Re: Bad 7200.11 Seagate Hard Drives, what to get now.?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Stephen Worthington, Feb 28, 2009.

  1. On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 17:29:46 +1300, OZZY Boy <>
    wrote:

    >Need to replace a Failed Seagate HD but with all the bad reports of 7200.11 drives what now do I
    >get the 2 shops that I looked at only had 7200.11 drives..

    There is a problem where recent Seagate drives fail but can be fixed
    by installing the latest firmware. They just stop working, but after
    installing the new firmware all the data is still there. So check if
    your failed drive is one of them.

    The 7200.11 drives up to 1 Tbyte are fine, as long as they are updated
    to the latest firmware (SD1A). I have done all my 7200.11 drives now,
    with no problems updating them. The ST31500341AS 1.5 Tbyte drive I
    have (CC1H firmware) is still a problem for different reasons. It has
    very slow write speed if I copy large files (> 600 Mibytes) to it,
    where the ST31000340AS drive (SD1A) has excellent speed at all times.

    Stephen Worthington, Feb 28, 2009

  2. Stephen Worthington

    eyes Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > The ST31500341AS 1.5 Tbyte drive I
    > have (CC1H firmware) is still a problem for different reasons. It has
    > very slow write speed if I copy large files (> 600 Mibytes) to it,
    > where the ST31000340AS drive (SD1A) has excellent speed at all times.

    Just installed a Seagate 1.5 TB on a new PC. Everything seemed fine
    until I noticed very slow writes. Turns out the BIOS was misconfigured
    by default. All SATA controllers were set to IDE mode and then OS
    detected the HD as PIO only.

    Fixed up the BIOS and all speed problems went away.

    I didn't do any speed tests, but have managed to do around 30MB/s
    network transfers once configured correctly.

    eyes, Feb 28, 2009

  3. In message <>, Stephen Worthington
    wrote:

    > The ST31500341AS 1.5 Tbyte drive I
    > have (CC1H firmware) is still a problem for different reasons. It has
    > very slow write speed if I copy large files (> 600 Mibytes) to it,
    > where the ST31000340AS drive (SD1A) has excellent speed at all times.

    Sounds like an OS issue. The drive can't tell whether you're copying small
    or large files to it, all it deals with is sectors.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 28, 2009
  4. On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 23:26:22 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <>, Stephen Worthington
    >wrote:
    >
    >> The ST31500341AS 1.5 Tbyte drive I
    >> have (CC1H firmware) is still a problem for different reasons. It has
    >> very slow write speed if I copy large files (> 600 Mibytes) to it,
    >> where the ST31000340AS drive (SD1A) has excellent speed at all times.

    >Sounds like an OS issue. The drive can't tell whether you're copying small
    >or large files to it, all it deals with is sectors.

    The information I have gleaned from the web says otherwise.
    Apparently, these drives have firmware that takes up to 30 seconds to
    respond after a command to flush the drive cache. This can cause some
    OSes (Linux and Vista in particular) to think that the drive has died
    under some circumstances, and also causes slow speeds whenever that
    command is used. Apparently XP does not use the flush command in
    normal operation, so it does not see this problem. Personally, I can
    not see how it can take up to 30 s to flush - that is just crappy
    firmware on Seagate's part. But apparently 30 s is still within the
    specification for IDE commands, so they are not volunteering to fix
    it. And I can also not see the need to do a flush in the middle of
    transferring a file - that seems to be a stupidity on Vista's part.

    Stephen Worthington, Feb 28, 2009
  5. On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 21:46:45 +1300, eyes <> wrote:

    >Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >> The ST31500341AS 1.5 Tbyte drive I
    >> have (CC1H firmware) is still a problem for different reasons. It has
    >> very slow write speed if I copy large files (> 600 Mibytes) to it,
    >> where the ST31000340AS drive (SD1A) has excellent speed at all times.

    >Just installed a Seagate 1.5 TB on a new PC. Everything seemed fine
    >until I noticed very slow writes. Turns out the BIOS was misconfigured
    >by default. All SATA controllers were set to IDE mode and then OS
    >detected the HD as PIO only.
    >
    >Fixed up the BIOS and all speed problems went away.
    >
    >I didn't do any speed tests, but have managed to do around 30MB/s
    >network transfers once configured correctly.

    My problem is not the BIOS settings - I am using AHCI mode, and the
    all my drives are using Ultra DMA Mode 6 according to the device
    driver. Hard Disk Sentinel reports that the SATA interface is running
    at 300 Mbyte/s, and the transfer speeds for smaller files are fine -
    well over 30 Mbyte/s.

    Some times for copying a 3,855,116,288 byte DVD image between my
    drives using the COPY command under TCMD 10.0:

    1) ST31000340AS to ST3500320AS: 57.61 s (63.81 Mbytes/s).
    2) ST3500320AS to ST31000340AS: 37.41 s (98.27 Mbytes/s).
    3) ST31000340AS to ST31500341AS: 375.76 s (9.78 Mbytes/s)!
    4) ST31500341AS to ST31000340AS: 116.57 s (31.54 Mbytes/s).
    5) ST31500341AS to ST3500320AS: 124.4 s (29.55 Mbytes/s)

    The above are not very well controlled benchmarks, as I had lots of
    software running and I also have 4 Gibytes of RAM, which means that
    Vista will cache a lot of even a large file. But the COPY command
    seems to not return until the cache has been flushed, and the times
    are pretty repeatable (within 1 or 2 seconds normally), so I think
    they are reasonably accurate. The 500 Gbyte drive is fast. The 1
    Tbyte drive screams along. But the 1.5 Tbyte drive, which has similar
    specs to the 1 Tbyte drive and should perform similarly, instead is
    dead slow. And you can see it starts off reasonably fast, similar to
    its read performance of about 30 Mbytes/s, then slows down as more
    data is transferred. Its transfer speed drops suddenly in the middle
    of the COPY, then continues at the slow speed.

    Stephen Worthington, Feb 28, 2009
  6. In message <>, Stephen Worthington
    wrote:

    > Apparently, these drives have firmware that takes up to 30 seconds to
    > respond after a command to flush the drive cache.

    Another reason why drives shouldn't be doing caching.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 28, 2009
  7. Stephen Worthington

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 21:46:45 +1300, eyes <> wrote:
    >
    >> Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >>> The ST31500341AS 1.5 Tbyte drive I
    >>> have (CC1H firmware) is still a problem for different reasons. It
    >>> has very slow write speed if I copy large files (> 600 Mibytes) to
    >>> it, where the ST31000340AS drive (SD1A) has excellent speed at all
    >>> times.

    >> Just installed a Seagate 1.5 TB on a new PC. Everything seemed fine
    >> until I noticed very slow writes. Turns out the BIOS was
    >> misconfigured by default. All SATA controllers were set to IDE mode
    >> and then OS detected the HD as PIO only.
    >>
    >> Fixed up the BIOS and all speed problems went away.
    >>
    >> I didn't do any speed tests, but have managed to do around 30MB/s
    >> network transfers once configured correctly.

    > My problem is not the BIOS settings - I am using AHCI mode, and the
    > all my drives are using Ultra DMA Mode 6 according to the device
    > driver.

    I can't seem to find that info under XP Pro SP3 on my desktop machine.
    Unlike older IDE interfaces where it gave me the mode the drive was running
    in (under the controller entry) all I'm seeing is "Intel(R) ICH9 SATA AHCI
    Controller" and, under general, it says "This device is working properly."

    HDS reports that the 1.5TB 7200.11 CC1G firmware (I upgraded it) disk is
    running at ATA Revision 7 with active UDMA mode being 300 MB/s. (It reports
    the same for the other disk I currently have installed, a 320MB 7200.10
    disk.)

    > Hard Disk Sentinel reports that the SATA interface is running
    > at 300 Mbyte/s, and the transfer speeds for smaller files are fine -
    > well over 30 Mbyte/s.
    >
    > Some times for copying a 3,855,116,288 byte DVD image between my
    > drives using the COPY command under TCMD 10.0:
    >
    > 1) ST31000340AS to ST3500320AS: 57.61 s (63.81 Mbytes/s).
    > 2) ST3500320AS to ST31000340AS: 37.41 s (98.27 Mbytes/s).
    > 3) ST31000340AS to ST31500341AS: 375.76 s (9.78 Mbytes/s)!
    > 4) ST31500341AS to ST31000340AS: 116.57 s (31.54 Mbytes/s).
    > 5) ST31500341AS to ST3500320AS: 124.4 s (29.55 Mbytes/s)

    So it's write speed you're interested in? I have the aforementioned fixed
    320GB disk and a hot-swap caddy. I'll try copying a folder from the fixed
    disk to the various SATA disks I have and timing it.

    Folder is 4.45GB and contains one compressed disk image. Using 'copy' and
    'paste' command in XP P SP3. All drives tested already have data on them to
    varying degrees so it's a crap shoot as to what part of the physical disk
    structure it's being written to.

    To ST31500341AS: 74s (61.57 Mbytes/s)
    To ST3500320AS: 76s (59.95 Mbytes/s)
    To ST3320620AS: 77s (59.17 Mbytes/s)

    And, just because I have it here, and old 7200.9 200GB SATA I disk (that's
    nearly full).

    To ST3200822AS: No result

    Odd. XP barfed on that saying there wasn't enough disk space even though
    there's over 40GB free. Perhaps it's due to the drive being formatted as a
    single FAT32 partition? I tried several times, even rebooting the computer
    with the HDD in situ (it's in a hot-swap bay, as were all the others
    tested).

    > The above are not very well controlled benchmarks, as I had lots of
    > software running and I also have 4 Gibytes of RAM, which means that
    > Vista will cache a lot of even a large file. But the COPY command
    > seems to not return until the cache has been flushed, and the times
    > are pretty repeatable (within 1 or 2 seconds normally), so I think
    > they are reasonably accurate. The 500 Gbyte drive is fast. The 1
    > Tbyte drive screams along. But the 1.5 Tbyte drive, which has similar
    > specs to the 1 Tbyte drive and should perform similarly, instead is
    > dead slow. And you can see it starts off reasonably fast, similar to
    > its read performance of about 30 Mbytes/s, then slows down as more
    > data is transferred. Its transfer speed drops suddenly in the middle
    > of the COPY, then continues at the slow speed.

    My tests were very unscientific too and should be considered as such.

    The above tests bear out what I've observed in general usage, all the HDDs
    seem about the same speed. Perhaps you should upgrade the firmware in your
    1.5TB drive?

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 28, 2009
  8. On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 10:18:46 +1300, "ofn01" <>
    wrote:

    >"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >message news:eek:...

    >>>Just installed a Seagate 1.5 TB on a new PC. Everything seemed fine
    >>>until I noticed very slow writes. Turns out the BIOS was misconfigured
    >>>by default. All SATA controllers were set to IDE mode and then OS
    >>>detected the HD as PIO only.
    >>>
    >>>Fixed up the BIOS and all speed problems went away.
    >>>
    >>>I didn't do any speed tests, but have managed to do around 30MB/s
    >>>network transfers once configured correctly.

    >> My problem is not the BIOS settings - I am using AHCI mode, and the
    >> all my drives are using Ultra DMA Mode 6 according to the device
    >> driver. Hard Disk Sentinel reports that the SATA interface is running
    >> at 300 Mbyte/s, and the transfer speeds for smaller files are fine -
    >> well over 30 Mbyte/s.
    >>

    >Are you sure you're in AHCI mode? In Device Manager it should say that the
    >controller is AHCI. Having UDMA6 indicates IDE mode (emulated for SATA
    >drives)

    Yes, it is in AHCI mode in the BIOS and the controller driver reports
    itself as "Intel IHC9 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 2922". The
    individual SATA ports show up as "ATA Channel <x>", and on those it
    says "ATA Disk Ultra DMA Mode 6" on the Advanced Settings tab for
    each port occupied by a hard disk.

    Stephen Worthington, Feb 28, 2009
  9. On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 12:56:25 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs Stephen Worthington wrote:

    >>> Just installed a Seagate 1.5 TB on a new PC. Everything seemed fine
    >>> until I noticed very slow writes. Turns out the BIOS was
    >>> misconfigured by default. All SATA controllers were set to IDE mode
    >>> and then OS detected the HD as PIO only.
    >>>
    >>> Fixed up the BIOS and all speed problems went away.
    >>>
    >>> I didn't do any speed tests, but have managed to do around 30MB/s
    >>> network transfers once configured correctly.

    >> My problem is not the BIOS settings - I am using AHCI mode, and the
    >> all my drives are using Ultra DMA Mode 6 according to the device
    >> driver.

    >I can't seem to find that info under XP Pro SP3 on my desktop machine.
    >Unlike older IDE interfaces where it gave me the mode the drive was running
    >in (under the controller entry) all I'm seeing is "Intel(R) ICH9 SATA AHCI
    >Controller" and, under general, it says "This device is working properly."
    >
    >HDS reports that the 1.5TB 7200.11 CC1G firmware (I upgraded it) disk is
    >running at ATA Revision 7 with active UDMA mode being 300 MB/s. (It reports
    >the same for the other disk I currently have installed, a 320MB 7200.10
    >disk.)
    >
    >> Hard Disk Sentinel reports that the SATA interface is running
    >> at 300 Mbyte/s, and the transfer speeds for smaller files are fine -
    >> well over 30 Mbyte/s.
    >>
    >> Some times for copying a 3,855,116,288 byte DVD image between my
    >> drives using the COPY command under TCMD 10.0:
    >>
    >> 1) ST31000340AS to ST3500320AS: 57.61 s (63.81 Mbytes/s).
    >> 2) ST3500320AS to ST31000340AS: 37.41 s (98.27 Mbytes/s).
    >> 3) ST31000340AS to ST31500341AS: 375.76 s (9.78 Mbytes/s)!
    >> 4) ST31500341AS to ST31000340AS: 116.57 s (31.54 Mbytes/s).
    >> 5) ST31500341AS to ST3500320AS: 124.4 s (29.55 Mbytes/s)

    >So it's write speed you're interested in? I have the aforementioned fixed
    >320GB disk and a hot-swap caddy. I'll try copying a folder from the fixed
    >disk to the various SATA disks I have and timing it.
    >
    >Folder is 4.45GB and contains one compressed disk image. Using 'copy' and
    >'paste' command in XP P SP3. All drives tested already have data on them to
    >varying degrees so it's a crap shoot as to what part of the physical disk
    >structure it's being written to.
    >
    >To ST31500341AS: 74s (61.57 Mbytes/s)
    >To ST3500320AS: 76s (59.95 Mbytes/s)
    >To ST3320620AS: 77s (59.17 Mbytes/s)

    Those numbers are pretty much what I would expect, except perhaps that
    the ST31500341AS might have been a bit faster, like my ST31000340AS.

    >And, just because I have it here, and old 7200.9 200GB SATA I disk (that's
    >nearly full).
    >
    >To ST3200822AS: No result
    >
    >Odd. XP barfed on that saying there wasn't enough disk space even though
    >there's over 40GB free. Perhaps it's due to the drive being formatted as a
    >single FAT32 partition? I tried several times, even rebooting the computer
    >with the HDD in situ (it's in a hot-swap bay, as were all the others
    >tested).

    FAT32 has a maximum file size of 4 Gibytes - so your test file is too
    big.

    >> The above are not very well controlled benchmarks, as I had lots of
    >> software running and I also have 4 Gibytes of RAM, which means that
    >> Vista will cache a lot of even a large file. But the COPY command
    >> seems to not return until the cache has been flushed, and the times
    >> are pretty repeatable (within 1 or 2 seconds normally), so I think
    >> they are reasonably accurate. The 500 Gbyte drive is fast. The 1
    >> Tbyte drive screams along. But the 1.5 Tbyte drive, which has similar
    >> specs to the 1 Tbyte drive and should perform similarly, instead is
    >> dead slow. And you can see it starts off reasonably fast, similar to
    >> its read performance of about 30 Mbytes/s, then slows down as more
    >> data is transferred. Its transfer speed drops suddenly in the middle
    >> of the COPY, then continues at the slow speed.

    >My tests were very unscientific too and should be considered as such.
    >
    >The above tests bear out what I've observed in general usage, all the HDDs
    >seem about the same speed. Perhaps you should upgrade the firmware in your
    >1.5TB drive?

    It is already CC1H. I returned my original CC1G drive under warranty
    on Seagate's recommendation, as it ran even slower! But CC1H does not
    seem to fix the problem either. I think I will need to talk to
    Seagate again.

    The reason you are getting reasonable speeds is that apparently XP, in
    normal use, does not use the IDE "flush cache" command that takes up
    to 30 s to respond on this drive. Vista and Linux do use "flush
    cache".

    Stephen Worthington, Mar 1, 2009
  10. On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 15:49:30 +1300, "ofn01" <>
    wrote:

    >"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 10:18:46 +1300, "ofn01" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >>>message news:eek:...

    >>>Are you sure you're in AHCI mode? In Device Manager it should say that the
    >>>controller is AHCI. Having UDMA6 indicates IDE mode (emulated for SATA
    >>>drives)

    >> Yes, it is in AHCI mode in the BIOS and the controller driver reports
    >> itself as "Intel IHC9 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 2922". The
    >> individual SATA ports show up as "ATA Channel <x>", and on those it
    >> says "ATA Disk Ultra DMA Mode 6" on the Advanced Settings tab for
    >> each port occupied by a hard disk.

    >Which driver is it using - iastor.sys or msahci.sys ?

    msahci.sys is what the "Intel IHC9 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 2922"
    driver reports, along with atapi.sys, ataport.sys and pciidex.sys.

    Stephen Worthington, Mar 1, 2009
  11. Stephen Worthington

    Richard Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:
> [...]

    >>> data is transferred. Its transfer speed drops suddenly in the middle
    >>> of the COPY, then continues at the slow speed.

    >> My tests were very unscientific too and should be considered as such.
    >>
    >> The above tests bear out what I've observed in general usage, all the HDDs
    >> seem about the same speed. Perhaps you should upgrade the firmware in your
    >> 1.5TB drive?

    > It is already CC1H. I returned my original CC1G drive under warranty
    > on Seagate's recommendation, as it ran even slower! But CC1H does not
    > seem to fix the problem either. I think I will need to talk to
    > Seagate again.
    >
    > The reason you are getting reasonable speeds is that apparently XP, in
    > normal use, does not use the IDE "flush cache" command that takes up
    > to 30 s to respond on this drive. Vista and Linux do use "flush

    I saw random freezes and disconnections with the tray icon about a drive
    becoming unaccessable in server2003 with them, so its not just vista and
    linux that see issues with them.

    I am just glad that my retailer took them back with no problems and sold
    me some WD's instead.

    Richard, Mar 1, 2009
  12. Stephen Worthington

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 12:56:25 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Stephen Worthington wrote:

    >>> My problem is not the BIOS settings - I am using AHCI mode, and the
    >>> all my drives are using Ultra DMA Mode 6 according to the device
    >>> driver.

    >> I can't seem to find that info under XP Pro SP3 on my desktop
    >> machine. Unlike older IDE interfaces where it gave me the mode the
    >> drive was running in (under the controller entry) all I'm seeing is
    >> "Intel(R) ICH9 SATA AHCI Controller" and, under general, it says
    >> "This device is working properly."
    >>
    >> HDS reports that the 1.5TB 7200.11 CC1G firmware (I upgraded it)
    >> disk is running at ATA Revision 7 with active UDMA mode being 300
    >> MB/s. (It reports the same for the other disk I currently have
    >> installed, a 320MB 7200.10 disk.)
    >>
    >>> Hard Disk Sentinel reports that the SATA interface is running
    >>> at 300 Mbyte/s, and the transfer speeds for smaller files are fine -
    >>> well over 30 Mbyte/s.
    >>>
    >>> Some times for copying a 3,855,116,288 byte DVD image between my
    >>> drives using the COPY command under TCMD 10.0:
    >>>
    >>> 1) ST31000340AS to ST3500320AS: 57.61 s (63.81 Mbytes/s).
    >>> 2) ST3500320AS to ST31000340AS: 37.41 s (98.27 Mbytes/s).
    >>> 3) ST31000340AS to ST31500341AS: 375.76 s (9.78 Mbytes/s)!
    >>> 4) ST31500341AS to ST31000340AS: 116.57 s (31.54 Mbytes/s).
    >>> 5) ST31500341AS to ST3500320AS: 124.4 s (29.55 Mbytes/s)

    >> So it's write speed you're interested in? I have the aforementioned
    >> fixed 320GB disk and a hot-swap caddy. I'll try copying a folder
    >> from the fixed disk to the various SATA disks I have and timing it.
    >>
    >> Folder is 4.45GB and contains one compressed disk image. Using
    >> 'copy' and 'paste' command in XP P SP3. All drives tested already
    >> have data on them to varying degrees so it's a crap shoot as to what
    >> part of the physical disk structure it's being written to.
    >>
    >> To ST31500341AS: 74s (61.57 Mbytes/s)
    >> To ST3500320AS: 76s (59.95 Mbytes/s)
    >> To ST3320620AS: 77s (59.17 Mbytes/s)

    > Those numbers are pretty much what I would expect, except perhaps that
    > the ST31500341AS might have been a bit faster, like my ST31000340AS.

    Probably to do with where on the HDD the data's being written (as I
    mentioned, all drives had varying amounts of data on them, probably a bit
    fragmented too as I don't defrag non-boot/programme drives. I benched the
    drives with HDDTach and the 500s get over 100 Mbyte/s at the start of the
    curve but it drops off pretty quickly. It drops as low as under 50 at the
    end of the drive.

    >> And, just because I have it here, and old 7200.9 200GB SATA I disk
    >> (that's nearly full).
    >>
    >> To ST3200822AS: No result
    >>
    >> Odd. XP barfed on that saying there wasn't enough disk space even
    >> though there's over 40GB free. Perhaps it's due to the drive being
    >> formatted as a single FAT32 partition? I tried several times, even
    >> rebooting the computer with the HDD in situ (it's in a hot-swap bay,
    >> as were all the others tested).

    > FAT32 has a maximum file size of 4 Gibytes - so your test file is too
    > big.

    D'oh! I knew that too! Senility is creeping in.....

    >>> The above are not very well controlled benchmarks, as I had lots of
    >>> software running and I also have 4 Gibytes of RAM, which means that
    >>> Vista will cache a lot of even a large file. But the COPY command
    >>> seems to not return until the cache has been flushed, and the times
    >>> are pretty repeatable (within 1 or 2 seconds normally), so I think
    >>> they are reasonably accurate. The 500 Gbyte drive is fast. The 1
    >>> Tbyte drive screams along. But the 1.5 Tbyte drive, which has
    >>> similar specs to the 1 Tbyte drive and should perform similarly,
    >>> instead is dead slow. And you can see it starts off reasonably
    >>> fast, similar to its read performance of about 30 Mbytes/s, then
    >>> slows down as more data is transferred. Its transfer speed drops
    >>> suddenly in the middle of the COPY, then continues at the slow
    >>> speed.

    >> My tests were very unscientific too and should be considered as such.
    >>
    >> The above tests bear out what I've observed in general usage, all
    >> the HDDs seem about the same speed. Perhaps you should upgrade the
    >> firmware in your
    >> 1.5TB drive?

    > It is already CC1H. I returned my original CC1G drive under warranty
    > on Seagate's recommendation, as it ran even slower! But CC1H does not
    > seem to fix the problem either. I think I will need to talk to
    > Seagate again.
    >
    > The reason you are getting reasonable speeds is that apparently XP, in
    > normal use, does not use the IDE "flush cache" command that takes up
    > to 30 s to respond on this drive. Vista and Linux do use "flush
    > cache".

    It's a good job that I'm happy with XP then huh? ;-)

    Cheers Stephen,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Mar 1, 2009
  13. On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 18:09:29 +1300, "ofn01" <>
    wrote:

    >"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 15:49:30 +1300, "ofn01" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >>>message news:...

    >>>Which driver is it using - iastor.sys or msahci.sys ?
    >>>

    >> msahci.sys is what the "Intel IHC9 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 2922"
    >> driver reports, along with atapi.sys, ataport.sys and pciidex.sys.

    >OK, maybe that is why you have the UDMA options.
    >
    >I loaded the latest Intel AHCI drivers when installing vista (as well as the
    >JMicron ones for my secondary SATA ports.
    >
    >This was with AHCI enabled in the BIOS
    >
    >I have iastor.sys as my AHCI driver which is the native driver for my ICH9R
    >controller (and jraid.sys for the Jmicron controllers - on which I have my
    >esata backup drive).
    >
    >The msahci.sys driver is the vanilla AHCI driver that ships with vista - I
    >am not sure what the performance/quirks of this driver are though....
    >(though I fully expect some Linux nut to jump in with some opinions ;-)

    That is interesting, as it should not be a vanilla driver. I
    downloaded the ones on the Asus site recommended for this motherboard,
    which turned out to be an Intel install file. Asus do not update the
    drivers very often though, once they have moved on to newer
    motherboards, so I am off to the Intel site to see what is current.

    [Later]

    The installed drivers were 8.3.0, and it looks like the latest from
    Intel are 8.6.1. So I will try updating to them.

    Stephen Worthington, Mar 1, 2009