Re: beginner

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t, Feb 9, 2008.

  1. > From: "Ben Franklyn" <>
    > I am very interested in learning programming. However I am having
    > trouble starting, I need advice as to which language would be the
    > best for a beginner to start with

    Common Lisp.

    And set your mind on "data processing" as what you're trying to automate.
    You have some input data, and you process it, to produce some output.
    (The purpose of computer software is to automate data-processing
    tasks instead of always doing them by hand.)
    Start with processing integers, then strings of characters, then lists.
    (Lists can be lists of anything, integers strings and other lists all
    mixed together in the toplevel list.)
    Let me know if you want free beginner lessons online.

    > and where I may find the tools needed to
    > start.......literature.....compilers...etc.

    All you need is your own computer (not one at a public library).

    If that computer is on InterNet, you need to be able to run telnet
    and a Web browser at the same time: telnet to connect to the Common
    Lisp demo server, and the Web browser to connect to my Web site so
    that I can coach you in nearly realtime.

    If all you have is a VT100 emulator and a Unix shell account,
    either run CMUCL or such on the shell account or use telnet to
    connect to the Common Lisp demo server, and use lynx to connect to
    my Web site so that I can coach you in nearly realtime.

    Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t, Feb 9, 2008

  2. Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t

    Jon Harrop Guest

    Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t wrote:
    >> From: "Ben Franklyn" <>
    >> I am very interested in learning programming. However I am having
    >> trouble starting, I need advice as to which language would be the
    >> best for a beginner to start with

    > Common Lisp.

    Argh! Run away...

    http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/?u

    Jon Harrop, Feb 10, 2008

  3. Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t

    Guest

    On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:46:48 +0000, Jon Harrop <>
    wrote:

    >Robert Maas, see http://tinyurl.com/uh3t wrote:
    >>> From: "Ben Franklyn" <>
    >>> I am very interested in learning programming. However I am having
    >>> trouble starting, I need advice as to which language would be the
    >>> best for a beginner to start with

    >> Common Lisp.

    >Argh! Run away...

    Why did I expect to read a rude comment on a Linux group, when the
    subject was "Beginner".

    I feel sorry for any beginner starting to learn Linux. It's bad
    enough the OS is a peice of crap, but much worse are the assholes that
    use it. For some reason Linux users are all assholes and if you have
    the nerve to ask them a basic question, prepare to be flamed and
    trashed. The way I see it, Linux users spend their entire lives in
    front of their computer screen in order to get their crappy OS to
    work, so they never interact with people, and thus they are clueless
    how to treat others. Although Windows has problems, I'd rather deal
    with some Windows crashes than have to spend my life in front of my
    computer and deal with the Linux using fuckers who refuse to help
    anyone. At least most of the Windows help groups are pretty friendly
    aside from one or two people. One of the main reasons Linux never got
    anywhere is because of the people who use it. They're an exclusive
    club. They dont want anyone else to use it, while they brag about how
    great it is, so they can draw others to their newsgroups for more
    flame bait.

    This is my one and only post about this. Flame on and be sure to
    call me all sorts of names and use the word "troll" repeatedly and
    often, because that shows the low mentality of all the rude and
    inconsiderate Linux users. I said what I had to say, and said it
    exactly how I feel about it.

    By the way, whoever sent me a Linux cd, the local garbage collectors
    hauled it to the dump, which is the best place for it. In 1000 years
    from now someone will find it and wonder what the hell it is....

    , Feb 11, 2008
  4. wrote:
    > On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:46:48 +0000, Jon Harrop <>
    > wrote:

    >>> Common Lisp.

    >> Argh! Run away...

    > Why did I expect to read a rude comment on a Linux group, when the
    > subject was "Beginner".

    I see nothing rude here. I believe Robert was legitimately recommending
    Lisp, and Jon was legitimately, comically and emphatically suggesting it
    might not be such a good idea.

    I feel sorry for beginners who are trying to ask questions in newsgroups
    and their threads get cluttered with comments that their entire
    ambitions may be ill founded. As a beginner, the OP should be entitled
    to make his own opinions.

    If you indeed sent your Linux CD to the dump, then it is reasonable to
    assume you have nothing worthwhile to add to the thread . . . but I
    suppose, that was innately apparent.

    Kudos on preemptively calling the troll thing, though - why would anyone
    call you that ;)
    --
    LTP

    :)