Re: B&H visit...WOW ! ! !

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Polytone, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. Polytone

    Polytone Guest

    I am not a Jew, but whenever I go to B&H or Adorama I make it a point to
    greet and leave all employees with "Shalom". I find that I get better
    treatment.

    Polytone, Jul 30, 2003

  2. Polytone

    Polytone Guest

    No. I could pass for a jew.

    Polytone, Jul 30, 2003

  3. Polytone

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Polytone writes:

    > No. I could pass for a jew.

    Except when you say "shalom." I can pass for Italian until I try to
    speak Italian.

    Mxsmanic, Jul 31, 2003
  4. Polytone

    Rafe B. Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 01:18:48 +0200, Mxsmanic <>
    wrote:

    >Polytone writes:
    >
    >> No. I could pass for a jew.

    >Except when you say "shalom." I can pass for Italian until I try to
    >speak Italian.

    What's so hard to say about "shalom" ?

    Among Hebrew words, its English spelling is
    dead-on phonetic, and is pronounced exactly
    as you'd expect. Just make sure to use a
    long o (as in "home".)

    Now if you want a couple of slightly more
    challenging words in Hebrew, try the word
    for life (chai) or friend, or the number 'one',
    or Chanukah. These are words that
    Europeans trip over.

    And of course there are the Ashkenazi vs.
    Sephardic variations, so there's no real
    way to get any of it right <G>.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    Rafe B., Jul 31, 2003
  5. Polytone

    Lisa Duskis Guest

    oh great, now ya got hubby speaking in hebrew :p

    Lisa Duskis, Jul 31, 2003
  6. Polytone

    Abrasha Guest

    "Rafe B." wrote:

    > On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 01:18:48 +0200, Mxsmanic <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Polytone writes:
    > >
    > >> No. I could pass for a jew.

    > >Except when you say "shalom." I can pass for Italian until I try to
    > >speak Italian.

    > What's so hard to say about "shalom" ?
    >
    > Among Hebrew words, its English spelling is
    > dead-on phonetic, and is pronounced exactly
    > as you'd expect. Just make sure to use a
    > long o (as in "home".)

    Dead wrong! that's the way Americans say it. Ah, America, the "Land of
    Cultural Amnesia"

    > Now if you want a couple of slightly more
    > challenging words in Hebrew, try the word
    > for life (chai) or friend, or the number 'one',
    > or Chanukah. These are words that
    > Europeans trip over.

    How so?

    > And of course there are the Ashkenazi vs.
    > Sephardic variations,

    Ashkenazi and Sephardic variations of Hebrew? That's new to me. Are you sure
    you know what you are talking about.

    > so there's no real
    > way to get any of it right <G>.

    Travel to Israel, if you want to hear Hebrew spoken the correct way.

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com
    Abrasha, Jul 31, 2003
  7. Polytone

    Jeff Guest

    Rafe B. wrote:

    > I was born in Haifa. But haven't been back there for many moons.

    How far back are you going?

    I was born in Cyprus '48. Moved to Haifa 7 months later and left Israel in '58.
    Haven't been back since either.

    Shalom ve laila tov.

    Jeff.
    Jeff, Jul 31, 2003
  8. Polytone

    Abrasha Guest

    Jeff wrote:

    > Rafe B. wrote:
    >
    > > I was born in Haifa. But haven't been back there for many moons.
    > >

    > How far back are you going?
    >
    > I was born in Cyprus '48. Moved to Haifa 7 months later and left Israel in '58.
    > Haven't been back since either.
    >
    > Shalom ve laila tov.
    >
    > Jeff.

    Were your parents passengers on the Exodus? Or another ship that was not
    allowed to enter Palestine?
    --
    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com
    Abrasha, Jul 31, 2003
  9. Polytone

    Jeff Guest

    Abrasha wrote:

    > Were your parents passengers on the Exodus? Or another ship that was not
    > allowed to enter Palestine?

    Not the "Exodus", but another ship with the same story.

    Born in a British camp in Cyprus.

    Jeff.
    Jeff, Jul 31, 2003
  10. Polytone

    Polytone Guest

    > > What's so hard to say about "shalom" ?
    > >
    > > Among Hebrew words, its English spelling is
    > > dead-on phonetic, and is pronounced exactly
    > > as you'd expect. Just make sure to use a
    > > long o (as in "home".)

    > Dead wrong! that's the way Americans say it. Ah, America, the "Land of
    > Cultural Amnesia"

    HELLO! B&H IS IN AMERICA....SO THE AMERICAN PRONUNCIATION IS SATISFACTORY!
    Polytone, Jul 31, 2003
  11. Polytone

    Polytone Guest

    My penis is circumcized. Most Americans have cut cocks. Christians too. It
    eliminates "cheese dick". Unlike you smelly funky Europeans.

    Polytone, Jul 31, 2003
  12. Polytone

    Lionel Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:39:27 GMT, in
    <zS9Wa.2801$>, "Polytone"
    <> said:

    >My penis is circum[snip]

    Great. Like we haven't got enough trolls in here already.

    Lionel, Aug 1, 2003
  13. Polytone

    Mike Fields Guest

    Yeah, but he is using a different "bait" now ...

    Mike Fields, Aug 1, 2003
  14. Polytone

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Rafe B. writes:

    > What's so hard to say about "shalom" ?

    Nothing, but it sounds either patronizing or obsequious when uncalled
    for.

    Mxsmanic, Aug 1, 2003
  15. Polytone

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Rafe B. writes:

    > How many Americans can properly pronounce
    > the word German "achtung"? Or properly
    > pronounce the surname "Bach" or "Koch?"

    Lots of them. Fricatives are not that hard to pronounce. I don't think
    the more posterior fricatives sound very pretty and I don't care for
    languages that use them frequently, but that's a separate issue.

    Mxsmanic, Aug 1, 2003
  16. Polytone

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Dierk Haasis writes:

    > You go in with your trousers down?

    That wouldn't help in the U.S., if you are referring to circumcision.
    Most American men are circumcised, whether they are Jewish or not.

    Mxsmanic, Aug 1, 2003
  17. Mxsmanic <> wrote in message
    > Rafe B. writes:
    >
    > > How many Americans can properly pronounce
    > > the word German "achtung"? Or properly
    > > pronounce the surname "Bach" or "Koch?"

    > Lots of them. Fricatives are not that hard to pronounce. I don't think
    > the more posterior fricatives sound very pretty and I don't care for
    > languages that use them frequently, but that's a separate issue.

    Yeah.....After, "Hogan's Heros", all of us Americans can pronounce
    German.......
    William Graham, Aug 1, 2003
  18. Polytone

    Dierk Haasis Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:39:27 GMT, "Polytone" <>
    wrote:

    >My penis is circumcized. Most Americans have cut cocks. Christians too. It
    >eliminates "cheese dick". Unlike you smelly funky Europeans.

    I now know much more about you then I ever asked for. But I like the
    way you answer a completely honest question with a very slight
    offense.

    How do you know I am European?

    --

    Dierk
    Dierk Haasis, Aug 1, 2003
  19. Polytone

    xyz Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:58:15 GMT, "Polytone" <>
    wrote:

    >I am not a Jew, but whenever I go to B&H or Adorama I make it a point to
    >greet and leave all employees with "Shalom". I find that I get better
    >treatment.

    I must have missed the original post so not sure what was the exact
    context of the post. I purchase from B&H and the service is very
    good. I think it would be sad to only get "better" treatment if you
    say shalom. Does that mean you will not get too good treatment if you
    "don't" say shalom? I say treat all customers the same.

    xyz, Aug 1, 2003
  20. As an Australian, all I can say is:
    Thank God such prejudice as displayed in this thread is in another country.
    I would surely hate to live where people were not free to conduct their
    business according to whatever rules they decide are appropriate. Religion
    aside, what is the issue here?
    DM

    Russian? nah... Just fast!, Aug 2, 2003