
    ask where the model you want to purchase is located. Run in, pick the thing
    up and run out, preferably paying before leaving and thanking your lucky
    stars that you don't have to work there. Most sales people are just burned
    out with any attempt to keep up with the miriad changes involved in the
    digital experience. They don't care what you want, they just want to sell
    you what you want or anything - making you a smarter or more informed buyer
    isn't in their job description........might also consider that a nose turned
    up too high invites drowning.

    Shoot'em up, buy anywhere, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and all the rest will love you
    for it!!

    jim

    JIM, Aug 20, 2003