Re: AVI Files

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by M.L., Apr 6, 2008.

  1. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >> Would appreciate some assistance with this - I have a number of AVI
    >> files, but they are not named in the manner I'm used to.
    >>
    >> They are: File Name.avi.001 File Name.avi.002 File name.avi.003
    >> and so forth. I'm assuming if I rename the files by deleting the last
    >> four characters (.001 .002 .003) they will play. However, if I do
    >> this, will it impact on the assembly/combining of all the files into
    >> one video?
    >>
    >> I'm not that familiar with avi files and would appreciate any
    >> assistance rendered,

    > For Windoze use HJ Split to combine the AVI files into one.
    > For Linux use the cat command $ cat *avi* > watchme.avi.

    I continue to be amazed by how people who chop files with HJsplit don't
    indicate so or give details on how to recombine them. I also don't
    undestand why they don't use a chopper like Chainsaw, which doesn't
    require the recipient to download another app in order to recombine the
    parts.
    M.L., Apr 6, 2008

  2. M.L.

    chuckcar Guest

    On 06 Apr 2008, you wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> Would appreciate some assistance with this - I have a number of AVI
    >>> files, but they are not named in the manner I'm used to.
    >>>
    >>> They are: File Name.avi.001 File Name.avi.002 File
    >>> name.avi.003 and so forth. I'm assuming if I rename the files by
    >>> deleting the last four characters (.001 .002 .003) they will play.
    >>> However, if I do this, will it impact on the assembly/combining of
    >>> all the files into one video?
    >>>
    >>> I'm not that familiar with avi files and would appreciate any
    >>> assistance rendered,

    >> For Windoze use HJ Split to combine the AVI files into one.
    >> For Linux use the cat command $ cat *avi* > watchme.avi.

    > I continue to be amazed by how people who chop files with HJsplit
    > don't indicate so or give details on how to recombine them. I also
    > don't undestand why they don't use a chopper like Chainsaw, which
    > doesn't require the recipient to download another app in order to
    > recombine the parts.

    Any group I've seen them in, it certainly has been mentioned either in
    the FAQ for the group, or by text posts. Maybe not with *each* posting,
    but certainly for someone who's there at least once a week, it's
    obvious.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Apr 6, 2008

  3. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >>> For Windoze use HJ Split to combine the AVI files into one.
    >>> For Linux use the cat command $ cat *avi* > watchme.avi.

    >>I continue to be amazed by how people who chop files with HJsplit
    >>don't
    >>indicate so or give details on how to recombine them. I also don't
    >>undestand why they don't use a chopper like Chainsaw, which doesn't
    >>require the recipient to download another app in order to recombine
    >>the
    >>parts.

    > I'm amazed at the number of people who don't know how to use Google
    > (or Yahoo or MSN) to figure this stuff out.

    Look at it from the confused downloader's point of view. Why would
    someone presented with a sequence of filenames assume that google will
    tell them what to do with them? How would they even know the keywords to
    use for such a search?
    M.L., Apr 6, 2008
  4. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >> I continue to be amazed by how people who chop files with HJsplit
    >> don't indicate so or give details on how to recombine them. I also
    >> don't undestand why they don't use a chopper like Chainsaw, which
    >> doesn't require the recipient to download another app in order to
    >> recombine the parts.
    >>

    > Any group I've seen them in, it certainly has been mentioned either in
    > the FAQ for the group, or by text posts. Maybe not with *each*
    > posting,
    > but certainly for someone who's there at least once a week, it's
    > obvious.

    That has not been my experience.
    M.L., Apr 6, 2008
  5. M.L.

    Fred Kasner Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    >>> For Windoze use HJ Split to combine the AVI files into one.
    >>> For Linux use the cat command $ cat *avi* > watchme.avi.

    >> I continue to be amazed by how people who chop files with HJsplit
    >> don't indicate so or give details on how to recombine them. I also
    >> don't undestand why they don't use a chopper like Chainsaw, which
    >> doesn't require the recipient to download another app in order to
    >> recombine the parts.

    > You don't *need* another app to join .001 files, it can be done from the
    > command line. It's just easier, especially for newbies, to use a small
    > app that does the thinking for them. Command line:
    >
    > COPY /C:/Temp File name.avi.001 + File name.avi.002 + File name.avi.003
    > File name.avi
    >
    > There are other shortcuts to cut down on the typing, but HJsplit is
    > easier. Or Mastersplitter. Or others.

    Nice try but wrong. The command order should be: COPY File
    name.avi.001 + File name.avi.002 + .../b Destination File name.avi/b

    The order if summed files then destination file. And the /b is vital. If
    it is left out you may not copy binary files but ASCII files and as soon
    as a terminator symbol appears the copy will stop and you will not get a
    complete file. The /b tells the copy program to copy ALL of the file and
    and not cut it short.
    FK
    Fred Kasner, Apr 6, 2008
  6. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >>> Any group I've seen them in, it certainly has been mentioned either
    >>> in
    >>> the FAQ for the group, or by text posts. Maybe not with *each*
    >>> posting,
    >>> but certainly for someone who's there at least once a week, it's
    >>> obvious.

    >>That has not been my experience.

    > All the porn group's main group FAQ mentions the various archive
    > programs.

    Just visited two fairly known warez sites. Neither had an FAQ listed in
    their menu.
    M.L., Apr 7, 2008
  7. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >>> I'm amazed at the number of people who don't know how to use Google
    >>> (or Yahoo or MSN) to figure this stuff out.

    >>Look at it from the confused downloader's point of view. Why would
    >>someone presented with a sequence of filenames assume that google will
    >>tell them what to do with them? How would they even know the keywords
    >>use for such a search?

    > Google What is a .001 file?
    > Pretty simple to me.
    > The problem is many users don't want to learn how to do things, they
    > just want to be told HOW to do them. Learning is foreign to many
    > today.

    Yes, it's simple to you because you're not looking at the problem from a
    newbie's eyes. How would a newbie even know that a list of sequentially
    numbered files is looking for a solution? They were only looking to
    download and view a single avi file. They might think the uploader
    simply made a mistake. Pay close attention to what the OP thought the
    problem was.

    They might not even know what Google is. Googling on a .001 file is
    quite a leap for a newbie since there could be numerous reasons why a
    file might be numbered ending with 001. The OP did the right thing by
    asking in an appropriate newsgroup.
    M.L., Apr 7, 2008
  8. M.L.

    PeeCee Guest

    "Lookout" <> wrote in message

    snip

    > The problem is many users don't want to learn how to do things, they
    > just want to be told HOW to do them. Learning is foreign to many
    > today.

    I would have said: don't want to learn how things work, they just want a fix
    it list, but your sentiments are just so right.

    So many just want to press a button and have it 'appear'
    Then they moan bitterly about how much it costs to get someone to sort it
    when the button won't work anymore.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Apr 7, 2008
  9. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >>> Google What is a .001 file?
    >>> Pretty simple to me.
    >>> The problem is many users don't want to learn how to do things, they
    >>> just want to be told HOW to do them. Learning is foreign to many
    >>> today.

    >>Yes, it's simple to you because you're not looking at the problem from
    >>newbie's eyes. How would a newbie even know that a list of
    >>sequentially
    >>numbered files is looking for a solution? They were only looking to
    >>download and view a single avi file. They might think the uploader
    >>simply made a mistake. Pay close attention to what the OP thought the
    >>problem was.
    >>
    >>They might not even know what Google is. Googling on a .001 file is
    >>quite a leap for a newbie since there could be numerous reasons why a
    >>file might be numbered ending with 001. The OP did the right thing by
    >>asking in an appropriate newsgroup.

    > A. He should have asked in the group where he got the file.

    There's no telling if there was a tech support communication path from
    where he downloaded the file.

    > B. If he doesn't know what a search engine is he should head for his
    > local college and take a basic computer course.

    Why waste time and money applying for a college course when you taught
    him about Google here in just a few seconds? His question is exactly
    what tech newsgroups are for.
    M.L., Apr 7, 2008
  10. M.L.

    chuckcar Guest

    "M.L." <> wrote in

    >>> I continue to be amazed by how people who chop files with HJsplit
    >>> don't indicate so or give details on how to recombine them. I also
    >>> don't undestand why they don't use a chopper like Chainsaw, which
    >>> doesn't require the recipient to download another app in order to
    >>> recombine the parts.
    >>>

    >> Any group I've seen them in, it certainly has been mentioned either
    >> in the FAQ for the group, or by text posts. Maybe not with *each*
    >> posting,
    >> but certainly for someone who's there at least once a week, it's
    >> obvious.

    > That has not been my experience.

    Name a group that doesn't.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Apr 8, 2008
  11. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >>> Any group I've seen them in, it certainly has been mentioned either
    >>> in the FAQ for the group, or by text posts. Maybe not with *each*
    >>> posting,
    >>> but certainly for someone who's there at least once a week, it's
    >>> obvious.

    >> That has not been my experience.
    >>

    > Name a group that doesn't.

    I wasn't talking about a newsgroup since I never download from them, I
    was talking about my experiences with web download sites and P2P.
    M.L., Apr 9, 2008