Re: Avast to many false Positives

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Craig Sutton, Apr 12, 2008.

  1. Craig Sutton

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Brian Mathews" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I have noticed over a few months that Avast 4.7/4.8 Home gives far to
    > many false positives that
    > compared to what Kaspersky finds.
    >
    > As Kaspersky is rated as one of the top, I can no longer trust Avast..

    Eset nod32 is the best of the lot..

    Craig Sutton, Apr 12, 2008

  2. Craig Sutton

    > On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 22:29:02 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Brian Mathews" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> I have noticed over a few months that Avast 4.7/4.8 Home gives far to
    >>> many false positives that
    >>> compared to what Kaspersky finds.
    >>>
    >>> As Kaspersky is rated as one of the top, I can no longer trust Avast..
    >>>

    >>Eset nod32 is the best of the lot..

    > Tried Eset you can't turn it off, and is not the best of the lot.

    Which version did you try? just checked mine you can disable any part of it
    including realtime file monitoring.

    > I prefer not to have a Virus program running when I'm dnloding files as it
    > slows things down.

    B.S

    > I test the files afterwards.

    ah you don't know what you are doing.

    Craig Sutton, Apr 13, 2008

  3. Craig Sutton

    Kris Clayton Guest

    On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 10:03:14 +1200, Brian Mathews <>
    wrote:

    >>Eset nod32 is the best of the lot..

    Agree.

    >Tried Eset you can't turn it off, and is not the best of the lot.

    Rates extremely well on tests.

    Can be turned off:
    double click NOD32 icon in system tray
    click 'setup' on left-hand side
    click 'Temporarily disable Antivirus and Antispyware
    protection'

    (or in advanced mode)
    double click NOD32 icon in system tray
    click 'setup' on left-hand side
    click 'antivirus and antispyware protection'
    click 'disable' next to the three systems (realtime, e-mail,
    web)

    >I prefer not to have a Virus program running when I'm dnloding files as it slows things down.

    Proof please.

    >I test the files afterwards.

    Right/click "Scan with ESET Nod32 AntiVirus"

    * Doesn't slow my computer down like any Norton product
    * Doesn't pop up annoying messages in middle of screen like AVG
    product
    (unless it finds a virus, but I want to know then!)

    The company I work for *is* a NOD32 reseller but there's no bias here,
    I get to work with AVG, McAfee, Norton (yuck!) and other products
    day-to-day on clients machines.. most get converted to NOD32 of
    course... :)
    ... and I liked it so much I bought it for home as well.

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kris Clayton, Apr 14, 2008