Re: Badass mobo, etc.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by catchme, Dec 12, 2008.

  1. catchme

    catchme Guest

    Bro wrote:
    > I wanna build a super gaming pc
    > If money is no object can you guys suggest some components?
    > (mobo, cpu, etc)
    >
    > Thanx

    ummm, i think if you havent any idea, then likely you dont know enough
    to get your feet wet on that big a project.
    Generally those who have been working on their machines for some time,
    have a fair idea what they want for their first custom job. And usually
    they want to get enough confidence building cheaper machines before
    going all-out.
    For me, i like amd am-2 socket boards PCI-E x16 SLI, and enough slots to
    handle up to 3 Gb. Ram.
    from there, i would check out antec for an xt case, while keeping in
    mind the design of the board to figure out where you might have issues
    with space for things like video cards, hard drives, fans etc.
    hell, tell you what- buy a subscription to a magazine geared up towards
    pc modding- they cover everything from fans and screws right up to
    boards, cpu's etc.
    they even have pictorial walk-thrus showing you how to get started.
    But i warn you- dont get too confident right off.

    catchme, Dec 12, 2008

  2. catchme

    catchme Guest

    Bro wrote:
    > In this here newsgroup called 24hoursupport.helpdesk on Fri, 12 Dec
    > 2008 12:48:52 -0800 we all dun see'd a message a-written by catchme
    > <> which dun sed:
    >
    >> Bro wrote:
    >>> I wanna build a super gaming pc
    >>> If money is no object can you guys suggest some components?
    >>> (mobo, cpu, etc)
    >>>
    >>> Thanx

    > My first build sports 3 TB hdd and 3 gigs ram, etc. But hey, thanx for
    > playing!
    > I have a Phenom 9950 and want the proper mobo to go with it. Gotta
    > have SLI whatchacallit thingy (have a GeForce 9800 GT) & want 8 gigs
    > ram (have XP x64 disc) So if your superior brain can direct me to a
    > proper mobo (the steenkin' Asus M3N-HT Deluxe dint work) that'd be
    > swell.

    so then you pretty much KNOW what you want, aside from a mobo (or not).
    in that case, check out various websites for mobo reviews.

    anyhow, i think you might want to give these links a try for your
    combination.
    one suggestion is to change your 9600 for the 9650, apparently fixing a
    "bug" that is found in the 9600.
    on the other hand, users HAVE got the 9600 to work, but blame Asus for
    not being "enthusiastic" about making an AMD board.
    google search:
    asus m3n-ht amd 9600 phenom reviews
    and a few results:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ht-deluxe-amd-nvidia-780a-motherboard-637960/
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_m3nht_sli/8.htm
    http://www.techimo.com/forum/tech-news-discussion/207886-asus-m3n-ht-deluxe-motherboard-reviews.html
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1303546

    catchme, Dec 13, 2008

  3. catchme

    Guest

    Bro <dont_taze_me_[FILLINTHEBLANK]@h a l e b o b b.com> wrote:

    >Gotta
    >have SLI whatchacallit thingy (have a GeForce 9800 GT)

    Go with EVGA, I had a PNY 7900 GT and it didn't last a year.

    Also, I've heard that you actually slow down (graphic wise) with SLI.
    --

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions

    , Dec 14, 2008