Re: Automatic email retrieval

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Dec 16, 2009.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Glory wrote:
    > Is there a way to have Windows 7 wake up my computer, start up my
    > email program, and retrieve new messages while I'm away on a business
    > trip?

    Is the purpose of this waking/emailfetching to allow you to access the
    computer remotely, or is the purpose (just) to empty your mailbox on the
    mailserver, or is there some other purpose for wanting some unknown mail
    program to start and go online and access the mailserver account?

    > Alternatively, the email program could probably be left open but there
    > still needs to be some way to wake up the computer at a specific time.

    Is the purpose of waking the computer up remotely to access it remotely?
    You have never stated what you are trying to do.

    > I am NOT using Outlook for my email.

    Outlook OL is a mapi messaging et al application of MS Office suite
    which does email. OL is not OE Outlook Express which is *not* a mapi
    message app, but is a completely different mail/news client.

    - what is the mailagent you wish to use to access the mailserver?
    - what is the purpose of accessing the mailserver while you are not
    present - are you going to try to read that mail somehow or what?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 16, 2009

  2. Mike Easter

    Glory Guest

    On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 10:02:53 -0800, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >Glory wrote:
    >> Is there a way to have Windows 7 wake up my computer, start up my
    >> email program, and retrieve new messages while I'm away on a business
    >> trip?

    >Is the purpose of this waking/emailfetching to allow you to access the
    >computer remotely, or is the purpose (just) to empty your mailbox on the
    >mailserver, or is there some other purpose for wanting some unknown mail
    >program to start and go online and access the mailserver account?
    >
    >> Alternatively, the email program could probably be left open but there
    >> still needs to be some way to wake up the computer at a specific time.

    >Is the purpose of waking the computer up remotely to access it remotely?
    >You have never stated what you are trying to do.
    >
    >> I am NOT using Outlook for my email.

    >Outlook OL is a mapi messaging et al application of MS Office suite
    >which does email. OL is not OE Outlook Express which is *not* a mapi
    >message app, but is a completely different mail/news client.
    >
    > - what is the mailagent you wish to use to access the mailserver?
    > - what is the purpose of accessing the mailserver while you are not
    >present - are you going to try to read that mail somehow or what?

    The mail client is Pegasus. The purpose is to clear email from the
    server so it doesn't pile up while I am gone.

    Since writing this original question, I have attempted to create a new
    task in the task scheduler and have managed to get the computer to
    wake up from the sleep state and start up Pegasus. There is a hiccup
    in the process however since doing things this way opens a small
    window asking for my username which I normally do not have to provide
    all the time. Entering my username isn't working as an error pops up
    telling me that name isn't on the system.

    I am going to take my question over to the Pegasus user group and see
    if they can help over there.

    Glory, Dec 16, 2009

  3. Mike Easter

    Jordon Guest

    Glory wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 10:02:53 -0800, "Mike Easter"<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Glory wrote:
    >>> Is there a way to have Windows 7 wake up my computer, start up my
    >>> email program, and retrieve new messages while I'm away on a business
    >>> trip?

    >> Is the purpose of this waking/emailfetching to allow you to access the
    >> computer remotely, or is the purpose (just) to empty your mailbox on the
    >> mailserver, or is there some other purpose for wanting some unknown mail
    >> program to start and go online and access the mailserver account?
    >>
    >>> Alternatively, the email program could probably be left open but there
    >>> still needs to be some way to wake up the computer at a specific time.

    >> Is the purpose of waking the computer up remotely to access it remotely?
    >> You have never stated what you are trying to do.
    >>
    >>> I am NOT using Outlook for my email.

    >> Outlook OL is a mapi messaging et al application of MS Office suite
    >> which does email. OL is not OE Outlook Express which is *not* a mapi
    >> message app, but is a completely different mail/news client.
    >>
    >> - what is the mailagent you wish to use to access the mailserver?
    >> - what is the purpose of accessing the mailserver while you are not
    >> present - are you going to try to read that mail somehow or what?

    > The mail client is Pegasus. The purpose is to clear email from the
    > server so it doesn't pile up while I am gone.
    >
    > Since writing this original question, I have attempted to create a new
    > task in the task scheduler and have managed to get the computer to
    > wake up from the sleep state and start up Pegasus. There is a hiccup
    > in the process however since doing things this way opens a small
    > window asking for my username which I normally do not have to provide
    > all the time. Entering my username isn't working as an error pops up
    > telling me that name isn't on the system.

    You could try leaving Pegasus open and having the task scheduler
    start something other than Pegasus, like maybe a screen saver.
    Windows wakes up. Pegasus is already open and downloads messages.
    Windows goes back on standby after timeout.

    --
    Jordon

    Jordon, Dec 16, 2009
  4. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Glory wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> You have never stated what you are trying to do.

    >> - what is the mailagent you wish to use to access the mailserver?
    >> - what is the purpose of accessing the mailserver while you are not
    >> present - are you going to try to read that mail somehow or what?

    > The mail client is Pegasus. The purpose is to clear email from the
    > server so it doesn't pile up while I am gone.

    What is the name of your mail server?

    I would solve the problem differently than that. The problem is that
    your mailservice has a smallish mailbox which needs to be emptied
    periodically (or continuously, see below). There is no need to leave
    your computer in a wakeup state while you are gone.

    I would create a gmail account to which your current mailservice
    autoforwards the mail and does *not* leave a copy on the server (after
    you have tested it to see that it is working correctly).

    That way your mail is not only out of the current mailservers small
    mailbox, but it is also accessible by pop, imap, or webmail while you
    are away.

    When you return, you can access the gmailbox with pegasus and all of the
    mail comes flowing in.

    In this manner, you acquire a mailbox which is about 7.5G instead of
    whatever you have.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 16, 2009
  5. Is it Pegasus asking for the password or the Task Scheduler?

    your time.

    The Real Truth MVP, Dec 16, 2009
  6. Mike Easter

    chuckcar Guest

    Glory <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 10:02:53 -0800, "Mike Easter" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Glory wrote:
    >>> Is there a way to have Windows 7 wake up my computer, start up my
    >>> email program, and retrieve new messages while I'm away on a
    >>> business trip?

    >>Is the purpose of this waking/emailfetching to allow you to access the
    >>computer remotely, or is the purpose (just) to empty your mailbox on
    >>the mailserver, or is there some other purpose for wanting some
    >>unknown mail program to start and go online and access the mailserver
    >>account?
    >>
    >>> Alternatively, the email program could probably be left open but
    >>> there still needs to be some way to wake up the computer at a
    >>> specific time.

    >>Is the purpose of waking the computer up remotely to access it
    >>remotely? You have never stated what you are trying to do.
    >>
    >>> I am NOT using Outlook for my email.

    >>Outlook OL is a mapi messaging et al application of MS Office suite
    >>which does email. OL is not OE Outlook Express which is *not* a mapi
    >>message app, but is a completely different mail/news client.
    >>
    >> - what is the mailagent you wish to use to access the mailserver?
    >> - what is the purpose of accessing the mailserver while you are not
    >>present - are you going to try to read that mail somehow or what?

    > The mail client is Pegasus. The purpose is to clear email from the
    > server so it doesn't pile up while I am gone.
    >
    > Since writing this original question, I have attempted to create a new
    > task in the task scheduler and have managed to get the computer to
    > wake up from the sleep state and start up Pegasus. There is a hiccup
    > in the process however since doing things this way opens a small
    > window asking for my username which I normally do not have to provide
    > all the time. Entering my username isn't working as an error pops up
    > telling me that name isn't on the system.

    Leaving it completely blank might work - if you have *never* done it
    successfully. See below for details.

    That's not your windows logon. It's either another logon for windows
    itself (windows family logon it's called - quite different from the
    actual user name system your referring to) or the logon for client for
    Microsoft networking. This would depend on the entries within the
    properties for My network places.

    Below disables the windows family logon prompt. To disable the one
    from Client for Microsoft networking you change the primary network
    logon from Client for Microsoft networks to windows family logon and
    *then* do the below if you still get the prompt for windows family logon.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231

    Note when using regedit the *very* first thing *always* you do is export
    the registry to the desktop by doing Registry->Export registry file.

    However, Unless you're planing on getting greater than several MB of
    attachments in your email while your away (in which case sending a
    message to whoever you'd be receiving it from would be prudent IMHO.) I
    see no way anyone could reasonably expect the server to fill beyond it's
    capacity otherwise while you're away.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 16, 2009
  7. Mike Easter

    Glory Guest

    On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 12:23:39 -0800, "The Real Truth MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >Is it Pegasus asking for the password or the Task Scheduler?

    It appears to be Pegasus, though I'm not really sure. The Pegasus
    splash screen is visible and the small window appears over it with the
    request for username. Presumably, if the right one is entered the
    program would open fully and begin downloading mail.

    Glory, Dec 16, 2009
  8. Mike Easter

    Glory Guest

    On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 11:45:26 -0800, Jordon
    <> wrote:

    >You could try leaving Pegasus open and having the task scheduler
    >start something other than Pegasus, like maybe a screen saver.
    >Windows wakes up. Pegasus is already open and downloads messages.
    >Windows goes back on standby after timeout.

    If I can't solve the username issue, this sounds like the most logical
    alternative. Thanks.

    Glory, Dec 16, 2009
  9. Task Scheduler requires a user name and password to work in order to execute
    some programs. If you did not set one then go back and edit the settings to
    include one, it should be the username and password used to log into your
    computer with.

    your time.

    The Real Truth MVP, Dec 16, 2009