Re: Backup PIX 515 to redhat 9 linux server

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Stevan Popovic, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. (Bill E) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (Stevan Popovic) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > (Bill E) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > > I'm using this same setup at my work place and it works very well.
    > > >
    > > > logging on
    > > > logging monitor critical
    > > > logging trap warnings
    > > > logging history warnings
    > > > logging facility "Choose a logging facility between 16 and 23"
    > > > logging host inside "IP address of your syslog server"
    > > >
    > > > Now you need to enable your syslog server to listen for remote
    > > > traffic.
    > > > add -r to the "syslogd_options" in /etc/sysconfig/syslog and restart
    > > > the service with "service syslog restart". Now check and see if you
    > > > are receiving external messages.
    > > > Good Luck!

    > > There are some existing logging commands setup.
    > > How do you remove those eg logging hostname ?
    > >
    > > TIA

    > Go to configuration mode and use the "no" form of the command.
    > i.e. "no logging on".

    I have noticed one thing regarding the logging I have specified the
    logging to go to /var/log/local7.debug but
    /var/log/messages
    /var/log/boot.log

    Is also logging identical data from the PIX

    The syslog.conf looks like

    more /etc/syslog.conf
    # Log all kernel messages to the console.
    # Logging much else clutters up the screen.
    #kern.* /dev/console

    # Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
    # Don't log private authentication messages!
    *.info;mail.none;news.none;authpriv.none;cron.none
    /var/log/messages

    # The authpriv file has restricted access.
    authpriv.*
    /var/log/secure

    # Log all the mail messages in one place.
    mail.*
    /var/log/maillog

    # Log cron stuff
    cron.* /var/log/cron

    # Everybody gets emergency messages
    *.emerg *

    # Save news errors of level crit and higher in a special file.
    uucp,news.crit
    /var/log/spooler

    # Save boot messages also to boot.log
    local7.*