Re: basic authentication query

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Enkidu, Oct 16, 2008.

  1. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 13:35:31 +1300, Mark Robinson wrote:
    >
    >> Reg wrote:
    >>> I have a family website where access is restricted by .htaccess
    >>> and .htpasswd files. When we log onto it using IE7 we get the
    >>> warning: This server is requesting that your username and
    >>> password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authentication
    >>> without a secure connection.)
    >>>
    >>> I am curious as to how I can change things to avoid this message.
    >>>

    >>> It is a linux/apache server. I can access my directories on it
    >>> using SSH.

    >> If it's not your server it's probably not a trivial fix.
    >>
    >> You need to make the authentication form submit through an ssl
    >> enabled server (https://whatever.domain.not) to stop the browser
    >> throwing up the warning.
    >>
    >> Talk to the service provider.

    > The other way around it is to change the setting for MSIE on the
    > Windows desktop box so that it doesn't throw up that error.

    It's not an error it is a warning.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.

    Enkidu, Oct 16, 2008

  2. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 21:43:38 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >>> The other way around it is to change the setting for MSIE on the
    >>> Windows desktop box so that it doesn't throw up that error.
    >>>

    >> It's not an error it is a warning.

    > Same thing really - both are messages thrown up by the application.
    >
    > We should be thankful that MSIE can actually throw up error messages.

    http://www.thehumorarchives.com/joke/Windows_Error_Messages

    http://atom.smasher.org/error/?style=xp&title=Lennier+Strikes+Again!&text=You+have+been+sucked+into+one+of+Lennier%27s+spurious+and+pointless+discussions.+Disengage+immediately+or+suffer+serious+brain+damage!&b1=Destroy+the+world&b2=Destroy+Lennier&b3=Go+to+%22Midnight+Garden%22+

    (alt http://tinyurl.com/5uta38)

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Tax is not theft.

    Enkidu, Oct 17, 2008

  3. In message <>, Enkidu wrote:

    > http://www.thehumorarchives.com/joke/Windows_Error_Messages

    Ah, the old "no keyboard present, press a key to continue" non-joke. How
    hard is it to understand "this system needs a keyboard to continue, connect
    one and press a goddam key to confirm it's working"?

    Maybe the joke is on those who think it's a joke...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 17, 2008