Re: "Best Buy Fraud" email scam

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by cleaner, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. cleaner

    cleaner Guest

    I recvd the same thing. I went to the lead page and looked around. Didn't
    put any info out. I checked the headers of the original e-mail and it was
    coming from a hacked earthlink account. Earthlink denied everything. (as
    usual) A couple days later I recvd a real e-mail from best buy saying they
    were aware of the scam. I can only imagine how many people filled out the
    personal info and gave up their identity..... SS#, credit card #, DOB.
    etc.....
    My motto is; trust no one
    "NetItRight - Evan" <e#v!a_n?f@n~e^t&i*t(r)i!g{h}t.com> wrote in message
    > Has anyone gotten an email similar to the one below. The email, and

    landing
    > page are extremely convincing.:
    >

    > <<<<EMAIL>>>>
    >
    > Dear customer,
    >
    > Recently we have received an order made by using your personal credit card
    > information.
    > This order was made online at our official BestBuy website on 06/17/2003.
    > Our Fraud Department has some suspicions regarding this order and we need
    > you to visit a special Fraud Department page at our web store where you

    can
    > confirm or decline this transaction by providing us with the correct
    > information.
    > This e-mail address has been taken from National Credit Bureau.
    >
    > Click the link below to visit a special Fraud Department page to resolve

    the
    > cause of the problem.
    > http://www.BestBuy.com/fraud_department.html

    > ORDER# 1095619 - STATUS: SUSPENDED
    >
    > ITEMS PURCHASED
    > Item No: 73890
    > CDA-9815 In-Dash CD Player/Ai-Changer Controller
    > Price: $387.65 Qty: 2 Total: $775.3

    > ------------------------
    > The order listed above has not yet been processed.
    > The reason for the delay in processing your order is:
    >
    > - UNVERIFIED SHIPPING ADDRESS
    >
    > - Information provided:
    > Shipping
    > 41 WINHAM ST
    > Staten Island, NY 10306
    > United States
    > phone# 206-337-9843
    >
    > In our effort to deter fraudulent transactions, we need your help in
    > providing us with the correct information. Your prompt response is needed

    > avoid any unauthorized charges to your credit card.
    > Click the link below to visit a special Fraud Department page to resolve

    the
    > cause of the problem.
    > http://www.BestBuy.com/fraud_department.html
    >
    > <<<<END EMAIL>>>>
    >
    > The scam is simple, but I think could be very effective. Yesterday I got
    > this email. The link wasn't to BestBuy.com, but to
    > http://www.digitalgamma.com/fraud.html. When you go to the link, you are

    on
    > a page that looks exactly like the BestBuy site, and asks for information

    > prove that you either approve (yeah, right!) or disapprove the transaction
    > mentioned. I didn't proceed any further than the landing page because I

    was
    > sure to be asked for personal information. I haven't seen this one in
    > particular, but I would suspect that there were/are a lot of people

    falling
    > for this. Another associate of mine got the same email overnight that

    went
    > to somewhere like instantcredit.com. Being that I personally know two
    > people who have gotten the email, I suspect it's probably pretty

    widespread
    > now. i couldn't find anything in any Google searches related, but I

    coulda

    cleaner, Jun 26, 2003