Re: Bandwidth-limiting Software?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Optional, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Optional

    Optional Guest

    I've heard a rumor that on 6 Aug 2003 09:57:19 -0700,
    (Krhis) wrote the following:

    >Any software out there that can limit a programs bandwidth? Here's my
    >problem:
    >
    >I have two servers (when I say servers, I mean I have two different
    >programs serving two different files on my computer) online. My Cable
    >connection max upload speed is 30kbs, each server eats up about 15kbs
    >(lets just say they are the only two things running). One of them has
    >a higher priority then the other, so what I would like to do is to
    >give the lower-priority server a max, so one would run at 6kbs and the
    >other gets all of the left over bandwidth (24kbs if you did the math).
    >
    >Any links? Thanks for your help!
    >I would use Google, but I have no clue what I should enter.
    >
    >Krhis

    I would think you would either need to configure each app unless they
    are greedy and take whatever they can get. If that is the case, you
    could probably do this through a router by giving a certain port more
    bandwidth than the other. Of course not all routers have bandwidth
    limiting capabilities. You could install a Linux box and use it as a
    router. I know you can throttle the bandwidth on a per port basis
    that way.

    perl -e 'print v78.111.116.32.121.101.116.32.97.32.80.101.114.108.32.104.97.99.107.101.114;'
    Optional, Aug 6, 2003