Re: Battery question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Michael Black, Oct 30, 2012.

  1. On Mon, 15 Oct 2012, wrote:

    > I'm looking at two digital camers, a Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR and a FinePix
    > HS25EXR. Almost identical cameras with a few minor (to me anyway) differences.
    > But the big one I'm trying to decide is 4 AA batteris in the FinePix HS25EXR
    > versus am Li-ion battery in the FinePix HS30EXR. My first thought was that the
    > AA batteries would be easy to replace when I needed them, especially if I was on
    > the road. I can easily buy them. Camera supposedly gets 35o shots out of the
    > batteries. The Li-ion supposedly gets 600 shots. But of course, it has to then
    > be recharged, Any thoughts as to which power supply is the better? Thanks.

    Early digital cameras were power hogs. They seem to have improved, but
    also the batteries have gotten better.

    I wouldn't want an expensive and "exotic" battery for something I commonly
    used like a camera. With AAs you can use nimh's and keep recharging them,
    making sure to get multiple sets so you have backup or can use one set
    while charging the other. But since they are a standard battery, if an
    emergency comes up, you can grab some AA batteries off the rack and keep
    taking pictures. You can get alkaline AAs anywhere. An "exotic" battery
    will not be availalbe everywhere, and unless it uses some scheme that
    allows for "regular" batteries, you will be stuck with a camera and no
    ability to take pictures.

    A different way of looking at it, I pulled a somewhat older Olympus. 5MP
    and smaller than my better pixeled Cannon, out of a box of junk lying on
    the sidewalk. It even came with a 2gig XD card. But the battery is dead,
    and it is an "exotic". Chances are good the battery is the reason it was
    tossed (that and it being "older"), but I'm not sure I'm willing to spend
    the money on the battery to see that. If it used AA batteries, I'd have
    tried it the minute I got home.

    Michael
    Michael Black, Oct 30, 2012

  2. Michael Black

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:56:50 AM UTC, Michael Black wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Oct 2012, wrote:
    >

    > > I'm looking at two digital camers, a Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR and a FinePix

    > > HS25EXR. Almost identical cameras with a few minor (to me anyway) differences.

    > > But the big one I'm trying to decide is 4 AA batteris in the FinePix HS25EXR

    > > versus am Li-ion battery in the FinePix HS30EXR. My first thought was that the

    > > AA batteries would be easy to replace when I needed them, especially if I was on

    > > the road. I can easily buy them. Camera supposedly gets 35o shots out of the

    > > batteries. The Li-ion supposedly gets 600 shots. But of course, it has to then

    > > be recharged, Any thoughts as to which power supply is the better? Thanks.

    > Early digital cameras were power hogs. They seem to have improved, but
    >
    > also the batteries have gotten better.
    >

    > I wouldn't want an expensive and "exotic" battery for something I commonly
    >
    > used like a camera.

    For me it would depend on exactly how expensive and how exotic, or should that be erotic ;-)

    > With AAs you can use nimh's and keep recharging them,
    >
    > making sure to get multiple sets so you have backup or can use one set
    >
    > while charging the other.

    So carrying around extra wieght and size, which isn't needed, one thing I've noticed is that 4AA seesm to wiegh more than the equivalent exotic battery and take up much more space.

    > But since they are a standard battery, if an
    >
    > emergency comes up, you can grab some AA batteries off the rack and keep
    >
    > taking pictures.

    True but sometimes when on location there;'s just no rack to get battries off of.

    > You can get alkaline AAs anywhere.

    Not quite, there's lots of places I've been where I can;t get suich things.
    On the beach, in a forest, sure get them at amazon but not in the amazon.

    > An "exotic" battery
    >
    > will not be availalbe everywhere, and unless it uses some scheme that
    >
    > allows for "regular" batteries, you will be stuck with a camera and no
    >
    > ability to take pictures.

    Unless you have a spare of course which you keep charged.

    > A different way of looking at it, I pulled a somewhat older Olympus. 5MP
    >
    > and smaller than my better pixeled Cannon, out of a box of junk lying on
    >
    > the sidewalk. It even came with a 2gig XD card. But the battery is dead,
    >
    > and it is an "exotic". Chances are good the battery is the reason it was
    >
    > tossed (that and it being "older"), but I'm not sure I'm willing to spend
    >
    > the money on the battery to see that. If it used AA batteries, I'd have
    >
    > tried it the minute I got home.

    and gained what exactly, a camera that you don't really want ?
    Or will you use the standard battries in itm, then when you come to use them in your current camera they are flat ?
    Remember older camersa use more power generally.

    It's good to appreacaie the advantages and disavantages of differnt ways of powering cameras or any product.

    Whisky-dave, Oct 30, 2012

  3. Michael Black <> wrote:

    > A different way of looking at it, I pulled a somewhat older Olympus. 5MP
    > and smaller than my better pixeled Cannon, out of a box of junk lying on
    > the sidewalk. It even came with a 2gig XD card. But the battery is dead,
    > and it is an "exotic". Chances are good the battery is the reason it was
    > tossed (that and it being "older"), but I'm not sure I'm willing to spend
    > the money on the battery to see that. If it used AA batteries, I'd have
    > tried it the minute I got home.

    You didn't say what camera it was ... but would that be
    perchance the battery you needed?
    http://www.digi163.com/battery/Olympus-Digital-Camera-Battery/Olympus-FE-150-battery.htm
    http://www.batteries4less.com/olympus/fe-150/fe-150
    http://shop.retrevo.com/m/search/offergroup?c=8&m=4352481&og=2208771