Re: BBC News link with no Flash

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Cork Soaker, Nov 17, 2008.

  1. Cork Soaker

    Cork Soaker Guest

    philo wrote:
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/text_only.stm
    >

    > For all those who hate the video news sites the above link is for BBC

    Duh

    > maybe others know of more "text" web news sites
    >

    > also

    <blah>

    Opera will let you disable all the crap you don't want, and has done for
    many years.

    Cork Soaker, Nov 17, 2008

  2. Cork Soaker

    thanatoid Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    >> Opera will let you disable all the crap you don't want,
    >> and has done for
    >> many years.

    > I don't like Opera

    I like Opera and use it when I /have/ to (Java, scripts, etc.)
    but OB1 is faster and 100% safe - safer than ANY full featured
    browser, even Opera, no matter what you disable in it. It is
    also about 10 times smaller and uses virtually no resources. It
    also has no cache to clean out.

    As for "dumping cookies on the desktop", it creates (IF you
    enable cookies) ONE file - HPSW.CKI, in the directory where you
    start it from (like if you click on a link someone put in their
    post in your newsreader, that cookies file - and anything you DL
    - will be in THAT directory. All that can be moved/deleted
    easily in a variety of ways. I do it as part of a "move/clean
    garbage" batch file which I run once a day or once a week
    depending on amount of internet use.

    --
    "May you live in interesting times."
    (curse, origin disputed)

    thanatoid, Nov 17, 2008

  3. Cork Soaker

    thanatoid Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > What I really liked the most about it
    > was when I used to always be working on minimal machines
    > such as 386's and 486's
    > and I could load Off By One on a single floppy.

    If you don't use SSL (and most sites requiring it also require
    other things which OB1 doesn't do), it's a single 1.2 MB exe
    file.

    thanatoid, Nov 18, 2008
  4. Cork Soaker

    Guest

    "philo" <> wrote:

    >What I really liked the most about it
    >was when I used to always be working on minimal machines
    >such as 386's and 486's
    >and I could load Off By One on a single floppy.

    Early 90's Opera had a feature that you could copy it to a floppy with
    your bookmarks and such, so you could take it to your friends house
    and show all the p0rn links you found :)
    --

    Falconer
    http://tinyurl.com/9wjyw

    , Nov 18, 2008