Re: Backup emails from Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by TeeJay1952, Apr 3, 2014.

  1. TeeJay1952

    TeeJay1952 Guest

    On 4/2/2014 10:44 AM, Ragnar wrote:
    > Can't find my answer in Mozilla Help.
    >
    > I have hundreds of emails backed up to folders on a separate device.
    > Backing up was easy in Outlook Express (which I used to use) and Windows
    > Mail - I can just drag and drop into my chosen folder.
    >
    > Now I am trying Thunderbird but find I can only drag and drop emails one
    > at a time, not a batch of say fifty. With hundreds of emails this is
    > going to take an excessive amount of time.
    >
    > Thunderbird has an Archive feature but it does not place the archived
    > files where I want them. How can I gain control of my email program?
    >
    > TIA
    > R.
    >
    > ---
    > protection is active.

    MozBackup
    TeeJay1952, Apr 3, 2014

  2. TeeJay1952

    VanguardLH Guest

    TeeJay1952 wrote:

    > Ragnar wrote:
    >
    >> I have hundreds of emails backed up to folders on a separate device.
    >> Backing up ... Thunderbird but find I can only drag and drop emails
    >> one at a time, not a batch of say fifty. With hundreds of emails
    >> this is going to take an excessive amount of time.

    > MozBackup

    http://mozbackup.sourceforge.net/
    It's free.

    Like many backup progams, they require the e-mail client to be unloaded
    so its files are not inuse at the time of backing them up. MozBackup
    requires you exit TB before it can back it up.

    In a batch file (that you create a shortcut or add as an event in Task
    Scheduler), you could first run "taskkill.exe /im thunderbird.exe" to
    force TB to exit followed by executing MozBackup. Alas, MozBackup is an
    mostly interactive program so the user has to be around to pick what
    action to perform in MozBackup. It has no command-line switches to
    pre-define what it should do. It does, however, support reading an INI
    file where you can pre-answer the prompts, which is mentioned at:

    http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/command-line-backup.php

    Alas, you still have to exit TB and killing its process is less than a
    graceful exit.
    VanguardLH, Apr 3, 2014

  3. TeeJay1952

    VanguardLH Guest

    Ragnar wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >
    >> TeeJay1952 wrote:

    >>> MozBackup

    >> http://mozbackup.sourceforge.net/
    >> It's free.

    > Perhaps I didn't make myself clear Teejay and Vanguard.
    > I do NOT want to backup my profile(s) which is what Mozbackup does.
    > I want to backup one single folder ONLY to a separate device (CD, Cloud,
    > whatever) along with all other files/documents/spreadsheets relevant to
    > a particular job.

    A "folder" inside of Thunderbird (which really isn't a folder but just
    how to organize the data). If so, see if the following add-on does what
    you want:

    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools/

    Or a folder in the file system in the partition? That should be easy as
    long as the files inside of that folder aren't inuse (locked).

    > ---

    Not a valid signature delimiter line.
    > h**p://www.avast.c*m

    Reconfigure Avast to remove the spam; else, your posts are spam.
    VanguardLH, Apr 3, 2014
  4. TeeJay1952

    VanguardLH Guest

    Ragnar wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >
    >> Ragnar wrote:
    >>
    >>> I do NOT want to backup my profile(s) which is what Mozbackup does.
    >>> I want to backup one single folder ONLY to a separate device (CD, Cloud,
    >>> whatever) along with all other files/documents/spreadsheets relevant to
    >>> a particular job.

    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools/

    > Vanguard the add-on you suggested does EXACTLY what I wanted! Now why
    > wasn't that a standard feature I wonder?

    We users are still waiting for Mozilla to address bugzilla tickets
    opened back in 2002. Why does Mozilla think checking for an update
    means to retrieve and install it? Why did they take away the tray icon
    that is returned by having to install an add-on? Why weren't Lightning
    and Znotes pre-installed with TB to make it a PIM worthy of competing
    against Outlook? 7 out of the 9 add-ons I've installed are to regain or
    add features that should've been left in or included in TB. Thanks to
    all the add-on authors for giving us what Mozilla omitted, doesn't
    address, or taketh away.

    > ---
    > h**p://www.av*st.c*m

    Ahem. Still spamming, I see.