Re: BBC News link with no Flash

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by §ñühwØ£f, Nov 17, 2008.

  1. On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 18:54:25 -0600, philo aided th' terraists with the
    following claims :

    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/text_only.stm
    >

    > For all those who hate the video news sites the above link is for BBC
    >
    > maybe others know of more "text" web news sites
    >

    > also
    >
    > for those who want to get back to basics
    >
    > the Off By one browser
    >
    > http://offbyone.com/offbyone/
    >

    > Renders HTML just fine
    >
    > but completely ignores all Flash and Java-script
    >
    > Probably a safe a browser as you can get on a Windows machine
    >

    > If you like bells and whistles...do not bother with this one.
    >

    > BTW: It will run on anything from Windows 95 all the way up to Vista

    It dumps its "cookies" file on yer desktop so you have to drag it to the
    trash.
    You can get Firebird (original mozilla pre-firefox build) and just turn
    off java and get a nice safe browser that renders html better than OB1
    does.
    Plus you can *choose* fonts in mozilla, not in OB1.

    http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/index.htm
    §ñühwØ£f, Nov 17, 2008

  2. On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:58:48 -0600, philo aided th' terraists with the
    following claims :

    > "§ñühwØ£f" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 18:54:25 -0600, philo aided th' terraists with the
    >> following claims :
    >>
    >> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/text_only.stm
    >> >

    >> > For all those who hate the video news sites the above link is for BBC
    >> >
    >> > maybe others know of more "text" web news sites
    >> >

    >> > also
    >> >
    >> > for those who want to get back to basics
    >> >
    >> > the Off By one browser
    >> >
    >> > http://offbyone.com/offbyone/
    >> >

    >> > Renders HTML just fine
    >> >
    >> > but completely ignores all Flash and Java-script
    >> >
    >> > Probably a safe a browser as you can get on a Windows machine
    >> >

    >> > If you like bells and whistles...do not bother with this one.
    >> >

    >> > BTW: It will run on anything from Windows 95 all the way up to Vista

    >> It dumps its "cookies" file on yer desktop so you have to drag it to the
    >> trash.
    >> You can get Firebird (original mozilla pre-firefox build) and just turn
    >> off java and get a nice safe browser that renders html better than OB1
    >> does.
    >> Plus you can *choose* fonts in mozilla, not in OB1.
    >>

    > I have never had Off By One do that.
    >
    > It would only do that if you were running Off By One on the desktop
    > (rather than from a shortcut on the desktop)

    Windows is too hard for me.
    I had to switch to easy linux :)

    http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/index.htm
    §ñühwØ£f, Nov 18, 2008

  3. On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 15:19:46 -0600, philo aided th' terraists with the
    following claims :

    > "§ñühwØ£f" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:58:48 -0600, philo aided th' terraists with the
    >> following claims :
    >>

    >> > "§ñühwØ£f" <> wrote in message

    > the
    >> >>

    >> > I have never had Off By One do that.
    >> >
    >> > It would only do that if you were running Off By One on the desktop
    >> > (rather than from a shortcut on the desktop)

    >> Windows is too hard for me.
    >> I had to switch to easy linux :)
    >>

    > Why not OS/2 ?

    I wanted to try it but IBM never open sourced it.
    Its being maintained IIRC as "eCom Station" and from the looks of it would
    be fun to play with.

    http://www.mykeru.com
    §ñühwØ£f, Nov 19, 2008