Re: bad camera is good

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by eatmorepies, Sep 21, 2011.

  1. eatmorepies

    eatmorepies Guest

    "bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message
    >I recently (following advice in this forum) bought a Panasonic TZ8.
    >
    > Nice camera, handling not so nice as my Canons.
    >
    > I reviewed my first batch of photos (all taken on "full auto" flash OFF),
    > and found that some of them were ... disappointing.
    >
    > They were taken at the (marvellous) ropewalk
    > at Chatham Docks.
    >
    > Some of them showed a strange texture, a little like noise,
    > but also similar to the art effects (chalk/watercolour/oil)
    > seen in some paint packages.
    >
    > And some photographs of black (cast iron) machinery were
    > simply underexposed.
    >
    > Not good.
    >
    > More careful reviewing of the EXIF data reveals
    > that in all cases the exposure was up at 1/4 second,
    > and the lens wide open. ISO is 400.
    >
    > The "art effect" is the image stabilisation hitting it's limits,
    > and the underexposures are the camera refusing to go beyond
    > 1/4" sec, f "wide open", ISO 400.
    >
    > It's as simple as not enough light.
    >
    > Indeed, on reconsideration, it's remarkable how
    > good the image are!
    >
    > BugBear

    I bought aTZ9 (which is a version of the TZ8 I think) as a small carry about
    camera. Same thing, plenty of light - decent snaps: dull conditions - very
    poor in comparison. I blame the Mpixels. My other compact is a Canon G5
    which is a bit big to be a slip in the pocket job, but at only 5 Mpx it
    copes better with low light situations - also a much faster lens. As most
    compact owners don't want to print bigger than A4 then lower Mpx would
    produce better quality images. unfortunately most punters equate more Mpx
    with a better camera on the bigger the better principle, so manufactureres
    are going to continue with the 10+ Mpx compacts.

    John
    eatmorepies, Sep 21, 2011

  2. eatmorepies

    otter Guest

    On Sep 22, 4:17 am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    > eatmorepies wrote:
    > > My other compact is a Canon G5
    > > which is a bit big to be a slip in the pocket job, but at only 5 Mpx it
    > > copes better with low light situations - also a much faster lens.

    > Yeah, well. The Canon G series is a whole different
    > "level" of camera.
    >
    > If I happened to fall across a cheap s/h G9 or 10, I'd stop using the TZ8;-)
    >
    >     BugBear

    In low light you will get a lot of those "art effect" pictures with a
    G series camera as well. It is possible the TZ8 is even worse, though.
    otter, Sep 22, 2011

  3. eatmorepies

    Bruce Guest

    bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    >eatmorepies wrote:
    >> My other compact is a Canon G5
    >> which is a bit big to be a slip in the pocket job, but at only 5 Mpx it
    >> copes better with low light situations - also a much faster lens.

    >Yeah, well. The Canon G series is a whole different
    >"level" of camera.
    >
    >If I happened to fall across a cheap s/h G9 or 10, I'd stop using the TZ8 ;-)

    I like my G9 very much, and use it often, but I would not be so quick
    to dismiss the TZ8.

    The Panasonic LUMIX TZ-8, which was sold in the USA as the ZS-5, is
    almost the perfect travel zoom (hence "TZ"). It's 25-300mm
    (equivalent) Leica lens compares very favourably with the G9's
    35-200mm and it has plenty of options for creative control.

    Perhaps you should read the review of the TZ-8 on DPReview, then you
    might realise just how good your camera is!
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q210grouptravelzoom/page9.asp

    My only complaint would be that it has no RAW mode. RAW is useful for
    extracting every last ounce of image quality from a shot. But it is a
    very rare feature in the TZ-8's market sector.
    Bruce, Sep 22, 2011