Re: Batteries - Chargers

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Don Coon, Aug 8, 2003.

  1. Don Coon

    Don Coon Guest

    "Allodoxaphobia" <> wrote in message
    > Overstock.com suddenly has a plethora of batteries and chargers
    > for digital cameras -- even some proprietary models. Here-to-fore
    > you would only find just cameras and `accessories` -- flashes,
    > bags, tripods, usw -- in this category.
    >
    > http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=HEYWHATSNEW&STO_ID=2&STL_ID=6
    >
    > I have *NO* affiliation with these folks. I have purchased
    > computer claptrap and some sports gee-gaw from them before, and
    > they were "ok" to do business with.

    Prices don't look all that great to me. Both AA chargers ($24.99 and
    $17.99) don't claim to be "intelligent" charges and both cost more than
    Wal-Mart B&M $16.82 intelligent charger with 4 AAs.

    The BP-511 can be purchased at several on line places for as low as $9.95
    vs. their $27.99.

    Also I can purhase 4 1800 AAs from lots of places for less than their $13.99
    no-names. (Just purchased 2 packs of 4 1600mah Kodak batteries from
    computergeeks for $3.99 each!)

    And you can't easily determine shipping without logging in.
    Don Coon, Aug 8, 2003

  2. Don Coon

    Browntimdc Guest

    (Louis J. LaBash, Jr.) wrote in

    > "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message
    >> "Allodoxaphobia" <> wrote in message

    >> no-names. (Just purchased 2 packs of 4 1600mah Kodak batteries from
    >> computergeeks for $3.99 each!)

    > Did you really mean 1600mah Kodak batteries? If so, these are pretty
    > wimpy. I've seen 1800, 1850, and 2000 maH. The smaller maH cells are
    > cheaper.

    For the penalty of 20% less energy he bought recharable batteries for
    little more than what regular alkaline batteries cost. They will still last
    much longer than alkalines in a digicam and (assuming he already has a
    charger) if he recharges them just 2 times he's way ahead of the game.

    BTW, here are 1800mAH batts for $1:
    http://www.batteryspace.com/product.asp?3=282
    Browntimdc, Aug 8, 2003

  3. Don Coon

    Don Coon Guest

    "Browntimdc" <browntR*E*M*O*V*> wrote in message
    > (Louis J. LaBash, Jr.) wrote in
    >
    > > "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message
    > >> "Allodoxaphobia" <> wrote in message

    > >> no-names. (Just purchased 2 packs of 4 1600mah Kodak batteries from
    > >> computergeeks for $3.99 each!)

    > > Did you really mean 1600mah Kodak batteries? If so, these are pretty
    > > wimpy. I've seen 1800, 1850, and 2000 maH. The smaller maH cells are
    > > cheaper.
    > >

    > For the penalty of 20% less energy he bought recharable batteries for
    > little more than what regular alkaline batteries cost. They will still

    last
    > much longer than alkalines in a digicam and (assuming he already has a
    > charger) if he recharges them just 2 times he's way ahead of the game.
    >
    > BTW, here are 1800mAH batts for $1:
    > http://www.batteryspace.com/product.asp?3=282

    Don't know if I want to buy 24 batteries at a time : )
    Don Coon, Aug 8, 2003
  4. Don Coon

    Tim Brown Guest

    "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message news:<5RTYa.99928$YN5.69798@sccrnsc01>...
    > "Louis J. LaBash, Jr." <> wrote in message
    > > "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message

    > > Did you really mean 1600mah Kodak batteries? If so, these are pretty
    > > wimpy. I've seen 1800, 1850, and 2000 maH. The smaller maH cells are
    > > cheaper.

    > 1600mah have 89% of the capacity of the 1800mah cited in the previous post
    > for $13.99 a 4-pack. At $3.99 the 1600mahs are a no-brainer. I got them
    > for .0625 cents a mah ($3.99 / 1600 x 4) -- the cited 1800mah cost .1945
    > cents per mah. Damn bet you the "smaller" mah cells are cheaper --- like
    > 1/3 the cost per mah. Who the hell cares if you consider them "wimpy"?
    > I'm willing to change batteries 11% more often for this price. Actually, I
    > bet I won't even notice the difference.
    >
    > Are you trying to impress someone with "my batteries are bigger than yours"
    > or something?

    I guess he wasn't around in the days of 450mAH NiCD AA cells. Now those were wimpy.

    Tim
    Tim Brown, Aug 9, 2003
  5. Don Coon

    Don Coon Guest

    "Tim Brown" <> wrote in message
    > "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message

    > > "Louis J. LaBash, Jr." <> wrote in message
    > > > "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message

    > > > Did you really mean 1600mah Kodak batteries? If so, these are pretty
    > > > wimpy. I've seen 1800, 1850, and 2000 maH. The smaller maH cells are
    > > > cheaper.

    > > 1600mah have 89% of the capacity of the 1800mah cited in the previous

    post
    > > for $13.99 a 4-pack. At $3.99 the 1600mahs are a no-brainer. I got

    them
    > > for .0625 cents a mah ($3.99 / 1600 x 4) -- the cited 1800mah cost

    ..1945
    > > cents per mah. Damn bet you the "smaller" mah cells are cheaper ---

    like
    > > 1/3 the cost per mah. Who the hell cares if you consider them "wimpy"?
    > > I'm willing to change batteries 11% more often for this price.

    Actually, I
    > > bet I won't even notice the difference.
    > >
    > > Are you trying to impress someone with "my batteries are bigger than

    yours"
    > > or something?

    > I guess he wasn't around in the days of 450mAH NiCD AA cells. Now those

    were wimpy.

    > Tim

    Yup : ) My first AA digicam in 1999 (Nikon 950) used "state-o-the-art"
    1300mah NiMHs. I thought they were GREAT!
    Don Coon, Aug 9, 2003
  6. Don Coon

    Don Coon Guest

    http://www.physics.udel.edu/wwwusers/watson/phys345/class/04-battery-testers.html

    > BTW: ESR is a parameter used for other electronic components, and has
    > a similar deleterious effect as described in the above URL (limits
    > peak current).

    My goodness! How did we ever survive when 1300mah was all there was?
    Don Coon, Aug 10, 2003
  7. "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message news:<SwxZa.79323$cF.24928@rwcrnsc53>

    > My goodness! How did we ever survive when 1300mah was all there was?

    The short answer:
    God takes care of little kids and dumb animals :)

    The long one:
    Depends on the designer criteria and his/her implementation. The
    capacity of a battery is *not* a constant. It varies with the
    batteries previous use, rate of discharge, ... . Not all batteries
    are created equal, even though they have the same specs. The acid
    test is to take a new cell and fully charge it, put it in your camera
    and see how many picture you can take before the low battery warning
    appears -- keep a log, analyze the data. Some cameras have higher a
    demand than others.

    Could you live with a battery that had to be re-charged after taking
    only a few pictures?

    BTW: I know something of what I speak :)
    Louis J. LaBash, Jr., Aug 11, 2003
  8. Don Coon

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <>,
    (Louis J. LaBash, Jr.) wrote:

    > The acid
    > test is to take a new cell and fully charge it, put it in your camera
    > and see how many picture you can take before the low battery warning
    > appears

    No this is not the "acid test".

    A NiMh cell should go through 3 to 4 full charge discharge cycles till
    the new cell reaches full capacity.

    Then you can do the acid test.

    --
    HP Marketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, Aug 11, 2003
  9. Don Coon

    Don Coon Guest

    > "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message

    > > My goodness! How did we ever survive when 1300mah was all there was?

    > The short answer:
    > God takes care of little kids and dumb animals :)
    >
    > The long one:
    > Depends on the designer criteria and his/her implementation. The
    > capacity of a battery is *not* a constant. It varies with the
    > batteries previous use, rate of discharge, ... . Not all batteries
    > are created equal, even though they have the same specs. The acid
    > test is to take a new cell and fully charge it, put it in your camera
    > and see how many picture you can take before the low battery warning
    > appears -- keep a log, analyze the data. Some cameras have higher a
    > demand than others.
    >
    > Could you live with a battery that had to be re-charged after taking
    > only a few pictures?
    >
    > BTW: I know something of what I speak :)

    BTW: So do I ; )

    Since when does a 1300mah battery (NiMH BTW) only provide for taking "only a
    few pictures?" I remember taking well over 100 with my Nikon CP 950 ---
    much more if I shut the review screen off.

    Now, as I recall this thread started over a purchase of 1600mah NiMH
    batteries ($1 each) vs. 1800mah NiMH batteries for about $3.59 each.

    God also takes care of experienced mature adults and smart animals so what
    was your point in your "short answer"?
    Don Coon, Aug 11, 2003
  10. Bob Salomon <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <>,
    > (Louis J. LaBash, Jr.) wrote:
    >
    > > The acid
    > > test is to take a new cell and fully charge it, put it in your camera
    > > and see how many picture you can take before the low battery warning
    > > appears

    > No this is not the "acid test".

    You failed to read my post:
    "The capacity of a battery is *not* constant."
    "-- keep a log, analyze the data."

    How long has the battery been sitting on the shelf is another factor,
    how many cycles, how deep the discharge(s), quality of manufacturer,
    .... .

    > A NiMh cell should go through 3 to 4 full charge discharge cycles till
    > the new cell reaches full capacity.
    >
    > Then you can do the acid test.

    Keep a log so you can analyze the data, one entry does not constitute
    a log.

    Merriam-Webster:
    log -a record of performance, events, ... .

    Here is a good URL:
    http://www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/batteries.htm
    Louis J. LaBash, Jr., Aug 12, 2003
  11. "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message news:<KYQZa.122292$uu5.18370@sccrnsc04>...
    > "Louis J. LaBash, Jr." <> wrote in message
    > > "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message

    > Since when does a 1300mah battery (NiMH BTW) only provide for taking "only a
    > few pictures?"

    ? = question

    There is an answer: at its end-of-life, at some point they are discarded.
    Louis J. LaBash, Jr., Aug 12, 2003