Re: Avast! wiped out my software last night!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by OldGringo38, Dec 4, 2009.

  1. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Devil's Advocate Post:
    > I was happy with Avast! until last night. Their site brags about them
    > having 100 million users now.
    >
    > Last night they had a false trojan alarm and wiped out 5 pieces of
    > software on my computer!
    >
    > Now I dont even know if I'm gonna have to pay for some of it, to get it
    > back again.
    >
    > Are they about to be sued up the kazoo for this?

    Avast, if set properly will allow you to make the decision as to what
    to do with the files it has detected, and the norm recommended is to
    place them in the virus chest. Using this procedure they can be very
    easily recovered and restored. Don't be so fucking eager to blame
    Avast when the major problem could be yours. I got the same false
    alarm and have no problems. Good Luck.

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere
    OldGringo38, Dec 4, 2009

  2. OldGringo38

    Mike Easter Guest

    OldGringo38 wrote:

    > I got the same false
    > alarm and have no problems.

    I recently changed my configuration (on one of my systems which I was
    using at the time of the 091203-0 update) to manually update instead of
    auto.

    Consequently, I 'missed' the 091203-0 update and got updated with the
    091203-1.

    I'm sure there are a lot of people, especially in European timezones,
    that missed the 091203-0 effect which would have needed to take place -
    and cause its trouble - between about midnight and about 6 am UTC, when
    some people are actually /sleeping/. :)

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 4, 2009

  3. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Mike Easter Post:
    > OldGringo38 wrote:
    >
    >> I got the same false
    >> alarm and have no problems.

    > I recently changed my configuration (on one of my systems which I was
    > using at the time of the 091203-0 update) to manually update instead of
    > auto.
    >
    > Consequently, I 'missed' the 091203-0 update and got updated with the
    > 091203-1.
    >
    > I'm sure there are a lot of people, especially in European timezones,
    > that missed the 091203-0 effect which would have needed to take place -
    > and cause its trouble - between about midnight and about 6 am UTC, when
    > some people are actually /sleeping/. :)

    That's cool , but it is always nice to learn how to drive before you
    buy a car. lol

    OldGringo38, Dec 4, 2009
  4. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    Two Cents To The Mike Easter Post:
    > OldGringo38 wrote:
    >
    >> I got the same false
    >> alarm and have no problems.

    > I recently changed my configuration (on one of my systems which I was
    > using at the time of the 091203-0 update) to manually update instead of
    > auto.
    >
    > Consequently, I 'missed' the 091203-0 update and got updated with the
    > 091203-1.
    >
    > I'm sure there are a lot of people, especially in European timezones,
    > that missed the 091203-0 effect which would have needed to take place -
    > and cause its trouble - between about midnight and about 6 am UTC, when
    > some people are actually /sleeping/. :)

    That's cool , but it is always nice to learn how to drive before you
    buy a car. lol
    PS: If my profanity offended you, I'm sorry. It was just my weak
    mind trying to express itself. <g>
    OldGringo38, Dec 4, 2009