Re: AVG finally installed on slow Asus Vista laptop - only took about 2 and 1/2 hours LOL.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Doe, May 27, 2008.

  1. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <1211885862.861650@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    > She claimed right from the start that she was told that AVG 8 wasn't free.
    > Even with it looking at her on the AVG website she still wouldn't believe
    > it. The file size was 45.5 MB. I thought thank God she's got the mighty
    > Boardband, thinking it wouldn't take more than half an hour at the very
    > most. It ended up taking about 1 hour and 15 minutes at a speed of 10KB/s
    > on Vodafoney. It was only about twice the speed of fucking dial up. With
    > only 512MB everything is in real slow slow motion on that thing. It's now
    > running about 72 processes once it finally starts and loads Vista etc.
    > When installing AVG 8 I got to the last step when it said a fucking patch
    > update KB92957 or something from MS was needed, otherwise the thing could
    > run slow, especially on the net. As if it wasn't already slow enough.
    > After clicking too run the file you get used to waiting close to 2 minutes
    > before the circle that replaced the good hour glass cursor appears. Got the
    > patch from MS, but then it wanted Vista restarted. God another real slow
    > wait. Then completeed the installation of AVG giving the tool bar scanner
    > link option thing the miss that someone had mentioned (thanks for that).
    > Had to restart the bastard yet again. After that I updated the AVG files.
    > To be fair the speed of the patch from MS downloaded at about 98KB/s which
    > is fairly impressive, but it was such a small file it hardly mattered.
    > Bloody relief to see it all done with the AVG icon sitting in the system
    > tray. I only put AVG on it instead of Avira because that's what she's used
    > to.

    Yeah, you try and find a link from the AVG site to their free site - I
    haven't seen one.

    BTW: if you dl AVG free again, get it from download.com - much bloody
    quicker, not the crippled speed you get from wherever AVG dish it up
    from. Just search for 'avg free'.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, May 27, 2008

  2. Dave Doe

    sam Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:

> [...]

    >> BTW: if you dl AVG free again, get it from download.com - much bloody
    >> quicker, not the crippled speed you get from wherever AVG dish it up
    >> from. Just search for 'avg free'.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Duncan

    > When I did a search just on "avg" here the other day. I saw
    > Hippofile.com(or something like that), it looked promising to download
    > it from, same file and size.
    > I got it from AVG (Grisoft) instead, which I'm linked to CNet.com for
    > the actual download. Going to download at AVG took me to the page with
    > all the versions of 8 and what the limitations of each one was.
    > It may have been doingit at night and getting the download from CNet
    > which made the actual download so slow.
    > So much for Labour wanting faster Boadband. It hardly helps if not all
    > websites can offer full download speeds as well.

    Yeah, lets use dialup and make all sites slow !!
    Nice one Scrooge

    sam, May 27, 2008

  3. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <1211923678.680266@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

> [...]

    > Hippofile.com(or something like that), it looked promising to download it
    > from, same file and size.
    > I got it from AVG (Grisoft) instead, which I'm linked to CNet.com for the
    > actual download. Going to download at AVG took me to the page with all the
    > versions of 8 and what the limitations of each one was.
    > It may have been doingit at night and getting the download from CNet which
    > made the actual download so slow.
    > So much for Labour wanting faster Boadband. It hardly helps if not all
    > websites can offer full download speeds as well.
    >
    > Don't know how she's been getting on with Vista updates, as I had to
    > download the genuine valiadtion software from MS before I could get the
    > patch. That required a damn restart of the slow bastard as well.
    >
    > Here's the page with all the versions and download options, only the free
    > download link isn't as obvious as the other 2.

    Honestly - this is a *lot* faster, scuse long link:

    10320142.html?tag=lst-1&cdlPid=10834624

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, May 28, 2008
  4. In article <>,
    says...

    > Yeah, you try and find a link from the AVG site to their free site - I
    > haven't seen one.
    >
    > BTW: if you dl AVG free again, get it from download.com - much bloody
    > quicker, not the crippled speed you get from wherever AVG dish it up
    > from. Just search for 'avg free'.

    Er??? I downloaded AVG_free8 from free.grisoft.com at around
    200kB/sec.

    Then I tried to install it. It identifies my WinXP Pro (SP1) as
    being Win2k and tells me I must install rollup SP4 before it
    will work. Ha!

    AVG 7.5 now wants a reboot every time I download new
    definitions. PLUS it bugs me with nag screens.

    Now I read comments from some people on the net who claim AVG8
    takes about 4 times longer to do its thing than 7.5 ...

    I am losing patience with those fellows. They must have a new
    marketing droid at the helm, or something.

    I have gone and downloaded Avast! and installed it, and so far
    I am impressed by its non-intrusive behaviour. Just does its
    thing quietly in the background.

    I think I am a convert.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jun 1, 2008
  5. Dave Doe

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Peter Huebner <> wrote in

    > I have gone and downloaded Avast! and installed it, and so far
    > I am impressed by its non-intrusive behaviour. Just does its
    > thing quietly in the background.
    >
    > I think I am a convert.

    Good choice IMHO.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 1, 2008
  6. Dave Doe

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Peter Huebner" typed:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> Yeah, you try and find a link from the AVG site to their free site -
    >> I haven't seen one.
    >>
    >> BTW: if you dl AVG free again, get it from download.com - much bloody
    >> quicker, not the crippled speed you get from wherever AVG dish it up
    >> from. Just search for 'avg free'.
    >>

    > Er??? I downloaded AVG_free8 from free.grisoft.com at around
    > 200kB/sec.
    >
    > Then I tried to install it. It identifies my WinXP Pro (SP1) as
    > being Win2k and tells me I must install rollup SP4 before it
    > will work. Ha!
    >
    > AVG 7.5 now wants a reboot every time I download new
    > definitions. PLUS it bugs me with nag screens.
    >
    > Now I read comments from some people on the net who claim AVG8
    > takes about 4 times longer to do its thing than 7.5 ...
    >
    > I am losing patience with those fellows. They must have a new
    > marketing droid at the helm, or something.
    >
    > I have gone and downloaded Avast! and installed it, and so far
    > I am impressed by its non-intrusive behaviour. Just does its
    > thing quietly in the background.
    >
    > I think I am a convert.

    Interesting to hear. I've installed AVG 8 on four machines here and, other
    than a problem with the link scanner thing (now fixed) they've all been
    fine. I don't like that it doesn't have the 'downloading updates' when you
    start up, it just does it silently but I can live with that.

    All in all it's been a fairly seamless transition here. However, your vote
    for Avast is noted for future reference. ;-)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 2, 2008
  7. Dave Doe

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Peter Huebner" typed:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>>
    >>> Yeah, you try and find a link from the AVG site to their free site -
    >>> I haven't seen one.
    >>>
    >>> BTW: if you dl AVG free again, get it from download.com - much bloody
    >>> quicker, not the crippled speed you get from wherever AVG dish it up
    >>> from. Just search for 'avg free'.
    >>>

    >> Er??? I downloaded AVG_free8 from free.grisoft.com at around
    >> 200kB/sec.
    >>
    >> Then I tried to install it. It identifies my WinXP Pro (SP1) as
    >> being Win2k and tells me I must install rollup SP4 before it
    >> will work. Ha!
    >>
    >> AVG 7.5 now wants a reboot every time I download new
    >> definitions. PLUS it bugs me with nag screens.
    >>
    >> Now I read comments from some people on the net who claim AVG8
    >> takes about 4 times longer to do its thing than 7.5 ...
    >>
    >> I am losing patience with those fellows. They must have a new
    >> marketing droid at the helm, or something.
    >>
    >> I have gone and downloaded Avast! and installed it, and so far
    >> I am impressed by its non-intrusive behaviour. Just does its
    >> thing quietly in the background.
    >>
    >> I think I am a convert.

    > Interesting to hear. I've installed AVG 8 on four machines here and, other
    > than a problem with the link scanner thing (now fixed) they've all been
    > fine. I don't like that it doesn't have the 'downloading updates' when you
    > start up, it just does it silently but I can live with that.
    >
    > All in all it's been a fairly seamless transition here. However, your vote
    > for Avast is noted for future reference. ;-)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Shaun.
    >
    > DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
    > offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
    > If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
    > me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)

    Same here. Installed 8 on both comps and not a problem. Download speeds
    were good, installation went without a hitch, uninstalling 7.5 as it went,
    and it is less intrusive than 7.5, although I am not keen on the tool bars,
    but if you don't have them installed., it shows an error state. That pisses
    me off a bit. Cheers

    Tony in Oz, Jun 4, 2008
  8. Dave Doe

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Tony in Oz" typed:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Peter Huebner" typed:
    >>> In article <>,
    >>> says...

    >>> Er??? I downloaded AVG_free8 from free.grisoft.com at around
    >>> 200kB/sec.
    >>>
    >>> Then I tried to install it. It identifies my WinXP Pro (SP1) as
    >>> being Win2k and tells me I must install rollup SP4 before it
    >>> will work. Ha!
    >>>
    >>> AVG 7.5 now wants a reboot every time I download new
    >>> definitions. PLUS it bugs me with nag screens.
    >>>
    >>> Now I read comments from some people on the net who claim AVG8
    >>> takes about 4 times longer to do its thing than 7.5 ...
    >>>
    >>> I am losing patience with those fellows. They must have a new
    >>> marketing droid at the helm, or something.
    >>>
    >>> I have gone and downloaded Avast! and installed it, and so far
    >>> I am impressed by its non-intrusive behaviour. Just does its
    >>> thing quietly in the background.
    >>>
    >>> I think I am a convert.

    >> Interesting to hear. I've installed AVG 8 on four machines here and,
    >> other than a problem with the link scanner thing (now fixed) they've
    >> all been fine. I don't like that it doesn't have the 'downloading
    >> updates' when you start up, it just does it silently but I can live
    >> with that. All in all it's been a fairly seamless transition here.
    >> However,
    >> your vote for Avast is noted for future reference. ;-)
    >>

    > Same here. Installed 8 on both comps and not a problem. Download
    > speeds were good, installation went without a hitch, uninstalling
    > 7.5 as it went, and it is less intrusive than 7.5, although I am not
    > keen on the tool bars, but if you don't have them installed., it
    > shows an error state. That pisses me off a bit. Cheers

    Hi Tony,

    I somehow managed to have mine fully functional without the browser toolbars
    and without the error thing. Perhaps an uninstall and reinstall unselecting
    them at install time?

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 4, 2008
  9. Dave Doe

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "Tony in Oz" typed:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Peter Huebner" typed:

    >>> Interesting to hear. I've installed AVG 8 on four machines here and,
    >>> other than a problem with the link scanner thing (now fixed) they've
    >>> all been fine. I don't like that it doesn't have the 'downloading
    >>> updates' when you start up, it just does it silently but I can live
    >>> with that. All in all it's been a fairly seamless transition here.
    >>> However,
    >>> your vote for Avast is noted for future reference. ;-)
    >>>

    >> Same here. Installed 8 on both comps and not a problem. Download
    >> speeds were good, installation went without a hitch, uninstalling
    >> 7.5 as it went, and it is less intrusive than 7.5, although I am not
    >> keen on the tool bars, but if you don't have them installed., it
    >> shows an error state. That pisses me off a bit. Cheers

    > Hi Tony,
    >
    > I somehow managed to have mine fully functional without the browser
    > toolbars and without the error thing. Perhaps an uninstall and reinstall
    > unselecting them at install time?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Shaun.
    >
    > DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
    > offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
    > If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
    > me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)

    Cheers Shaun, I'll give it a shot... see how it goes...

    Tony in Oz, Jun 4, 2008
  10. Dave Doe

    Cima Guest

    On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 18:26:09 +1200, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarweb "Tony in Oz" typed:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Peter Huebner" typed:

    >>> Interesting to hear. I've installed AVG 8 on four machines here and,
    >>> other than a problem with the link scanner thing (now fixed) they've
    >>> all been fine. I don't like that it doesn't have the 'downloading
    >>> updates' when you start up, it just does it silently but I can live
    >>> with that. All in all it's been a fairly seamless transition here.
    >>> However,
    >>> your vote for Avast is noted for future reference. ;-)
    >>>

    >> Same here. Installed 8 on both comps and not a problem. Download
    >> speeds were good, installation went without a hitch, uninstalling
    >> 7.5 as it went, and it is less intrusive than 7.5, although I am not
    >> keen on the tool bars, but if you don't have them installed., it
    >> shows an error state. That pisses me off a bit. Cheers

    >Hi Tony,
    >
    >I somehow managed to have mine fully functional without the browser toolbars
    >and without the error thing. Perhaps an uninstall and reinstall unselecting
    >them at install time?

    This one worked for the PC I installed it on.
    http://john-sheehan.com/blog/index.php/disabling-the-avg-80-free-linkscanner/

    or: http://tinyurl.com/5tx47b

    "Enable LinkScanner in AVG, but then unload the browser addon manually"
    In IE:
    Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs tab, Manage add-ons:
    Highlight AVG Safe Search, then choose 'disable' - then click OK.

    Cima, Jun 4, 2008
  11. Dave Doe

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Cima" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 18:26:09 +1200, "~misfit~" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Somewhere on teh intarweb "Tony in Oz" typed:
    >>> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >>> Same here. Installed 8 on both comps and not a problem. Download
    >>> speeds were good, installation went without a hitch, uninstalling
    >>> 7.5 as it went, and it is less intrusive than 7.5, although I am not
    >>> keen on the tool bars, but if you don't have them installed., it
    >>> shows an error state. That pisses me off a bit. Cheers

    >>Hi Tony,
    >>
    >>I somehow managed to have mine fully functional without the browser
    >>toolbars
    >>and without the error thing. Perhaps an uninstall and reinstall
    >>unselecting
    >>them at install time?

    > This one worked for the PC I installed it on.
    > http://john-sheehan.com/blog/index.php/disabling-the-avg-80-free-linkscanner/
    >
    > or: http://tinyurl.com/5tx47b
    >

    > "Enable LinkScanner in AVG, but then unload the browser addon manually"
    > In IE:
    > Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs tab, Manage add-ons:
    > Highlight AVG Safe Search, then choose 'disable' - then click OK.

    You don't happen to have a link for the same thing using Firefox?
    Otherwise I;'ll search for it myself when I get a chance... Cheers

    Tony in Oz, Jun 4, 2008
  12. Dave Doe

    Cima Guest

    On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 22:33:21 GMT, "Tony in Oz" <> wrote:

    >"Cima" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 18:26:09 +1200, "~misfit~" <>
    >> wrote:

    >> This one worked for the PC I installed it on.
    >> http://john-sheehan.com/blog/index.php/disabling-the-avg-80-free-linkscanner/
    >>
    >> or: http://tinyurl.com/5tx47b
    >>

    >> "Enable LinkScanner in AVG, but then unload the browser addon manually"
    >> In IE:
    >> Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs tab, Manage add-ons:
    >> Highlight AVG Safe Search, then choose 'disable' - then click OK.
    >>

    > You don't happen to have a link for the same thing using Firefox?
    >Otherwise I;'ll search for it myself when I get a chance... Cheers

    Sorry. The ones I've disabled it on all used IE.... just did another today, the
    Yahoo/Xtra homepage took a good 30-40 seconds to load with it enabled - what a
    pile of junk that linkscanner is, horrendous!

    I might install it here on a test box with FF. Thinking it may be under
    Tools->Addons?

    Cima, Jun 5, 2008
  13. Dave Doe

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Cima" typed:
    > On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 22:33:21 GMT, "Tony in Oz" <> wrote:
    >

    >> "Cima" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 18:26:09 +1200, "~misfit~"
    >>> <> wrote:

    >>> This one worked for the PC I installed it on.
    >>> http://john-sheehan.com/blog/index.php/disabling-the-avg-80-free-linkscanner/
    >>>
    >>> or: http://tinyurl.com/5tx47b
    >>>

    >>> "Enable LinkScanner in AVG, but then unload the browser addon
    >>> manually" In IE:
    >>> Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs tab, Manage add-ons:
    >>> Highlight AVG Safe Search, then choose 'disable' - then click OK.
    >>>

    >> You don't happen to have a link for the same thing using Firefox?
    >> Otherwise I;'ll search for it myself when I get a chance... Cheers

    > Sorry. The ones I've disabled it on all used IE.... just did another
    > today, the Yahoo/Xtra homepage took a good 30-40 seconds to load with
    > it enabled - what a pile of junk that linkscanner is, horrendous!
    >
    > I might install it here on a test box with FF. Thinking it may be
    > under Tools->Addons?

    Or...

    You can copy the install file (avg_free_stf_en_8_100a1295.exe) to the root
    of a partition, the copy and paste this:

    <C:\avg_free_stf_en_8_100a1295.exe /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf
    /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch>

    exactly as-is, (without the 'greater than', lesser than symbols and changing
    the first letter/drive letter if yours is different) into the 'Run" box and
    hit "Ok", then click all the higlighted default options during install. It
    actually re-installs it without the bothersome stuff so re-downloading the
    updates will be required.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.