Re: Behold the Bounty of Bs!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by otter, Oct 12, 2011.

  1. otter

    otter Guest

    On Oct 10, 2:55 pm, Bowser <> wrote:
    > At last, a bodacious bounty of beauties to behold, simply by clicking
    > this link:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_b
    >
    > For those of you unfamiliar with the Shoot-In, please visit the rulz
    > page, located here:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
    >
    > The shootin is a collection of shots from participants that's held (sort
    > of) monthly. We offer NO prizes! None! Just, hopefully, some thoughtful
    > critiques from the participants of this newsgroup.
    >
    > Our next mandate, due on November 13th, 2011, is Haute/Hate Couture.
    > High fashion, low fashion, no fashion, it's all good here.

    Not quite up to the standard of last month, but some good shots.

    Wall-worthy:
    Tony's Buddha: I don't usually like pictures of someone else's art,
    but this worked well. Nice colors. Not sure how much of that was
    original and how much photoshop, but it doesn't matter, I like it. I
    could see it on a wall.

    Duck's Barn: I think I've seen this before, or something very like it
    - but it is still good. You could frame and hang it.

    Martha's Bum. (not THAT bum - keep your mind out of the gutter). One
    ot the better shots from Martha. Good job. I could see it go on her
    wall (not mine).

    Other comments:
    Bob's Bird: I think you need a longer telephoto. Same comment for the
    Boat.

    Martha's Bike: I'm torn between liking this on one hand, because it
    seems like something deeply symbolic, and on the other hand not liking
    it because it looks like just a snapshot of a bike. I guess I will
    like it and hope it will redeem my soul.

    Dudley's Baloon blowing up: one of your better shots. I like it.

    Frank's Bee Blossom: I like the back-lit flower petals, and the
    details of the interior of the flower. Nice.

    Duck's Ball & Bath: I like the colors and composition. I take it the
    ball is part of some kind of artificial arrangement. The plants next
    to it too? Looks nice.

    Peachy Baby: I wish it had more "pop" to it, but how can you resist an
    expression like that?

    PeterN Baboon: There is something very disturbing about that picture
    to me.

    No judgements on the other pictures, these are just the ones I had
    comments about.
    otter, Oct 12, 2011

  2. otter

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 19:04:35 -0700 (PDT), otter
    <> wrote:

    >Wall-worthy:
    >Tony's Buddha: I don't usually like pictures of someone else's art,
    >but this worked well. Nice colors. Not sure how much of that was
    >original and how much photoshop, but it doesn't matter, I like it. I
    >could see it on a wall.

    The two art pieces were on the wall of a place that buys entire older
    houses that are about to be demolished - from all over the south - and
    strips out the more valuable items. They have hundreds of doors,
    windows, bath fixtures, etc in the yard. The interior is full of old
    light fixtures, interior hardware items, and a hodge-podge of other
    things. They sell to interior decorators and antique shops. The
    inventory changes constantly.

    Buddha is a painted wood carving that was an insert in something else
    - a large piece - but I don't know what. It was hung rather high on
    the wall (about 8' from the ground), so I had to use Perspective in
    Photoshop to drag the sides parallel because I shot up at it. I
    adjusted Levels and tweaked Saturation slightly, and that was it. The
    colors are there, but a bit faded. The original is a small piece;
    about 6" wide.

    The most difficult thing about photographing things in this place is
    that everything is piled up and jammed against other things. It's
    hard to find anything to photograph that doesn't have other things in
    the view.

    The owner is a nice guy who lets me have the run of the place as long
    as I don't move anything. Other people have tried to move things, and
    it's like pick-up-sticks where one thing is moved and many other
    things fall as a result.

    These two images were taken at the same place, in the outside yard,
    and appeared in the "Favorites" Shoot-In.

    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-GBc47x8/0/X2/2011-04-03-2-X2.jpg

    Between my visit to photograph the fountain, and my next visit, some
    visitor knocked over an ornamental iron fence section, it fell on the
    fountain, the fountain fell over, and both bowls broke.

    Behind the cherub's butt, you can make out a shelf and a watering can
    that is here:

    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/Current-Favorite-Shot/i-cdNnhwq/0/X2/2011-04-03-1-X2.jpg

    Thanks for the comment.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Oct 12, 2011

  3. otter

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/11/2011 10:04 PM, otter wrote:
    > On Oct 10, 2:55 pm, Bowser<> wrote:
    >> At last, a bodacious bounty of beauties to behold, simply by clicking
    >> this link:
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_b
    >>
    >> For those of you unfamiliar with the Shoot-In, please visit the rulz
    >> page, located here:
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
    >>
    >> The shootin is a collection of shots from participants that's held (sort
    >> of) monthly. We offer NO prizes! None! Just, hopefully, some thoughtful
    >> critiques from the participants of this newsgroup.
    >>

    > PeterN Baboon: There is something very disturbing about that picture
    > to me.

    I was showing the baby baboon's nightmare. He hadn't learned how to
    swim. ;-)

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Oct 12, 2011
  4. otter

    Tim Conway Guest

    "PeterN" <> wrote in message
    > On 10/11/2011 10:04 PM, otter wrote:
    >> On Oct 10, 2:55 pm, Bowser<> wrote:
    >>> At last, a bodacious bounty of beauties to behold, simply by clicking
    >>> this link:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/letter_b
    >>>
    >>> For those of you unfamiliar with the Shoot-In, please visit the rulz
    >>> page, located here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
    >>>
    >>> The shootin is a collection of shots from participants that's held (sort
    >>> of) monthly. We offer NO prizes! None! Just, hopefully, some thoughtful
    >>> critiques from the participants of this newsgroup.
    >>>

    >> PeterN Baboon: There is something very disturbing about that picture
    >> to me.
    >>

    > I was showing the baby baboon's nightmare. He hadn't learned how to swim.
    > ;-)

    I really like that shot. I think it's clever.
    Tim Conway, Oct 12, 2011
  5. otter

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/12/2011 11:35 AM, Tim Conway wrote:

    > "PeterN" <> wrote in message

    >>> PeterN Baboon: There is something very disturbing about that picture
    >>> to me.
    >>>

    >> I was showing the baby baboon's nightmare. He hadn't learned how to
    >> swim. ;-)
    >>

    > I really like that shot. I think it's clever.

    Thank you,
    It's really easy. I saw the baboons in the lily blossom and shot the image.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Oct 12, 2011
  6. otter

    Tim Conway Guest

    "PeterN" <> wrote in message
    > On 10/12/2011 11:35 AM, Tim Conway wrote:
    >>
    >> "PeterN" <> wrote in message

    >>> I was showing the baby baboon's nightmare. He hadn't learned how to
    >>> swim. ;-)
    >>>

    >> I really like that shot. I think it's clever.
    >>

    > Thank you,
    > It's really easy. I saw the baboons in the lily blossom and shot the
    > image.

    Trippin' again, huh?
    Tim Conway, Oct 12, 2011