re basic info

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by geepeetee, Mar 26, 2006.

  1. geepeetee

    geepeetee Guest

    Hi

    Sorry (to Jack) if I didn't make it clear. The internet connection is dial
    up in a desktop pc, this also has a wireless dlink pci card fitted. The
    other machine is laptop with a pcmcia card fitted.

    I have created a network on the desktop and have been able to connect the
    laptop to it. There are still some things confusing me though.

    Some of the wizards ask if I want to add another pc to the network, is this
    different to just connecting the laptop to the network it has detected. If
    so what are the pros and cons (or where can I read about them).

    As it is now (just connected to the detected network) it wont let me access
    the internet on the laptop. Suggestions how to make this work appreciated.

    I have it on ad hoc, unsecured at the moment until I establish everything is
    working. I would like to make it secured, if I change the network to have
    WEP enabled in data encryption (in properties) and try to reconnect the
    laptop, it still lists it as an unsecured network and allows connection. Is
    this the feature that prevents others using the network?

    thanks for your help

    Gary

    --
    Visit my websites at