Re: Best advice for those wanting iPad

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Stuffed Crust, Apr 9, 2010.

  1. In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems C J Campbell <> wrote:
    > They are introducing multitasking this fall. And if you really need an
    > old-fashioned, obsolete USB port because your IT team is still stuck in
    > the 20th century, you can have one.


    Yeah, because nobody would EVER need to attach a peripheral to an iPad.

    USB is used for more than bulk storage and network connectivity.

    Oh, and the OS4 "multitasking" isn't; it's more accurate to call it
    "background services".

    - Solomon
    --
    Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet dot org
    Melbourne, FL ^^ (mail/jabber/gtalk) ^^
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
     
    Stuffed Crust, Apr 9, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Stuffed Crust

    SMS Guest

    On 09/04/10 8:04 AM, Stuffed Crust wrote:
    > In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems C J Campbell<> wrote:
    >> They are introducing multitasking this fall. And if you really need an
    >> old-fashioned, obsolete USB port because your IT team is still stuck in
    >> the 20th century, you can have one.

    >
    > Yeah, because nobody would EVER need to attach a peripheral to an iPad.
    >
    > USB is used for more than bulk storage and network connectivity.
    >
    > Oh, and the OS4 "multitasking" isn't; it's more accurate to call it
    > "background services".


    The iPad is what's called an MCD in industry circles, a media
    consumption device. Nothing wrong with that of course, but what it can't
    be, because of the hardware limitations, is a general purpose platform
    used for all the applications that a regular tablet PC is used for.

    The market for MCDs is far greater than the market for tablet computers,
    so Apple will sell a gazillion iPads. They're going to become a very
    popular gaming device and movie player for kids, and a popular web pad
    for adults. The processor is fast enough for these applications, but
    still low power enough for the device to have excellent battery life,
    something you can't get on a full featured tablet computer.

    The HP Slate has some advantages and some disadvantages compared to the
    iPad. Because of its more powerful processor, battery life is half of
    the iPad, yet because it's running Windows, performance will likely be
    worse than the iPad despite the more powerful processor. On the plus
    side, it can play 1080p HD video, it has two cameras (the iPad has
    none), and it has a built in SD card reader and built in video out
    (extra cost options with a kludgy dongle on the iPad). It has 4 times
    the amount of user accessible SDRAM (1GB versus 256MB on the iPad). Not
    sure about 3G, it may require an external USB 3G dongle.

    Of course one big disadvantage of the HP Slate is that there apparently
    won't be any $30/month unlimited 3G service. Since the Slate is a full
    featured product running standard browsers that support Flash, there is
    no way any carrier is going to give HP the same kind of sweet deal that
    Apple got.

    I would wager that the HP Slate is not going to be successful with
    consumers, but will gain a following among techies using it for vertical
    applications. General purpose tablet computers have only gained a
    following in vertical market applications. You can buy a thin and light
    computer with a more powerful processor for about the same price of an
    HP Slate. For gaming, you're better off with a larger screen and a game
    controller than a touch screen. For general purpose use you want a real
    keyboard.

    And of course HP does not have Apple's marketing capability. There are
    no HP stores, a much poorer support infrastructure, and no HP fanbois.
     
    SMS, Apr 9, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems C J Campbell <> wrote:
    > It is really funny. This is like the people who keep insisting that OS
    > X does not support true 64 bit processing. It is the old "moving the
    > goal posts" fallacy. Apple adds multitasking, then say it is not "true"
    > multitasking.


    Yes, OSX didn't support native 64-bit processing in userspace until Snow
    Leopoard's release. Apple trumpeted this as one of its big new features.
    (See http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/#sixtyfourbit)

    > Note that these critics will never tell you what "true" multitasking
    > is, either. After all, people might hold the devices and operating
    > systems they say are better to the same standards. That would never do.


    Okay, do you really want to know? The explanation is going to be
    technical and boring, and in the end, you'll probably just counter with
    "so what, it looks the same to the user?"

    > It appears that the main reason Apple is not supporting Flash on the
    > iPad is that Flash interferes with multitasking. Apple's multitasking
    > is implemented in seven APIs. Fast Switching allows apps to be frozen


    Eh, that's bullshit. A much more poignant reason is that most flash
    stuff is designed for mouse interation (especially "hovering") and as
    such simply won't work with a touch interface.

    > It seems to me that when people say that the iPad and iPhone do not
    > have true multitasking then what they really mean is that the iPad and
    > iPhone do not have a crappy, poorly implemented, battery draining form
    > of multitasking like they are used to.


    You do realize you're just "moved the goalposts" by redefining what
    "multitasking" is to suit your argument?

    > There is absolutely nothing that stops Adobe from developing a version
    > of Flash that would meet the needs of the iPhone/iPad API. Yet Adobe
    > does not do this. That is certainly not Apple's fault.


    See section 3.3.1 of the "proposed" OS4 SDK license. Adobe is
    dissallowed from writing a version of Flash without special dispensation
    from Apple, and even then, anyone wanting to actually use Flash would
    also have to get special dispensation.

    - Solomon
    --
    Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet dot org
    Melbourne, FL ^^ (mail/jabber/gtalk) ^^
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
     
    Stuffed Crust, Apr 10, 2010
    #3
  4. Stuffed Crust

    nospam Guest

    In article <4bc07d94$0$4971$>,
    Stuffed Crust <> wrote:

    > > It is really funny. This is like the people who keep insisting that OS
    > > X does not support true 64 bit processing. It is the old "moving the
    > > goal posts" fallacy. Apple adds multitasking, then say it is not "true"
    > > multitasking.

    >
    > Yes, OSX didn't support native 64-bit processing in userspace until Snow
    > Leopoard's release. Apple trumpeted this as one of its big new features.
    > (See http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/#sixtyfourbit)


    nonsense. os x has supported 64 bit user space since tiger, 5 years
    ago. i think mathematica was 64 bit in tiger, among a few others. your
    link even says so: "Earlier versions of Mac OS X have offered a range
    of 64-bit capabilities."

    snow leopard is the first version that has a 64 bit kernel, making it
    *completely* 64 bit, but that is not necessary for a user space app
    unless you need more than 32 gigs of memory. very few people need the
    64 bit kernel since there aren't many 64 bit drivers (yet).

    > > It appears that the main reason Apple is not supporting Flash on the
    > > iPad is that Flash interferes with multitasking. Apple's multitasking
    > > is implemented in seven APIs. Fast Switching allows apps to be frozen

    >
    > Eh, that's bullshit. A much more poignant reason is that most flash
    > stuff is designed for mouse interation (especially "hovering") and as
    > such simply won't work with a touch interface.


    true, as well as being proprietary and a battery hog.

    > > It seems to me that when people say that the iPad and iPhone do not
    > > have true multitasking then what they really mean is that the iPad and
    > > iPhone do not have a crappy, poorly implemented, battery draining form
    > > of multitasking like they are used to.

    >
    > You do realize you're just "moved the goalposts" by redefining what
    > "multitasking" is to suit your argument?


    he didn't.

    > > There is absolutely nothing that stops Adobe from developing a version
    > > of Flash that would meet the needs of the iPhone/iPad API. Yet Adobe
    > > does not do this. That is certainly not Apple's fault.

    >
    > See section 3.3.1 of the "proposed" OS4 SDK license. Adobe is
    > dissallowed from writing a version of Flash without special dispensation
    > from Apple, and even then, anyone wanting to actually use Flash would
    > also have to get special dispensation.


    actually, that part isn't why.
     
    nospam, Apr 10, 2010
    #4
  5. Stuffed Crust

    J. Clarke Guest

    On 4/10/2010 9:31 AM, Stuffed Crust wrote:
    > In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems C J Campbell<> wrote:
    >> It is really funny. This is like the people who keep insisting that OS
    >> X does not support true 64 bit processing. It is the old "moving the
    >> goal posts" fallacy. Apple adds multitasking, then say it is not "true"
    >> multitasking.

    >
    > Yes, OSX didn't support native 64-bit processing in userspace until Snow
    > Leopoard's release. Apple trumpeted this as one of its big new features.
    > (See http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/#sixtyfourbit)
    >
    >> Note that these critics will never tell you what "true" multitasking
    >> is, either. After all, people might hold the devices and operating
    >> systems they say are better to the same standards. That would never do.

    >
    > Okay, do you really want to know? The explanation is going to be
    > technical and boring, and in the end, you'll probably just counter with
    > "so what, it looks the same to the user?"
    >
    >> It appears that the main reason Apple is not supporting Flash on the
    >> iPad is that Flash interferes with multitasking. Apple's multitasking
    >> is implemented in seven APIs. Fast Switching allows apps to be frozen

    >
    > Eh, that's bullshit. A much more poignant reason is that most flash
    > stuff is designed for mouse interation (especially "hovering") and as
    > such simply won't work with a touch interface.


    Seven APIs? What did they do, dust off pre OS/X MacOS? Geez, talk
    about a giant leap backward . . .
    >
    >> It seems to me that when people say that the iPad and iPhone do not
    >> have true multitasking then what they really mean is that the iPad and
    >> iPhone do not have a crappy, poorly implemented, battery draining form
    >> of multitasking like they are used to.

    >
    > You do realize you're just "moved the goalposts" by redefining what
    > "multitasking" is to suit your argument?
    >
    >> There is absolutely nothing that stops Adobe from developing a version
    >> of Flash that would meet the needs of the iPhone/iPad API. Yet Adobe
    >> does not do this. That is certainly not Apple's fault.

    >
    > See section 3.3.1 of the "proposed" OS4 SDK license. Adobe is
    > dissallowed from writing a version of Flash without special dispensation
    > from Apple, and even then, anyone wanting to actually use Flash would
    > also have to get special dispensation.
    >
    > - Solomon
     
    J. Clarke, Apr 10, 2010
    #5
  6. Stuffed Crust

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Stuffed Crust <> wrote:
    >C J Campbell <> wrote:


    >> It is really funny. This is like the people who keep insisting that OS
    >> X does not support true 64 bit processing. It is the old "moving the
    >> goal posts" fallacy. Apple adds multitasking, then say it is not "true"
    >> multitasking.

    >
    >Yes, OSX didn't support native 64-bit processing in userspace until Snow
    >Leopoard's release. Apple trumpeted this as one of its big new features.
    >(See http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/#sixtyfourbit)


    You didn't read that carefully enough.

    They say that specific applications have been made 64-bit, not that
    the OS was changed.

    --
    Ray Fischer
     
    Ray Fischer, Apr 10, 2010
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgUm9kcmlndWV6?=

    RE: Wanting Certification-Where to start

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgUm9kcmlndWV6?=, Mar 26, 2006, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    479
    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgUm9kcmlndWV6?=
    Mar 26, 2006
  2. Ura
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    537
    paul123
    Jan 16, 2006
  3. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,446
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
  4. RichA

    Best advice for those wanting iPad

    RichA, Apr 9, 2010, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    156
    Views:
    2,842
    whisky-dave
    Apr 28, 2010
  5. brntkobe1
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    658
    brntkobe1
    Jun 9, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page