Re: Batteries When Using Laptop As a Desktop

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Buffalo, Dec 7, 2008.

  1. Buffalo

    Buffalo Guest

    wrote:
    > I want to use an HP laptop (Vista Home Premium), 3 G RAM, 300 G hard
    > drive as my desktop. It won't ever leave the office so I want to
    > leave it plugged in all the time. Is it better to run it this way
    > with the battery installed or without the battery?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > James

    Some say to remove it so that it will last longer and not cause a heat
    buildup which will shorten its life.
    Of course, as Phil says, if you leave it in and have a power failure, it
    won't lose info.
    Check with the mfg of the laptop. I believe Dell recommends to remove the
    battery when using it maimly on external power.

    Buffalo, Dec 7, 2008

  2. Buffalo wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> I want to use an HP laptop (Vista Home Premium), 3 G RAM, 300 G hard
    >> drive as my desktop. It won't ever leave the office so I want to
    >> leave it plugged in all the time. Is it better to run it this way
    >> with the battery installed or without the battery?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> James

    > Some say to remove it so that it will last longer and not cause a heat
    > buildup which will shorten its life.
    > Of course, as Phil says, if you leave it in and have a power failure, it
    > won't lose info.

    Minor point: it wont loose info even without the main battery in during
    a power failure since lappys have something called RAM batteries that
    are cute little plastic shrinkwrapped batteries with a pigtail & plug.
    My lappy hs TWO sets of RAM batteries. Different sizes &
    voltages...actually one is prolly the CMOS battery but the bigger one is
    the RAM battery. 7.2v IIRC...

    FYI

    > Check with the mfg of the laptop. I believe Dell recommends to remove the
    > battery when using it maimly on external power.

    I'm into maiming my lappy too...

    <CRUNCH>

    §ñühw¤£f, Dec 7, 2008